Tesla Turn signal stalks deleted

I was reading an article and said the new Teslas will not have turn signal stalks any more and the turn signals must be activated via the center screen. This Idea is nuts. Seems like another great idea like the yoke steering wheel....

Center screen no unless it's the hazards but they now have buttons on the steering wheel which I'd love to have along side the stalk but getting rid of the stalk and forcing the use of buttons has already been disastrous. Driving schools are refusing to use them as the instructors say it ruins the flow of driving once they got to test it out in congested areas and i do find myself turning the wheel and then flicking the stalk the other direction while still turning which I could never do with a button.

Article is in my Panorama magazine. Look for the article titled This Is One. It is the second paragraph on the page
96F67407-8C90-40B7-B65F-0B978DBDF6D2.jpeg

6147BCA6-C41D-4665-A609-77B2CBBF847F.jpeg

Last edited:
Your author claims that "it's moved to the touchscreen" which is false.

It's moved to the steering wheel. Took me about a minute to verify that. 1 and 2 in the picture below are the turn signals.

A modicum of fact-checking would have revealed this. Your author should be embarrassed.

Accepting what "journalists" state in "articles" is no longer a good idea, if, in fact, it ever was.

1712150002215.jpg

I think the turn signals on the wheel are a non issue compared to the shifter on screen.
I think the rotary shift knob on the dashboard in Ram trucks is silly, part of the reason I didn't buy one when I was truck shopping several years ago.

But, most people shift once to get the car moving, and once again when they stop. So, shifter as a knob on the dash, or button on a touchscreen - meh - all the same.

I prefer a shift lever (and still own a couple manuals) but clearly, the public doesn't care, or Ram wouldn't have sold any trucks in the past decade.

The problem I have with the article that started this thread is that it was based on false information - "They moved it to the screen". No, they didn't, so, the whole Tesla bash falls apart right there. Moving the signal to the wheel will take some adaptation, but having driven several Peugeots (504 and 505s) when I was younger - this will be easier than learning a Peugeot's stalks - headlights on the left, turn signal on the right.

I've driven the refreshed Model 3. The 1st time I signaled for a lane change, I grabbed air and laughed at myself. After that, the turn signal button clicks were super easy. You don't have to take your hand off the steering wheel.

Some will like it; others not so much. It's different.
By the way, I understand the car uses 90% new parts.

You use the tablet to put the car in drive, reverse, etc.. Swipe up or down on the left side of the screen. There are also buttons above the console area.

Personally, I like the look of the earlier steering wheel better, but that might just be human nature... The new one is pretty fat, which I like.
1712153975646.jpg

I've driven the refreshed Model 3. The 1st time I signaled for a lane change, I grabbed air and laughed at myself. After that, the turn signal button clicks were super easy. You don't have to take your hand off the steering wheel.

You use the tablet to put the car in drive, reverse, etc.. Swipe up or down on the left side of the screen. There are also buttons above the console area.
Many automotive journalists say the refreshed model 3 is what Tesla should've strived for the first time.

Many automotive journalists say the refreshed model 3 is what Tesla should've strived for the first time.
It is definitely a more refined car. One thing though, the ride is smoother but I feel the older suspension is perhaps more visceral in its stiffness. Just my opinion.

• Helpful
Reactions: djb

Personally, I like the look of the earlier steering wheel better, but that might just be human nature... The new one is pretty fat, which I like.
View attachment 212111

I do things with different nonexistent items switching from car to car. Like trying to pull on a brake release pull handle or stepping down on the pedal with the car with the brake release handle. Or trying to change to drive with the right stalk when it's down center. These things happen and we adjust.

I think the rotary shift knob on the dashboard in Ram trucks is silly, part of the reason I didn't buy one when I was truck shopping several years ago.

But, most people shift once to get the car moving, and once again when they stop. So, shifter as a knob on the dash, or button on a touchscreen - meh - all the same.

I prefer a shift lever (and still own a couple manuals) but clearly, the public doesn't care, or Ram wouldn't have sold any trucks in the past decade.

The problem I have with the article that started this thread is that it was based on false information - "They moved it to the screen". No, they didn't, so, the whole Tesla bash falls apart right there. Moving the signal to the wheel will take some adaptation, but having driven several Peugeots (504 and 505s) when I was younger - this will be easier than learning a Peugeot's stalks - headlights on the left, turn signal on the right.

I rented a Chrysler 200 once and it took me a while to figure out that it was a knob, but on the center console. However, it could get worse like the up/down selector on some Jeeps to select the position. That was cited as a possible reason why a Jeep rolled over the actor Anton Yelchin. He apparently left it in neutral and it rolled and pinned him against a wall. Now I would normally use the parking brake too, but not everyone does (remember the scene from Risky Business?).

I do things with different nonexistent items switching from car to car. Like trying to pull on a brake release pull handle or stepping down on the pedal with the car with the brake release handle. Or trying to change to drive with the right stalk when it's down center. These things happen and we adjust.
I think it depends on the individual. Sure, I easily took to the button blinkers, but I am sure this car would not work well for my father, and he was a Yale grad.

These cars are not for everyone. Having said that, much of what many post is opinion, not experience. Just my 2 cents, of course.
Different? Sure. But you learn. It starts with charging, which is the biggie.

Bets on when the first lawsuits hit for the tablet software screwing up a gear change? Whether it's an inadvertent driver input, software lag, or a plain bug, it's going to happen eventually. Guess it depends on whether it runs over a politician or not when it happens.

I do sort of wonder why companies like Tesla decide to change things like turn signals, which have to this point been pretty universal. Is it just to be different? Actual driver demand for a change? Progress for the sake of progress rarely leads anywhere useful.

Hi-Lo beam light switches used to be on the floor, now on the stalk if anyone remembers. That took getting used too but everyone adapted.

Buttons on the wheel are not a great idea IMHO.

Signal levers are universal. You don't have to take your eyes off the road to activate them - even if you jump in someone elses vehicle. Now, I jump in a Tesla, I know there there, but I am fumbling around trying to find them.

In engineering we call this a solution in search of a problem. The old way works fine.

Bets on when the first lawsuits hit for the tablet software screwing up a gear change? Whether it's an inadvertent driver input, software lag, or a plain bug, it's going to happen eventually. Guess it depends on whether it runs over a politician or not when it happens.

I do sort of wonder why companies like Tesla decide to change things like turn signals, which have to this point been pretty universal. Is it just to be different? Actual driver demand for a change? Progress for the sake of progress rarely leads anywhere useful.
The software has checks for that; it will not just switch to reverse (or park) if you accidentally select it. I've done it with the stalk in our car.
Remember the Ford's that slipped from park to reverse on their own?

Back