The cost of college

I'd say that most RTs today, under 40 years old, have Bachelor's degrees or even Master's.

My daughter wants to work either in Trauma or at a Children's Hospital. I'd rather she not do either because either one is going to be in a major urban area and I don't care what anyone thinks, urban areas are nasty, crime-ridden places and not safe for anyone. We will cross that bridge when it comes.

She's also talked about doing travel work once she has a year of experience; she says that most agencies require that.

Jeepman, if your nurse friend only makes $80k/year doing travel work, she isn't interested in working very much. That's about 1/2 of what a travel nurse makes working about four 12 hour shifts a week in most areas. Or she's in the wrong area(s), working for the wrong people.
My wife recently switched jobs and is now on a large “campus” with a children’s hospital. It’s on the edge of town.

We live 45 minutes away in the country.

My wife recently switched jobs and is now on a large “campus” with a children’s hospital. It’s on the edge of town.

We live 45 minutes away in the country.

What does she do there and how difficult to get there during the winter weather ?

Here's the dirty little secret. Sports programs lose money for virtually every university/college if mandatory student fees for those programs are subtracted. At some unis those fees can be in the thousands per year. TV rights and other such infusions of money don't put those programs in the black if student fees are deducted.

There is no good reason for sportsball to have the influence it does within higher education. Any student who chooses a uni because it has a "great" football or basketball program is an idiot. Any alumni who earmarks contributions to his alma mater for sportsball is likewise an idiot. We worship people who can throw or kick a ball far too much while STEM majors do without and drop out.

That is one of the reasons uni in the US costs so much. Take out sportsball, and uni would be cheaper. Foreign universities do not subsidize massive stadiums and coaches' salaries. Think about this when you wonder about costs and student debt.
Can you supply a source. Not saying your wrong, but these are all the fees for my kids at a SEC school - only other items are tuition and residence - which I left off. Perhaps they are skimming money or there is a "transfer" from one department to athletics? They also get free access to a huge gym - 2 pools, climbing wall, etc.

BTW - we don't participate or go to any sporting events - not our thing - so I have no horse in this race so to speak.

I presume out of state pay more?

COL Housing Supp Ed Fee $150.00 --
COL Engr & Comp Program Fee $1,500.00 --
COL Technology Fee $200.00 --
COL Housing Activity Fee $50.00 --
COL Security Network Fee $76.00 --
COL Mail & Pkg Service Fee $35.00

Any relevant training / education / skill set / trade can provide a very good living.

Art History and Philosophy major from a fancy high dollar school usually won’t lead at success.

Can you supply a source. Not saying your wrong, but these are all the fees for my kids at a SEC school - only other items are tuition and residence - which I left off. Perhaps they are skimming money or there is a "transfer" from one department to athletics? They also get free access to a huge gym - 2 pools, climbing wall, etc.

BTW - we don't participate or go to any sporting events - not our thing - so I have no horse in this race so to speak.

I presume out of state pay more?

COL Housing Supp Ed Fee $150.00 --
COL Engr & Comp Program Fee $1,500.00 --
COL Technology Fee $200.00 --
COL Housing Activity Fee $50.00 --
COL Security Network Fee $76.00 --
COL Mail & Pkg Service Fee $35.00
One small example:

Students paying thousands in athletic fees unknowingly

Guess I am just lucky - zero at my kids school. Thanks for posting, definitely an eye opener!

1663454221950.jpg