Had a real weirdo at my place this morning.

It’s funny we could start a whole new thread. But I’ve never understood the rationale where people are having work done and leave contractors alone. Btw if you’re wondering if they are taking pics all throughout your home, or not, they are. A coworker has shown me on his phone. Some even stream a channel.

So when I read the title weirdo, I assumed inside.

Yeah I had a guy knock on my door at 9pm a few months back wanting to give me a discount on pest control. I told him he needs to leave immediately. I called the police and apparently alot of people had this clown give them the same story. Very odd.
Checking if anyone's home? Then will plan accordingly.

A neighbor had a guy in some South American Native mask that was obviously high dance in front of his ring camera in a rather scary movie way. Creepy is the best word to describe it.

When I had my acreage, the only issue I had was a van of kids from California ditched their van on my gravel road and were stuck in the snow. I got them out and they offered me a beer. Said they were a band and heading to a recording studio. I wonder if they are famous now???

Nothing the person did or described indicates weirdo or mental based on quick description.

People get lost driving. Big deal.

However, some of the comments here just kind of rub me the wrong way. Someone got lost and drove down this guy's rural driveway, and his reaction to it got him 25 years to life in a New York prison.

A man who fatally shot a 20-year-old woman after the SUV she was riding in mistakenly drove into his rural driveway in upstate New York was sentenced Friday to more than 25 years to life in prison.​
Kevin Monahan, 66, was convicted of second-degree murder in the death last April of Kaylin Gillis. She was riding in a caravan of two cars and a motorcycle that was trying to leave after pulling into Monahan’s long, winding driveway while looking for a party at another person’s house in the town of Hebron.​
“I think it’s important that people know that it is not OK to shoot people and kill them who drive down your driveway,” Judge Adam Michelini said. Apart from the wider deterrent effect, Michelini said it’s important that Monahan remain behind bars rather than be free to harm more people.​
The judge handed down the maximum sentence after Gillis’ father, boyfriend and best friend told Monahan and the packed court room about their anguish and the immeasurable void in their lives.​

People get lost driving. Big deal.
Driving past a no-trespassing sign and through a gate (even though it is open), isn't necessarily 'no big deal'.

You're not supposed to be there, don't go there.

Should you shoot first and ask questions later?

Absolutely not, but if I were the property owner, I'm certainly not confronting the person without taking steps to protect myself, or calling the police, although in Chris's case, that help is far away and probably busy anyways.

At minimum it is a stellar lack of judgement on the driver's part. Private property rights are still a thing in most of the US.

Driving past a no-trespassing sign and through a gate (even though it is open), isn't necessarily 'no big deal'.

You're not supposed to be there, don't go there.

Should you shoot first and ask questions later?

Absolutely not, but if I were the property owner, I'm certainly not confronting the person without taking steps to protect myself, or calling the police, although in Chris's case, that help is far away and probably busy anyways.

At minimum it is a stellar lack of judgement on the driver's part. Private property rights are still a thing in most of the US.

It's always possible to see past a sign. I've been somewhat disoriented before driving down a backroad and I'm pretty sure I would have stood a good chance of missing any signs that may have been posted.

Sometimes the simpliest thing to so is just ask if someone is lost and perhaps help with extrication. When someone uses my driveway to back up, it's not my first inclination to perhaps prepare for a potentially violent confrontation over it.

And certainly in many states (including California) there are people who have a right to enter a property to inspect it without permission from the owner. That could include public utilities with easements. Or even a fire inspector.

It's always possible to see past a sign. I've been somewhat disoriented before driving down a backroad and I'm pretty sure I would have stood a good chance of missing any signs that may have been posted.

Sometimes the simpliest thing to so is just ask if someone is lost and perhaps help with extrication. When someone uses my driveway to back up, it's not my first inclination to perhaps prepare for a potentially violent confrontation over it.

And certainly in many states (including California) there are people who have a right to enter a property to inspect it without permission from the owner. That could include public utilities with easements. Or even a fire inspector.
In a beat up minivan?

Our property used to be a cow pasture that was subdivided into two sections but later recombined. The driveway to our house is concrete and there’s a gravel drive on the other section that leads to the barn. The two are separated by trees and a fence. It’s fine for a truck but I’ve never tried to drive a passenger car down it because it’s steep and also because I’m afraid I’ll high center. At least twice I’ve looked out the window and seen a commercial van drive down it then turn around, go back to the highway and come down our drive. In both cases they were looking for our neighbor on the next ridge who apparently can’t give directions.

More than once I’ve looked out the window and seen a 4wd truck going in or out. This usually happens a week or two before deer season. I bought a chain and lock for the gate but it’s annoying so I still leave it open. One of my neighbors has the same problem and his approach is to lock them in and make them ask to be let out. I think that’s a good way to get yourself murdered by a poacher.

Challenge I have with no trespassing signs on my end and property owners is in NH at least they need to be posted every 50 feet to be valid.

Many people post them inappropriately near beach nearby on their property however in legit parking or egress.

They make it appear as if they own right of way as we walk in front of their oceanfront view observing them eating dinner.

Challenge I have with no trespassing signs on my end and property owners is in NH at least they need to be posted every 50 feet to be valid.

Many people post them inappropriately near beach nearby on their property however in legit parking or egress.

They make it appear as if they own right of way as we walk in front of their oceanfront view observing them eating dinner.
Interesting.
In NY, you don’t need to post. Assume land that isn’t yours isn’t to be trespassed on.

Our house is 1100 ft back and barely visible off the main road, down a gravel driveway and over a wood bridge that spans our creek. We've had so many uninvited guests I lost count. A few months ago I was out in the (detached) garage, both bay doors and the workshop door open, stereo going, and I hear the sound of a car pulling up through the gravel. Car stops right in front of the garage, and a middle aged guy gets out and starts looking around while standing by the side of the car. I walked out of the garage, looked at him, he looks at me and smiles and says nothing. After about 3-4 seconds of extremely awkward silence I say "You know you're on private property?" and he says "Yea, I figured, I just wanted to see what it looks like back here, you cant tell from the road". I pointed at his car, then pointed toward the road, and made an exaggerated wave goodbye with my hand. Silently, he got back into his car, and drives out.

I like living on a large parcel of old farmland, not far at all from the suburban neighborhoods right up the road, but far enough that the relative silence and (perceived) privacy is great, but it lends itself too heavily to trespassers, poachers, and people who generally feel like its ok to just wander around other people's property if they get a whim to go exploring.

In a beat up minivan?

The homeowner fired two rounds from his shotgun while on his porch, hitting the girl in the neck as she was sitting in the passenger seat of her BF's SUV. Now a mom and dad get to bury their 20 year old daughter because some idiot shoots into a group who accidentally turned into his driveway.

I'm in an area surrounded by Airbnb's. I have no trespassing signs all over but they still come down my driveway thinking my house is their airbnb. Usually telling them is enough. I had one woman on my porch with around 5 bags of groceries try to push her way in to my house when I opened the screen door, like I was the greeting committee or something, and I pushed her back hard enough she fell. She called the Sheriff who kicked her off my property and threatened to arrest her. I'm not going to shoot anyone for doing it, but you can be sure they aren't coming in either.

We have a private drive that leads back to 30 acres, it looks public but we maintain it. It comes right off the main road but you have to make an effort to turn down it. It is very clearly marked with "Private Drive Do Not Enter" signs on both sides, have lost count of the number of cars that get halfway down and do a 3 point turn over the years.

Our house is 1100 ft back and barely visible off the main road, down a gravel driveway and over a wood bridge that spans our creek. We've had so many uninvited guests I lost count. A few months ago I was out in the (detached) garage, both bay doors and the workshop door open, stereo going, and I hear the sound of a car pulling up through the gravel. Car stops right in front of the garage, and a middle aged guy gets out and starts looking around while standing by the side of the car. I walked out of the garage, looked at him, he looks at me and smiles and says nothing. After about 3-4 seconds of extremely awkward silence I say "You know you're on private property?" and he says "Yea, I figured, I just wanted to see what it looks like back here, you cant tell from the road". I pointed at his car, then pointed toward the road, and made an exaggerated wave goodbye with my hand. Silently, he got back into his car, and drives out.

I like living on a large parcel of old farmland, not far at all from the suburban neighborhoods right up the road, but far enough that the relative silence and (perceived) privacy is great, but it lends itself too heavily to trespassers, poachers, and people who generally feel like its ok to just wander around other people's property if they get a whim to go exploring.

That would freak my family out.

Back