Not taking the freedom of ICE vehicles for granted

There is certainly better, but there always open. There is a whole well studied and well correlated way to rate hurricanes based on how long it takes waffle house to re-open - if they close at all. https://www.accuweather.com/en/accuweather-ready/what-is-the-waffle-house-index/667995

Its definitely a Southern thing.

I lived in the midwest for a while - there's was a Denny's thing - but I don't think there open 24 hours here.

I think they target 24 hours at all locations unless hours are limited by law. It’s kind of difficult now because of worker shortages.

It’s really something being at one at 5 in the morning with no place else to go for a couple hours.

All night diners keep you awake
On black coffee and a hard roll

Oh yeah! Well beat this you ham and egger! (jk!)

I drove 11 hours from West Palm Beach to the bucolic confines of northwest Georgia two days ago in a silver 2006 Toyota Avalon with only 47,000 miles on it.

I tanked up the night before and drove 75 miles an hour on Florida's 'pay me now or never' Turnpike, and had along with my son who had a list 300 questions, all pre-planned and categorized, ready for this trip.

Oh the joy I had!!! No radio. No music. No news. Nothing but 11 hours staring through a windshield.

About 400 miles in I refilled the Toyota Avalon which took FAW-EH-VAH! I'm not kidding. Some people go to the bathroom quicker than pump number 11 at the Circle K in Valdosta.

First it wouldn't work. Then I had to pre-pay. Then I pumped the gas. Then I went to the restroom. Then I came back and it was... still... pumping... gas....

I eventually made it home after dropping my son off at college. 30 miles per gallon. About $60 for the trip. The next day I filled up my Chevy Bolt with 36kWh of free electricity while eating samples at the nearby Costco and Sam's Club. That's good for 170 miles of range.

Almost forgot the food amongst all this navel gazing! I bought apples, bananas, and carrots as snacks for the trip and we each got a Double Cheeseburger to go at McDonalds (B1G1 Free).

Total cost, breakfast and lunch for two people, was about $10.

I plan on selling the dealer maintained Avalon with only 47,000 original miles for $10,995. About $1600 in profit. I can then deduct the mileage off my taxes.

There is certainly better, but there always open. There is a whole well studied and well correlated way to rate hurricanes based on how long it takes waffle house to re-open - if they close at all. https://www.accuweather.com/en/accuweather-ready/what-is-the-waffle-house-index/667995

Its definitely a Southern thing.

I lived in the midwest for a while - there's was a Denny's thing - but I don't think there open 24 hours here.
Many Denny's do not even locks on the doors since they never close. Some decided to close for Xmas a few years ago and ran into problems that they didn't have locks on the doors or they couldn't find the keys to lock the doors since the keys were never used before.

Many Denny's do not even locks on the doors since they never close. Some decided to close for Xmas a few years ago and ran into problems that they didn't have locks on the doors or they couldn't find the keys to lock the doors since the keys were never used before.
I could only think of one Denny's in the area so I searched. looks like there were two, Google says there permanantly closed. I googled Waffle house and there are 20+ within a 30 minute drive.

I have been to Denny's when I was in the midwest and it was fine. Still prefer waffle house. Small footprint means there everywhere. If you show up alone guaranteed someone will try to have a full on conversation with you. Your coffee cup will never make it below half.

Everyone should try waffle house - but I really don't know if they would be the same if there not in the South.

I could only think of one Denny's in the area so I searched. looks like there were two, Google says there permanantly closed. I googled Waffle house and there are 20+ within a 30 minute drive.

I have been to Denny's when I was in the midwest and it was fine. Still prefer waffle house. Small footprint means there everywhere. If you show up alone guaranteed someone will try to have a full on conversation with you. Your coffee cup will never make it below half.

Everyone should try waffle house - but I really don't know if they would be the same if there not in the South.
I went to Waffle House twice. Once many years ago with my ex wife while driving to Florida. A fight broke out with some customers. No one seemed bothered. We wanted to play the Waffle House song on the jukebox but were strongly suggested by the workers to not do that. LOL. I went with my current wife to a Waffle House in Orlando and we walked in and left. It was a bit rough around the edges. LOL.

Not that we go there but Denny's has sentimental value to my wife and me.

Waffle house - yet one more reason living in the South is better.

Every waffle house I've ever seen looks run down worse than a neglected Checkers. Albeit I don't think I've ever seen a breakfast chain restaurant that was nice. Food is rather...eh....

Honestly, I don't see how is this only a freedom of ICE engine cars but not an EV. If you live in a place where you can get an EV, most likely you will have some form of charging even if you don't charge at home. Newly build apartment, malls, nice strip malls, offices, etc all have chargers these days (although they have to make a buck just like your gas station has to), and you can plan your days correctly to get the cheapest charging OR you can go somewhere, then stop by somewhere else for a fast charging. It is not perfect but at least today you can get things done. At today's EV cost, if you can afford one you are upper middle class and you will likely be around places with chargers here and there, or live somewhere with easy access to charging (your own home, or rent somewhere with a charging outlet), otherwise you won't buy one.

One day EVs will get old and cheap, and one day homeless will be living in them like they live in ICE engine cars, and one day even low income neighborhood will have chargers and even homeless will be charging their EV at night while running accessories to keep themselves comfortable.

Anyone who denies that an ice vehicle is more convenient is void of reality and unable to accept that reality.
This does not mean that it doesn’t matter to some people or that those people do not find it an inconvenience.
The discussion to change the above reality is plain silly.

The bigger question is why do EV promoters state otherwise and soneone please explain why they think the ICE should just go away?

Kind of reminds me of our brand new 1 week old house that we moved into less than a week ago.

Like a “cult” we got one of those new super high efficiency “tankless” water heaters hanging on the side of my house, ugly as heck, something like a third world country if you ask me, yay I’m helping save Mother Earth according to promoters and also one “feature” of the home. If the option existed I would have chosen a gas hot water tank heater.

So now I have this new tankless state of the art instant water heater. Yay, how much will it save me a month? Couple dollars in gas if that much by not having a 50 gallon tank of hot water available to me at all times?
Much like EVs they are based on a technology back 80 years ago!

So now when I take a shower or want to wash up with hot water I have to be inconvenienced by wasting 10 times the amount of water waiting for the thing to kick in and make it’s way through the house🤨
Ahh yes but let’s call wasting boat loads of water “earth friendly” and I’m sure in the long run I won’t be saving a dime as the cost of all the water I’m wasting will cost me just as much as I save in gas, but who cares why do I have to go backwards in time?

But forget all the above, here I am taking a step back in my standard of living based on an agenda sold to the public by corporations and their promoters and it has nothing to do with earth friendly and everything to do with more profits.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see how is this only a freedom of ICE engine cars but not an EV. If you live in a place where you can get an EV, most likely you will have some form of charging even if you don't charge at home. Newly build apartment, malls, nice strip malls, offices, etc all have chargers these days (although they have to make a buck just like your gas station has to), and you can plan your days correctly to get the cheapest charging OR you can go somewhere, then stop by somewhere else for a fast charging. It is not perfect but at least today you can get things done. At today's EV cost, if you can afford one you are upper middle class and you will likely be around places with chargers here and there, or live somewhere with easy access to charging (your own home, or rent somewhere with a charging outlet), otherwise you won't buy one.

One day EVs will get old and cheap, and one day homeless will be living in them like they live in ICE engine cars, and one day even low income neighborhood will have chargers and even homeless will be charging their EV at night while running accessories to keep themselves comfortable.
Just because you dont "see it" doesnt mean others are wrong. Why do you promote EVs at all? That is a question never answered.
Why must people be forced into this whole scam? Tax rebates, banning the sale of vehicles. Laughable to argue anything else.

Why do I have to charge a car with electricity when I find gasoline MUCH more convenient and useful and ICE vehicles MUCH more affordable.

Anyone who denies that an ice vehicle is more convenient is void of reality and unable to accept that reality.
This does not mean that it doesn’t matter to some people or that those people do not find it an inconvenience.
The discussion to change the above reality is plain silly.

The bigger question is why do EV promoters state otherwise and soneone please explain why they think the ICE should just go away?

Kind of reminds me of our brand new 1 week old house that we moved into less than a week ago.

Like a “cult” we got one of those new super high efficiency “tankless” water heaters hanging on the side of my house, ugly as heck, something like a third world country if you ask me, yay I’m helping save Mother Earth according to promoters and also one “feature” of the home. If the option existed I would have chosen a gas hot water tank heater.

So now I have this new tankless state of the art instant water heater. Yay, how much will it save me a month? Couple dollars in gas if that much by not having a 50 gallon tank of hot water available to me at all times?
Much like EVs they are based on a technology back 80 years ago!

So now when I take a shower or want to wash up with hot water I have to be inconvenienced by wasting 10 times the amount of water waiting for the thing to kick in and make it’s way through the house🤨
Ahh yes but let’s call wasting boat loads of water “earth friendly” and I’m sure in the long run I won’t be saving a dime as the cost of all the water I’m wasting will cost me just as much as I save in gas, but who cares why do I have to go backwards in time?

But forget all the above, here I am taking a step back in my standard of living based on an agenda sold to the public by corporations and their promoters and it has nothing to do with earth friendly and everything to do with more profits.
I don't know. Convenience is a perception. I know people that hate the gas station. Its not logical to me, but to them I guess it is. Plugging in at home means you never stop at the gas station. There are also people that literally NEVER leave their city. Never. They would be lost. For them an EV would be fine.

Which I think is your point - to each their own.

I actually like my tankless hot water heater also. Two teenager's in the house, endless hot water - means I get hot water too :) It likely cost me more, because they will run it seemingly for hours. Worth it!

People often confuse/conflate "Tankless" with instant hot water delivery, and marketing does its best to perpetuate the two are the same.

The heat source doesn't make lengths of cold standing water in pipes disappear.

A recirculator eliminates delivery delay not the heat source.

Savings are only a bit - the real upside is not running out of hot water with a house full of people.

@GON may want to explore some of the beautiful parts of the PNW and a lot of these places do not have chargers. Even gasoline stations can be scarce in certain areas.

Kinda funny. Many posters think you are comparing ICE vs EV, probably because you mention ICE in the heading. But your comparison is between a using a driver vs driving yourself. Yeah, around town shopping with a car is generally more convenient than taking the bus...
You could have made the same thread with EV instead of ICE, or with no distinction.
The vehicle driveline is irrelavant, right?

Last edited:
Just because you dont "see it" doesnt mean others are wrong. Why do you promote EVs at all? That is a question never answered.
Why must people be forced into this whole scam? Tax rebates, banning the sale of vehicles. Laughable to argue anything else.

Why do I have to charge a car with electricity when I find gasoline MUCH more convenient and useful and ICE vehicles MUCH more affordable.

I am as wrong as the other guy next to me. Why do I promote EV? I didn't promote EV, I just don't hate it like you do. I think it is good for some people but not all, just like gas engine is not great for everyone.

What is good about EV? It is less polluting locally, most people don't like pollution next to their houses, they want them moved to another neighborhood. Same for refinery and oil wells and power plants, they want them out of their neighborhood. EV can be powered by anything that generates heat (nuclear, natural gas, coal, geo thermal), rain, wind, sun, etc, so it is more diverse. EV can also be used to soak up duck curve grid fluctuation if priced correctly (workplace charging) and controlled correctly (i.e. the grid decide when to charge by giving a discount). So, why not? We just need to build them right and they actually are very good for a lot of people. It won't work for everyone but hey, no cars work for everyone.

Why do you need 300 miles range in Hawaii? If EVs with 50 miles range is sold there they will be perfect. Why do they need gasoline there? Solar would be perfect if they can park at the charger and let the grid figure out how to charge them with excess solar.

WRONG
Taken away by some states such as CA banning the sale of ICE vehicles.
Go checkout what happened to the law that forced GM to build EV1, that got removed. Laws have to be practical and if it is not practical people will vote these laws away. I wouldn't sweat it too much if they won't work, the law will be gone.

Back