The boss got fired, then my coworker quit.

I feel your pain. Aviation maintenance is in a race to the bottom. I'm getting out this year. I'm over it.

How old are you? Under 40? 50? Do what I'm doing, go to flight school and start earning the big bucks.

Major pilot shortages for the next decade, due to the C word and upcoming mandatory retirements.

Actually my degree is Aviation management. I'm looking for logistics and management related jobs. I've been applying for airports and the like. There's no growth in apartment maintenance jobs.

The problem at least in Colorado is that the average maintenance person age is 51-53. Nobody is going into maintenance. Essentially they're balking at people who applied that want "alot" of money. The average maintenance person in Colorado is making $25-28 an hour to start. My employer is offering $18-20 an hour.
Obviously your employer is paying under market. You get what you pay for, right?
I knew a small business owner who told me she couldn't afford to pay anything more than minimum wage, and kept individual workers hours under 20 per week. She constantly complained about losing workers, etc. I told her she had a lousy business plan. Other people gotta eat too.

Hi All,

So last Friday my boss got himself canned, and yesterday my only co-worker walked out. I'm now stuck on-call indefinitely as they are "trying to figure something out." Does anyone here have a good way to negotiate or put pressure to get this fixed? I'm currently working with a job placement professional to get into another aviation role preferably in management. But, I've more or less laid it out that I can get a night manager stocking job at the local grocery store for the same money without being on-call. I don't want to burn any bridges but, I'm trying to find the best way to go about this.
Are you a contract employee with the current employer?

And unless you are being compensated with triple your current salary, your getting the short end of the stick.
I did speak with the head of maintenance as I'm stuck on-call for an additional week making it week number 3 next week. I was told I'll " more than make it worth your while." Who knows at this point. I do have a video conference call with my job placement professional that I've been working with.

I did speak with the head of maintenance as I'm stuck on-call for an additional week making it week number 3 next week. I was told I'll " more than make it worth your while." Who knows at this point. I do have a video conference call with my job placement professional that I've been working with.

Are you a union member ?

Best of luck, but I know I've heard the "we'll make it worth your while" when in addition to my own job I had the full responsibilities of someone who had retired and was doing most of what my both lazy and incompetent coworker in the next office should have been doing.

The "making it worth my while" was a year long empty promise of a "big" raise. For someone with a masters degree working in my field of study and taking on that load, my "big raise" was being bumped from $14.50 an hour to $16. I almost tore it up and threw it in their faces it was such an insult...especially considering that my co-worker who sat on their rear end all day while I did their job was pulling $45K a year.

Are you a union member ?
No thankfully. I worked for a grocery store that was union. I busted my rear end and every time a manager position opened up i interviewed. Every time they'd end up giving it to a long-term employee not necessarily someone who worked hard.

Best of luck, but I know I've heard the "we'll make it worth your while" when in addition to my own job I had the full responsibilities of someone who had retired and was doing most of what my both lazy and incompetent coworker in the next office should have been doing.

The "making it worth my while" was a year long empty promise of a "big" raise. For someone with a masters degree working in my field of study and taking on that load, my "big raise" was being bumped from $14.50 an hour to $16. I almost tore it up and threw it in their faces it was such an insult...especially considering that my co-worker who sat on their rear end all day while I did their job was pulling $45K a year.
The only "make it worth" they can do is to give you a retention bonus, telling you what you will get if you stay, instead of "if we like you we may consider giving you something" later.

The only "make it worth" they can do is to give you a retention bonus, telling you what you will get if you stay, instead of "if we like you we may consider giving you something" later.

This was a public job(big state university), and the concept of a "bonus" was as foreign as the concept of not buying prostitutes for your basketball recruits...oops I may have just given away where it was.

I still can't believe I stuck it out for 5 years there. I did manage to get my salary up to a somewhat acceptable level in a few steps, the first by putting an offer in front of them and the second when I finally actually had a good supervisor in there who didn't understand my job(he was an business guy, not a scientist) but did make it a point to understand just what all I was involved in making happen. He managed to twist some arms higher up and advocated for a 25% raise for me and one of the other employees in the department(and in the process made a couple of others really mad because...well...he realized his two lowest paid employees were also two of his most valuable and hardest working ones).

Of course I left within a year of getting that last raise, which I didn't ask for.

Hi All,

So last Friday my boss got himself canned, and yesterday my only co-worker walked out. I'm now stuck on-call indefinitely as they are "trying to figure something out." Does anyone here have a good way to negotiate or put pressure to get this fixed? I'm currently working with a job placement professional to get into another aviation role preferably in management. But, I've more or less laid it out that I can get a night manager stocking job at the local grocery store for the same money without being on-call. I don't want to burn any bridges but, I'm trying to find the best way to go about this.
The only issue it seems like to me is how old you are and how good is your retirement?

Situations like this separate the men from the boys. When things get tough, the boys jump ship.

Situations like this separate the men from the boys. When things get tough, the boys jump ship.

It's an employees market now.

If one person is doing the work of 3 and being paid under a fair market rate even to do one of those job, the employee is doing themselves a dis-service to not, as you phrase it, "jump ship" and either be given an appropriate workload and/or be paid wages that fairly reflect the current market and amount/level of work with which they're tasked.

I have enjoyed every "adult" job(full time, etc) job I've had. I take jobs were I like the work, and have toughed out bad management because of that.

With that said, this isn't a charity. My "like" of the work might convince me to accept a slightly lower wage than somewhere else where I didn't like the work as much, but at the end of the day I produce results(whatever those are within the scope of my assigned duties, or often for me within and outside those duties) and expect to be compensated fairly for them. My work "owns" me for 37.5 hours out of the week(what my employment contract says I am required to give them), and often for want of actually finishing tasks I choose to give more time than that.

The other 130.5 hours in a week are mine to use as I see fit. As I said, if I want to "gift" some of those to my employer, as I often do, I will do so as I choose. Outside that, however, I have a family I want to spend time with, hobbies to pursue, other "life" business to take care of, and of course I also need to sleep and eat in there. If an employer starts to feel entitled to more of my time than I've agreed to give them, and doesn't want to pay me for them(again, business, not charity) then we have problems.

Secure another job with a 2 week start date. Give your current employer your ultimatum in a nice, professional sympathetic way. Be prepared to walk.

Seriously, this company sounds like a joke. It's funny what we get used to though, I know.

Back