TGMO question

I read that thread and it didn't look conflicted, but maybe that's just me. @OVERKILL gave you as good as an answer as you're going to get based on technical information.

But even if it was do you think it's going to be better now?
Gotta put the past “ is TGMO made in Heaven” thread into the mix that sold me on TGMO and Overkill’s correction of my thinking. SK’s Yubase was a complete eye opener for me and learned a lot. That is why I am here.

It's a Toyota oil. Everyone knows you can't use a Toyota oil in a Ford :)
I know it's fine to use in a Ford or Mazda because it's SN rated 0w20....the reason I was 'wondering' about it is because TGMO seems to be built differently than most other 20
weights (high VI index etc...) and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Catherham seemed to think
it was a 'good thing' while other members didn't. I'll definitely be using it but I haven't decided
(I'm wondering) if it's better in summer, winter, longer or shorter OCI etc...

Last edited:
I know it's fine to use in a Ford or Mazda because it's SN rated 0w20....the reason I was 'wondering' about it is because TGMO seems to be built differently than most other 20
weights (high VI index etc...) and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Catherham seemed to think
it was a 'good thing' while other members didn't. I'll definitely be using it but I haven't decided
(I'm wondering) if it's better in summer, winter, longer or shorter OCI etc...
The old saying… Putting lipstick on a pig seems to fit using high amounts of VI improvers to compensate for the base oil VI. My guess is the target is MPG increase that high VII can give. Noack is not really a player in IVD but it does show the base oil quality IMO. Moly turns on the protection when the oil is heated, boron is a friction modifier that works right at engine start up from what I understand. Oil is a balancing act of properties and when the Noack and VI are out there you have to ask why.

Exxon/Mobil that makes TGMO is not the same company as Mobil 1, but appreciate your knowledgeable input. Just a conversation.

Last edited:
Toyota is pretty good at making engine/drivetrain designs that are low friction to increase efficiency/ performance.
After driving a 2005 Rav4 for a number of years and switching to a 2014 1.6t Kia forte and back to the Rav it feels like the tuning and drivetrain are silky smooth and frictionless.

Back