Tesla Turn signal stalks deleted

Touch capacitive buttons, touchscreen...almost the same thing. They were too cheap to put a stalk in like every other car.

I'm immediately reminded of the Cyber Truck that was lane changing to the left while it was signalling to the right, this is what this idiocy has wrought.
My Model 3 (which has a turn signal stalk) gives me trouble at one particular corner which is a little less than 90 degrees. At that particular corner the turn signal does not cancel. At first I would be signalling right, left, then right again as I came around the corner, trying to cancel the darned thing. Makes you look like a dufus.

I now know it won't cancel at that corner so I do it manually before I enter the corner. Maybe I should roll down the window and do a hand signal instead.

My Model 3 (which has a turn signal stalk) gives me trouble at one particular corner which is a little less than 90 degrees. At that particular corner the turn signal does not cancel. At first I would be signalling right, left, then right again as I came around the corner, trying to cancel the darned thing. Makes you look like a dufus.

I now know it won't cancel at that corner so I do it manually before I enter the corner. Maybe I should roll down the window and do a hand signal instead.
Or just get a Highland?

Given the inherently limited audience of the Ferrari, that's not going to be much of a problem for the unwashed masses. The level of affluence necessary to experience this resigns it to statistical insignificance in terms of its impact on the driving experience at large.

The Model 3 on the other hand costs considerably less than my Jeep. Ergo, it's very much attainable for the folks that would drive into the car in front of them looking down at the wheel trying to find the indicator controls. I'm immediately reminded of the Cyber Truck that was lane changing to the left while it was signalling to the right, this is what this idiocy has wrought.
Understatement!

I've only driven the non-Highland version, which has a traditional stalk.

I prefer a blend of physical controls and screens. My wife's RAM is better than my Jeep in this respect as it even has physical buttons for the seat and wheel heat (as well as those being available in the touch screen). Add a HUD and you are set.
I think this is why I like my VW so much. It has all the latest stuff, but the things that I really care about having physical controls like climate control and heated seats have real buttons. The new one has moved in the Tesla direction.

I find myself hunting a bit more in the Tesla. If it was my main daily that would likely improve, but the VW is natural in its approach. My previous F150, Jag XJ, and Pontiac GTO were similar. I don't think these other cars got it wrong and I'm not convinced that killing physical controls is an improvement. I love the Tesla, but I feel I'm still in the novelty phase with it. It's nice to use, but the GTI being something as pedestrian as any other VW manages to feel special, yet easy to live with. I would not be pleased to deal with the Highland every day, but I'm sure I would get used to it. Some of the VW guys get mad when I say I could get used to the changes with the new VWs, but that doesn't mean that their better. It's like I punched their mother in the throat with that supposed insult. Sure we can get used to what we deal with daily, but that's not a ringing endorsement for the product.

Touch capacitive buttons, touchscreen...almost the same thing. They were too cheap to put a stalk in like every other car.
I don't think they were being cheap. I genuinely think they thought it would be an improvement. It would be serious bragging rights if the system they started using ended up being the mainstream design in the automotive industry. I hope it's not the one that goes there.

And Ferrari.

Or Lamborghini.

Lamborghini-Huracan-30.jpg

Or an Audi RS8.

The R8 still has the standard stalks. I can see there the same ones on my VW. The arrow buttons on the left side of the wheel are for the screen function in the gauge cluster.

I got confused. I though that was a turn signal and couldn't find where any stalks were behind the paddle shifters.

As someone who regularly drives a Tesla with steering wheel button controls, it’s really not that big a deal. I usually rest my hands/thumbs on the spokes and have a feel for where a particular spot is even when turning the wheel. It kind of becomes second nature.

Bets on when the first lawsuits hit for the tablet software screwing up a gear change? Whether it's an inadvertent driver input, software lag, or a plain bug, it's going to happen eventually. Guess it depends on whether it runs over a politician or not when it happens.

I do sort of wonder why companies like Tesla decide to change things like turn signals, which have to this point been pretty universal. Is it just to be different? Actual driver demand for a change? Progress for the sake of progress rarely leads anywhere useful.
Blame Elon. Most really stupid ideas at Tesla were because of him. Removing the radar on autopilot, the yoke, the Cybertruck, and this. He has to make it look like he's doing something.

Back