Thanks for the deletion of valid posts mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never used the Mod Alert feature in 4 years! That's a good thing, I think. I might consider it though....but I've learned my lesson and really don't get involved in stupidity any more. That's why I'm so confounded when benign posts get deleted. I guess it'll work itself out. Overall, there is not a lot to complain about here. We all get something that cannot be had anywhere else. Since buying my Acura, I've needed to go onto a RSX Forum full of totally idiotic kids. Man, it's beyond bad and beyond crazy there, a total ******* nightmare! Whew.

Is your forum still open Mike? I haven't been over there in quite a while, but I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before...
rolleyes.gif

Tony seems like a nice guy, and he/they do a better job of moderating a board this size than most people give them credit for, even if they are a little "heavy handed" with the mod stick sometimes. He lets a good deal of the little stuff slide, and from what I have seen, the 5 or 6 mods usually only delete posts that evolve into cat fights. My only remaining beef with them is when someone cans a topic before it goes downhill, but you just can't have it all sometimes... they do need time to get away from the computer once in a while! (eyestrain, bathroom breaks, quick snacks, stuff like that
grin.gif
)

quote:

This board is a odd BALANCE of opinion,learning,sharing,science,and fact.

My favorite!

quote:

I don't read Hyundai, Audi, VW, Honda or other car posts. I am just frankly not interested in them. Now talk about a roaring, smoke belching Cummins, PSD or Duramax and you get my full attention on every post in that thread.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
cheers.gif

After you become a moderator or administrator you guys would look at it differently. I occasionally miss one or two posts.. and I spend over six hours on the site i'm a admin on. The use of the "report post" does help out quite a bit. I hate deleting posts and banning users but it has to be done, moving posts are more of a pita. I haven't seen any personal grudges on here like i've seen on other boards.. so in my opinion Bio-t and the others are doing a good job.

Tamu_man and other members that don't know how things work here, please send one of us a PM(private message) if you have a complaint or a concern. Also, I am one that will not hesitate in a second to lock any post that contains anything the least bit religious, sexual or political. Personal attacks need not apply either
grin.gif
Guys plain and simple, this is the best board on the internet, if you don't like it, don't hang out here.

[ May 15, 2006, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

To amplify what some others have already said. This is a privately owned forum. NEWSFLASH: the First Amendment does not apply here. It only restricts government action. Tony is free to censor the daylights out of it if he wants, for any reason, or no reason at all. Likewise, if you attend a party in Tony's home, and you don't like "the scene," you're free to leave, just as you are here. Many of us have had a judgmental lapse or two euthanized, and it's turned out for the better. I think the mods balance things pretty well. Secksual stuff and brazen disrespect won't cut it here. Adjust and enjoy!

I vote to keep BITOG just the way it is. I've dropped 3 other boards because of the juivy junk.

Tony, keep on keeping on.
wink.gif
wink.gif
cheers.gif

BTW; I am following your bio-D project. Just wish I was in a position to do something like that.

I was a mod for a while. None of you have a clue what goes on behind the scenes. I take my hat off to the mods and to Tony. Compared to other boards I frequent, they are fair and are enforcing laid down rules that some seem not to be able to understand. This board is great for info but there seems to always be a poop stirrer around when you dont need them.

Hail to the mods and Tony.
bowdown.gif

I was a mod too for a while... There was a call for some folks to become mods, since the site was growing really fast...

Its tough to mod, and have a combination of editiong, moving, adjusting posts, scanning everywhere, and then also trying to contribute to the site in a meaningful way... The mods we have are good at it. So good, i guess, that the bunch of us that were helping out, didnt need to anymore!

If this site had a bunch of immature kids (like the honda sites), or people were less civil, it either would require a LOT more mod effort, be a lot less enjoyable of a site to go to, or else would need a LOT more mods to control.

We're using thier (Tony's) bandwidth, lets try to keep it civil and respect what they wish to have the site be like...

JMH

I recently left AskMeHelpDesk, a general Q&A site, because I feel the moderators are heavy handed and don't share my priorities. They are free to run their board as they want. If I feel knowledge, honesty and integrity are disdained there, I am free to leave. The big losers are the people going there for advice.

As EKPOLK said, it's their sandbox. We're only here to play and we have to play by their rules. If you don't like that it's time to pick up your toys and go home.

This board is clearly one of the best moderated boards around. Seeing some of the garbage spewed forth on boards with more relaxed standards make this all the more attractive. This board is showing outstanding success for one main reason-the direction the moderators steer it. They have my gratitude for a tough job well done.

Tamuman, I reported your post. I have no problem posting that. I enjoy being able to communicate with other enthusiast in a mature manner and therefore I really enjoy BITOG.

If you have an issue with why I reported you may PM me and I will be glad to explain why I thought your post was out of line.

Tight moderation is the key to a good board.
The boards I keep coming back to have good to exceptional moderation.
The ones that make me ill are the ones where the mods let anything go.
Ones boards let every idiot post every fool thing, the smart regulars leave and you get stuck with the bottom 25%-quality posters.
We so wouldn't have Tery, Pablo, Molakule, etc if the moderation was loose. Instead, we'd be an entire forum of people who asked "can I really use 5W20" and "Ford says I can go 5000 in normal service, will that make my Focus blow up?" 852 times a day.

No complaints here. I'll take a veiled jab at someone once in a while. But I think most of us know where the line in the sand is.
smile.gif

Seems to me tamu_man went off on a similar rant last month, same issue, apparently he has problems understanding the concept of appropriate language & comments.
wink.gif

What with all the HR policies in today's workplace, it's hard to conceive how a person, with little regard for appropriate conduct & language, can even hold a job!

I readily admit that some of my comments are probably getting close to the edge at times, but I fully accept the idea that Tony is the "boss", and it's his call, as to what is appropriate.

We have many intelligent members here who make solid contributions on a daily & weekly basis. If Tony did not maintain a dignified & professional posting environment, it wouldn't be long before some would hit the road.

Tony, thanks for riding herd on the posts and maintaining a classy forum!

quote:

Originally posted by johnsmith:
Is your forum still open Mike? I haven't been over there in quite a while, but I'm pretty sure this topic has come up before...
rolleyes.gif

Yep, the forum is open. Not much traffic since spring has come, I imagine most people aren't at the keyboard as much and are outdoors more now. Besides, it's best for talking politics and events. Many of the events lately have been the Duke case, which is really a yawner.

I have it easy being a Mod on my board as essentially only BITOG members have signed up...they're the easist bunch to manage! I'm reaping the benefits of Tony's rules and the people who've signed up are a cut-above anyway. Only one incident since the board was started. Not bad.

Kudos to the BITOG members, and to Tony!!

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back