Tesla Cybertruck Cuts Power In Tug-Of-War Battle Against Diesel Chevy Silverado

Apparently that video that Musk posted years ago with the Cybertruck out-pulling was smoke and mirrors. Apparently when a stock diesel Chevy pulls the Cybertruck gives up and goes into a limp or pulls power. Where is this apocalypse truck that will out do all trucks when it gets delivered to the public? Wasn't the Cybertruck supposed to have so much torque that it could out-pull a every diesel truck on the market?

Well, its towing range makes it more or less a non starter when it comes to the trade industry so I can see how it couldnt stack up against the usual redneck litmus test.

Full torque at 0 rpm is something indeed. It’s useful.

But motors don’t like to stay at 0rpm. Not that engines do either, but maybe the poor atf and torque converter eats it.

Unfortunately the electrons have to still go in a very short path in these conditions.

We’d have to see how these things are normalized to determine if the test was apples to apples. Supposedly there are controls in the cybertruck to prevent such stupidity.

At the end of the day, I suspect a smaller EV, huge torque or not, will always lose to a (heavier? Bigger?) diesel intended for towing.

Last edited:

But motors don’t like to stay at 0rpm. Not that engines do either, but maybe the poor atf and torque converter eats it.

Unfortunately the electrons have to still go in a very short path in these conditions.

We’d have to see how these things are normalized to determine if the test was apples to apples. Supposedly there are controls in the cybertruck to prevent such stupidity.

At the end of the day, I suspect a smaller EV, huge torque or not, will always lose to a (heavier? Bigger?) diesel intended for towing.
The Cybertruck weighs as much as a heavy loaded Ford F-250 from my understanding. The Chevy Silverado Diesel is a little lighter so all.the better in this test.

Well, its towing range makes it more or less a non starter when it comes to the trade industry so I can see how it couldnt stack up against the usual redneck litmus test.
The Towing range of the Cybergarbage truck loaded completely up at 11,000k pounds is barely 90 miles. This test was done less than a month ago. The guys running the test Towed a trailer with a complete Cybertruck on the back, tied down. At one point they had to drive less than the highway speed limit ss the gauge was showing less than 1% range left over.

The Cybertruck weighs as much as a heavy loaded Ford F-250 from my understanding. The Chevy Silverado Diesel is a little lighter so all.the better in this test.
Maybe. But if anything it’s close. My 96 Ram diesel is 6500-ish lbs. The newer bigger and more capable trucks are likely heavier. Even if it’s splitting hairs, so what?

It’s not like it’s earth shattering that EVs are bad for towing, nor is it uncommon knowledge that electric motors can make full torque at low/no speeds.

If it’s controls, then that’s your answer. If it’s traction, you can’t beat physics. Not sure what point you’re trying to make. Get motor torque, calculate wheel torque, look at tire sizes, figure out weight ratios, and do your homework on the physics if it matters enough to create a post.

Yup - LT’s are not locomotives …

Even the tent was a fraud.

431985313_963561445099824_7639349509488895641_n.jpg

Even the tent was a fraud.

View attachment 207682
Of course it was. Trucks were never going to be in the wheelhouse of Tesla and most of their accessories suck. Honestly they should just kill the S and the X because there's too much gimmicky stuff in them. The reason why the 3 and Y have done well is because they're relatively simple, easy to use, and most of the motorized gimmicks have been thrown out. If they'd swap out the stupid motorized handles on the S and the X along with getting rid of the Falcon doors, they'd probably be nice to live with. I'd want an S if it wasn't for the stupid door handle failures, but there's not a solution for a manual one and there's nothing wrong with the handles on the 3 and the Y, but they're not interchangeable with the S and the X.

All this Cybertruck junk is exactly how I saw it going when I said in the rare chance that it actually comes out. Is it really technically out? Has anyone seen one in person? I get that they're delivering vehicles, but it obviously hasn't been much.

All this Cybertruck junk is exactly how I saw it going when I said in the rare chance that it actually comes out. Is it really technically out? Has anyone seen one in person? I get that they're delivering vehicles, but it obviously hasn't been much.

I haven't seen one on the road, but did see a few at a Tesla dealer in Florida. It's really not a bad looking vehicle, just completely impractical.

zczdj8d.jpg

I haven't seen one on the road, but did see a few at a Tesla dealer in Florida. It's really not a bad looking vehicle, just completely impractical.

zczdj8d.jpg
I kept asking myself how this thing passes pedestrian impact standards and it was that day that I learned it's not a thing in the US which is why we have them and no one else does.

I get why people think they're cool, I've just never seen a single angle of this thing that did anything but disgust me. Then again it's supposed to be a truck and I've never found anything to like about trucks from an aesthetic point of view. I bought a truck once and I found to be useable on occasion in an appliance sort of way. I guess if it was practical I'd give it a pass, but as you just stated too it's not really practical in its current form either.

The Towing range of the Cybergarbage truck loaded completely up at 11,000k pounds is barely 90 miles. This test was done less than a month ago. The guys running the test Towed a trailer with a complete Cybertruck on the back, tied down. At one point they had to drive less than the highway speed limit ss the gauge was showing less than 1% range left over.
No worries, have someone with a generator in tow with an extension cord plugged into the Cyber Truck to keep it juiced up while it's trying to tow. ;)

The only one I've seen was on the road driving in the other direction from me. So yeah they've been delivered to actual customers.

The only one I've seen was on the road driving in the other direction from me. So yeah they've been delivered to actual customers.
Oh I get that they're delivering. I just don't think there's many around yet, that's what I meant. I didn't think they were hitting huge numbers yet.

Back