Not taking the freedom of ICE vehicles for granted

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
It is 0522 this morning as I post this little thread. I woke up at 0330, unable to sleep from working in a time zone averaging 12 hour difference for the last eight weeks. I arrived home OOA 0030 yesterday (Saturday) morning. One of the first things I did when I came home, was check the trickle charger on my beater 2005 Mercedes S-class, I used a trickle charger I was not sure was up for the challenge- it was.

Slept for a few hours, and then woke up and took the "beater" Mercedes for a drive to the post office. What joy it was to get behind of the wheel of my wrongly neglected (by me) 235k salvage vehicle Mercedes. For the past eight weeks, I had a driver most every day. But I had to coordinate in advance where I was going. The driver(s) had limits such as a 12-hour workday I had to follow. This morning I want to get into one of my vehicles and go for some bacon and eggs (can't because breakfast places around here don't get cooking until after 7am). But I have the freedom with an ICE to do what I want to do, without needing to coordinate with anyone else.

Even though I had transportation always available, living eight weeks under someone else's rules gave me a great appreciation for the freedoms an ICE vehicle brings to an INDIVIDUAL. One I will never take for granted.

1679835585525.jpg

I had a driver when I was in Panama in the late '90's. He was a super nice fellow but he was always opening the door for me, and I had to sit in the rear seat, plus call ahead if I wanted to go somewhere. It was an experience that I didn't like, so after a few days I rented a car and drove myself around.

For the uses you listed would you have less freedom with an EV? Your post office isn't 250 miles away is it?

Did you specify ICE to stir the pot?;)

Yea-we all know EVs have a secret transponder that will report to the government you are going for bacon and eggs. There goes your freedom.

Yea-we all know EVs have a secret transponder that will report to the government you are going for bacon and eggs. There goes your freedom.

I don’t know how accurate it is, but some recent police dramas have law enforcement tracking newer vehicles by tapping into their GPS systems. Ostensibly this is to track a stolen car or when suspects aren’t aware they’re being tracked. I do think the scene in F8 of the Furious where someone hacks into dozens of cars to control them like a fleet of RC vehicles is a fantasy.

For the uses you listed would you have less freedom with an EV? Your post office isn't 250 miles away is it?

Did you specify ICE to stir the pot?;)
I've only owned ICEs- I am currently insuring nine of them for my Wife and me (and anyone that needs to borrow a vehicle). ICEs provide me the freedom that matches for me. Another poster in this thread posted a skateboard gives him the same freedom as a ICE. To each their own.

Waffle house - yet one more reason living in the South is better.

I dunno. I was doing a eork assignment in the Phoenix area and saw a few. Never really hear of them before the movie Tin Cup. I mentioned maybe trying out Waffle House to one of my coworkers, and was told “You can do better than that.” But there’s no shortage of 24 hour diners, where it’s Denny’s or IHOP. Heck, where I live there’s a small chain of 24 hour burger places. I’ve even gone there on Christmas Dsy.

Wow, as I get older, I’m losing my connection with the present. I had to Google what the term ICE meant. 🫤
Me too. I thought crystal meth? and then immigration and customs. I never heard it used for a gasoline engine. Maybe they say that in WoW for which I know not 99% of the lingo :)

I dunno. I was doing a eork assignment in the Phoenix area and saw a few. Never really hear of them before the movie Tin Cup. I mentioned maybe trying out Waffle House to one of my coworkers, and was told “You can do better than that.” But there’s no shortage of 24 hour diners, where it’s Denny’s or IHOP. Heck, where I live there’s a small chain of 24 hour burger places. I’ve even gone there on Christmas Dsy.
There is certainly better, but there always open. There is a whole well studied and well correlated way to rate hurricanes based on how long it takes waffle house to re-open - if they close at all. https://www.accuweather.com/en/accuweather-ready/what-is-the-waffle-house-index/667995

Its definitely a Southern thing.

I lived in the midwest for a while - there's was a Denny's thing - but I don't think there open 24 hours here.

Back