The best oil .

Status
Not open for further replies.

md1

Ok here it goes. I like to know what is the best oil. I don’t want to know what is the best oil for the money, the best for long OCI, the best for short OIC, not just what will just get the job done, or what the manufacture said will be just ok. I want the best you can find at most auto part store. Lets say all the oil was free, so you could choose what ever you wanted.
I have 2 vehicles. One is a 2008 Nissan Frontier with the 4-liter V6 and the other is a Honda Accord with the 2.4 liter 4. Both automatic. I know the Honda is easy on oil
The Honda calls for 5w-20 and the Nissan calls for 5w-30. Would it be ok to run 5w-20 in both or should I run the 5w-30 in the truck. Please don’t say the best oil is whatever is on sell and meets the manufacture recombinations. The cars are driving about 10 mile a day one way and 10 miles back. Never over 50 mph in town mostly and it take about 15 to 20 mins. I tow a medium trailer with an 800lb ATV about once a month with the truck.
In my other vehicles I have ran MC, CGT, M1 and Royal Purple (500 hp blower car). These 2 I want to keep for 20 years. I change my own oil, trans and differential fluid.
I am not trying to be a butt; I am looking for an answer that is not based on money to do the job well, but what is the best for my cars and conditions.

Thanks for your time
Mark

Last edited:
I personally think that Amsoil motor oils are the very best money can buy. They've got a formula for every possible application.

Amsoil is the company that the other companies copy.

Dude, you could run the cheapest currant API SM rated oil and them two cars will run 300,000 miles!!!

don't sweat it,pick something you think is right for you and pull the trigger.......

Amsoil is some of the best stuff money can buy, especially for extended drains. Plus, they make EXCELLENT transmission fluid. Couldn't be happier with it, and it's all I'll use in my Honda transmission. I also feel Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent oil and also readily available and reasonably priced. So, either Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum would be my choice. But really, it's hard to go wrong with any oil these days. I agree with daman.
thumbsup2.gif

Since you need it available at any parts store....

M1 in the respective spec'd weights ..and for that matter ..whatever is applicable for the rest of the drive train in M1

change it every 6 months if you're not going to test it.

If you have an AutoZone nearby, then German Castrol (GC) will be available.

You've eliminated all but the OTC oils
21.gif

My top picks are Redline and Amsoil PAO for those extreme applications and for air cooled engines, and for all other applications, Valvoline (any version you please, though I particularly like Maxlife). As for tranny, PS, rear end, definitely go synthetic.

I doubt you or your vehicles can tell a difference between store brand dino and amsoil sso unless you are extendeding oci's.

Thanks to everyone who responded
Please keep the info coming
I really enjoy this forum.
The guys at work think I am crazy for reading about motor oil. But I do this with most of my passions.
Computers, Cars and guns

again thanks

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
"The guys at work think I am crazy for reading about motor oil."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, they're not wrong.

LMAO!!! At work I get the same treatment..my buddys allways ask me in a mocking sort of way..."how's Bob?".. LOL

I maintain 5 cars.
2004 GTO (built Stroker)
2005 Mercedes E320
07 Silverado
06 G6 GT
08 Cavalier

So I go from muscle car to 4 banger in my "environment" :) Schaeffer's oils consistently return outstanding UOA's performance/mileage/cleanliness in all my cars. So if I was on a deserted island and only one brand of oil....it would be Shaeffer's. If I was surrounded with free oil from any manufacturer and Shaeffers was $5 bucks a quart...I'd write a check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back