Free VPN apps turn Android phones into proxies

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
That could be used by criminals for malicious purposes a recent study by Satori Threat Intelligence have discovered. Article by Malwarebytes here:

Researchers at HUMAN’s Satori Threat Intelligence have discovered a disturbing number of VPN apps that turn users’ devices into proxies for cybercriminals without their knowledge, as part of a camapign called PROXYLIB.

Cybercriminals and state actors like to send their traffic through other people’s devices, known as proxies. This allows them to use somebody else’s resources to get their work done, it masks the origin of their attacks so they are less likely to get blocked, and it makes it easy for them to keep operating if one of their proxies is blocked.

An entire underground market of proxy networks exists to service this desire, offering cybercriminals flexible, scalable platfroms from which to launch activities like advertising fraud, password spraying, and credential stuffing attacks.

The researchers at HUMAN found 28 apps on Google Play that turned unsuspecting Android devices into proxies for criminals. 17 of the apps were free VPNs. All of them have now been removed from Google Play.

The operation was dubbed PROXYLIB after a code library shared by all the apps that was responsible for enrolling devices into the ciminal network.

HUMAN also found hundreds of apps in third-party repositories that appeared to use the LumiApps toolkit, a Software Development Kit (SDK) which can be used to load PROXYLIB. They also tied PROXYLIB to another platform that specializes in selling access to proxy nodes, called Asocks.

Google Play Protect will now block PROXYLIB, so if you have a reasonably modern device and haven't disabled Play Protect, you will be OK even if new variants of these apps emerge on the store.

If you are interested in the list of malicious VPN clients, it can be found here:

Nothing is free. If a "service" or "client" or "provider" offers a free service, its not free. Your data, your access, your "customer" details are used for detailed tracking and advertising purposes.

a.k.a, any service Google related. They are a advertising entity, first and foremost. People think they are altruistic and "do no evil" still...No. Hell No.

There's no such thing as a free vpn lmao
well.... I used the free google fi one, although I switched to using teleport from unifi now.

What I hate about the play store is it gives you ads for apps before your search results...
and many of the "ad" apps are scambaiter apps that look like what you were searching for.
Its beyond me why they let this occur besides $$$.

Here is an example I search for amazon music
1712006024647.jpg

and the first result is some podcast.. now that is clearly 100% not what I searched for but you can tell it isnt..

some searches return scammy apps are very similarly named to what you were looking for

ie in this case it would mean a result of "amazone music" etc.

Personally, Proton VPN is the only VPN provider I trust/use these days.

I am/have been a longtime paid Proton Mail user and their mission/vision/impact is the only one I trust.

I used to be a Google/Android fanboy for about 10 years and switched to Apple. Love them or hate them, they ain't perfect but their privacy forward vibe instilled far more trust than anything the Alphabet company ever produced/provided over the years.

The depth and scale of scams is getting parabolic. Fake stock markets, organized gangs kidnapping job seekers and taking them to non friendly foreign countries, I'm still in shock.

I don't understand what people think they're gaining by using a VPN, so much misinformation and scare tactics out there from companies trying to sell security products.

I don't understand what people think they're gaining by using a VPN, so much misinformation and scare tactics out there from companies trying to sell security products.
Some people think it makes them super anons, lol.

This is more applicable to usage as a proxy than proper VPN; but I have some small virtual machines in a Google data center near Omaha, and I am in Canada. I use one of those small VM's and Wireguard to effectively mask my location in Canada and give the impression that I am in fact in Council Bluffs, Iowa. This allows me to access U.S.-only data; e.g. today I was streaming/listening to a local Detroit sports talk radio station that I cannot stream from Canada. It was interesting listening to the myriad sports gambling commercials indicating that I had to be present in Iowa in order to use their service.

I use it for public wifi as a bonus with teleport it blocks ads at the network level (routes through my home network)so if you use the news apps on the phone it blocks 3/4 of the popups and you can actually read the articles.

Although the free VPNs were the first example, the malware could be incorporated into almost any app. This included what the authors call only "well known apps" which were modified without the original publisher's involvement then distributed through unofficial channels.

Nothing is free. If a "service" or "client" or "provider" offers a free service, its not free. Your data, your access, your "customer" details are used for detailed tracking and advertising purposes.

a.k.a, any service Google related. They are a advertising entity, first and foremost. People think they are altruistic and "do no evil" still...No. Hell No.
It's not just the "free" services that are using/selling your data.

I use unbound on my server. You can use their "free" DNS Resolver on your computer, phone or router at:

Better privacy - IP assigned by ISP not visible to destination services used by devices.
Access services only available in other countries (Brazil OTA TV, in our case)
If not on home network - obsfucation of traffic on unsecured WiFi networks.
[edit] if outside the country - access to geoblocked US services, for example Teams at work.

[edit 2, and to the point of the thread] we have a paid VPN subscription - I would be highly suspect of a free service.

It's not just the "free" services that are using/selling your data.

I use unbound on my server. You can use their "free" DNS Resolver on your computer, phone or router at:

Unbound is Linux software, who owns the listed DNS servers?

Also, I am biased towards high performing DNS servers, it will increase client performance on the network. I like to use GRC's DNS Benchmark to compare publicly reachable DNS servers - https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I would be unlikely to use something that was slow just to enable DNS over TLS or DNS over HTTPS, just FWIW. In a perfect would, yes, I would definitely prefer to use secure DNS of some sort. But the world is not always perfect.

Is another quick tool to show public DNS resolver speeds.

I personally use Cloudflare DOH via my PiHole and Cloudflare Tunnel.
I definitely like the data available there. But the point of using the GRC tool is to gauge performance from your network, not some place that is chosen by the site admin(s).

I definitely like the data available there. But the point of using the GRC tool is to gauge performance from your network, not some place that is chosen by the site admin(s).

Yep, I get ya, I have used it in the past.

Works mostly ok/good/accurate for client side lookups outbound.

Back