Test drove used Miata. Not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original Miata was designed to be an experience like an old British roadster. The engineers even went as far as using recorded exhaust noises from MG's and Triumphs to try to emulate them. The car has become larger and more powerful over the years and, perhaps, lost some of that initial purism. But, I wouldn't use a 23 year old specimen as representative of the entire model line.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
The original Miata was designed to be an experience like an old British roadster. The engineers even went as far as using recorded exhaust noises from MG's and Triumphs to try to emulate them. The car has become larger and more powerful over the years and, perhaps, lost some of that initial purism. But, I wouldn't use a 23 year old specimen as representative of the entire model line.

The 2016s are supposed to be smaller and lighter - that's surprising in the days of everything getting larger.

Lack of visibility? Did you drive it with the top up?

The gearshift feel is widely regarded as one of the best available. A car with a read-end clunk and gearshift wobble definitely has a worn-out or broken part. The rigid power plant frame that connects the transmission to the rear end has fewer load-bearing rubber bushing than other designs, so it's probably something broken.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I thought a Miata might be the closest thing to a Beetle

...Wait, what?

Why?

I imagine a 67 Beetle without power steering must have the road feel of a go-kart? Or maybe more like my riding mower...

More like your riding mower for sure.

The cars are not alike in any way that matters. If people recommend Miatas to former Bug owners, it's gotta be as a quantum leap, not as a more modern equivalent.

Miata's ain't all that. Had two. Liked the 1.6 better.
The ones with the open diff and no rear stiffiners are pathetic when driven hard; They give up at 8/10's and get sloppy. Never driven a club sport with a posi.

Im a guy who slides his CUV from one side of an exit ramp curve to another: DAILY.

Best handling small car driven in 43 years: INTEGRA GS-R

Best used sports car value late 90's - BMW American M roadster

I'll second the integra GSR. reasonably rare care. back when the honda suspension was at home & stable on 3 wheels. good power, tossable.

I'll second the integra GSR. reasonably rare care. back when the honda suspension was at home & stable on 3 wheels. good power, tossable.

I used to be a driving instructor with my car club. This is a car club that competes with SCCA and NASA not some show-n-shine club. One day I had two students each with Miatas. One was a raggedy old thing. The right front tire felt like it was bouncing off the track, the clutch slipped and on top of that the driver was bad. The other was a Spec Miata race prepared car being driven by someone with a little experience. Night and day difference! I've also driven/ridden in good stock examples and they are quite nice. Don't taste one rotten apple and say all Fuji apples are garbage.

The 240Z option is a fun one, but even 20 years ago good ones were not easy to find in the NW. 20 years on and in the NE? Best of luck my friend!

The Integra GSR is a great car, but finding one which hasn't been beaten half to death will be a chore.

Good performance/handling and very reliable 2-seat convertible ? Honda S2000 ! It isn't as light as Miata but not too heavy either.

The problem is they are not cheap, especially the ones in good condition.

Might need to look into an MR2 or something.

Ex gf of mine had one of these. Car was a BLAST to drive!!

My Bug is a 100% aftermarket 2276 with a 100% aftermarket transaxle, and lots of suspension mods. So, yeah, it's faster than a (stock) 1.6 Miata and handles better than at least the one I drove.

I don't know what I was expecting. The way people who own Miatas go on about them, I guess I thought the experience would be amazing, or something. But, it was just a car. Even if I freshened it up, I doubt I'd have ever developed any sort of affection for it.

Not dumping on all Miatas, just saying I felt let down.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
I used to be a driving instructor with my car club. This is a car club that competes with SCCA and NASA not some show-n-shine club. One day I had two students each with Miatas. One was a raggedy old thing. The right front tire felt like it was bouncing off the track, the clutch slipped and on top of that the driver was bad. The other was a Spec Miata race prepared car being driven by someone with a little experience. Night and day difference! I've also driven/ridden in good stock examples and they are quite nice. Don't taste one rotten apple and say all Fuji apples are garbage.

The 240Z option is a fun one, but even 20 years ago good ones were not easy to find in the NW. 20 years on and in the NE? Best of luck my friend!

The Integra GSR is a great car, but finding one which hasn't been beaten half to death will be a chore.

The guy across the street from me is restoring what looks to be a 240Z

I also saw another one, red and fully restored in my neighborhood.

They're out there up here, but not that many.

Simply put: You drove a poor example of a fine car.

Try another one that isn't about to fall apart and get back to us.

Same lack of forward, side, and rear visibility, same dead steering feel, same clunk from the rear end every time I let out the clutch, same ceaseless wobble-wobble from the gear stick, same annoying slight understeer just before terrifying massive oversteer, same lack of low-end grunt, midrange pull, or top end power from the engine.

I passed.

Having never driven a 60s Beetle, That's exactly how I imagined it would drive.

S2000 is not a bad choice, either. I own one of those, too. The Miata is just as much fun, really, for me... but it's a track-only-prepped car compared to my stock S2000, so not exactly a fair comparison. The S2000 is probably more fun to drive as a daily driver.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back