The Animal Shelters Are Full...

An animal hospital wanted to charge us $2.4k for a CT scan on our cat.

My mom and step father paid $5,000 to have a MRI done on their dog Jake… And that was 17 years ago they paid that. Total costs spent on Jake was $11,000…

He got to where he could not eat or drink well because his jaw was not working correctly. He jaw would just drop.. After all the tests and including that 5k MRi my mom and step father just couldn’t spend much more money on him.

Jake slowly got better and better in the weeks following that prolonged period of his jaw and associated muscles and nerves not working properly. Eventually Jake improved and was totally fine.

My mom believed that the immunization shot Jake had caused that problem to begin with.. I believe she was right, And Jake’s regular Vet thought the same thing could have caused that serious issue with him.

Too many people got pets over the lockdown and couldn't handle the responsibility.

This has been a huge issue in the UK too!

Would love to adopt a rescue dog, but with two young kids at home we had to opt for a puppy. A puppy which ended up being two puppies because one of the siblings in the litter was missing a paw and nobody wanted him so we ('we' being my Wife) offered to have him for a minimal fee as he was potentially going to be put to sleep.

When we adopted our dog last month, the shelter was very full. It was sad.

One of the workers had been fostering our dog to make room for others. He also had to leave her in his car while we was there too.

i got my dog from a shelter . 12 years and still doing great. regular vet visits and the vet cannot believe how healthy he is and still acting like a puppy ...maybe that's a good thing.

Too many people got pets over the lockdown and couldn't handle the responsibility.

Over the last year or so a lot of companies have stopped allowing people to work from home which can cause problems.

Renters who move and landlords who don't allow pets. Etc.

Reactions: D60
Agree, immature choice during the lockdown for fun and comfort. Now wash their hands of "the burden" of properly taking care of the dog (or cat). Sad and honestly the ones in the shelters might be better off than the neglected and abused ones at home.

I've had several adopted dogs over the years but the last 5 years the applications for adoption are unrealistically invasive privacy wise anymore so I quit. A lot are 10 pages of info they want. Then you don't hear back from them. What do they do with the info? It's almost like a child adoption background check.....

I've had several adopted dogs over the years but the last 5 years the applications for adoption are unrealistically invasive privacy wise anymore so I quit. A lot are 10 pages of info they want. Then you don't hear back from them. What do they do with the info? It's almost like a child adoption background check.....
Yes, we have to be super careful who we let adopt a dog, that we are about to euthanize.

That's why I don't get cats at shelters any more. No need to since plenty seem to show up at the house.

Yes, we have to be super careful who we let adopt a dog, that we are about to euthanize.
The local Humane Society shelter I went. It was a private home and they must have had over 15 dogs running loose in the house. I was turned down as I would be leaving the dog alone while I went to work. Something I had been doing with dogs and cats for decades.

I was convinced the person was a hoarder.

And I agree on the Pit Bulls. Probably at least 80%.

I think vets are worth more. Human physicians only have to learn one set of body systems. Vets have to know every system of lizards, to fish, to farm animals , to dogs, to hamsters etc.

I've heard that if you cant make it as a vet, you become a physician ( just kidding).
Vets can specialize in just cats (or dogs) if they want to.

Regarding the rise in medical care costs, I couldn’t agree more. I, for the first time with any of our dogs over the years, obtained pet medical insurance for our current boy, Gus. Thankfully haven’t had to use it up to this point but after having one of our dogs in the past go through cancer treatment with it’s associated costs, we decided to get it.

The local Humane Society shelter I went. It was a private home and they must have had over 15 dogs running loose in the house. I was turned down as I would be leaving the dog alone while I went to work. Something I had been doing with dogs and cats for decades.

I was convinced the person was a hoarder.

And I agree on the Pit Bulls. Probably at least 80%.

For years we stopped ourselves from getting a dog because we were working all day. Everywhere you look suggests it's not fair and totally negligent to leave them.

I changed my job last year that allows me to work from home for 3 days a week. Those 3 days I work from home I do not see the dogs at all. They sleep ALL DAY! When I come out of my office for lunch they barely pick up their heads to look to see who it is. I don't feel at all guilty for the 2 days that I have to go to the office.

Last edited:
Back