Tesla clandestinely downgrades performance brakes, adds cover to hide it

I would like to see the numbers. Without data, it's just opinion.
So what do you think, smaller friction surfaces from Chinese suppliers yield the same results? How yes, no.
It is not just one braking result. These brakes will wear out faster and will wear out rotors faster. Among other things.

Absolutely agree.
Let's remember that when someone mentions how Tesla is a "luxury" or "performance" vehicle.

We all have our feelings on Tesla segmentation.
The automotive industry has theirs.

The industry is rife with examples of dichotomy.
Ford calls their electric SUV a "Mustang".
"Audis" with drum brakes.

We all have our feelings on Tesla segmentation.
The automotive industry has theirs.

The industry is rife with examples of dichotomy.
Ford calls their electric SUV a "Mustang".
"Audis" with drum brakes.
Drum brakes are supplied by Jurid. I would take that ANY time over whatever that thing is on Y.
And you are absolutely right, drum brakes on Q4, same as Audi S3, are VW in different clothing.
However, thing is, Audi supplies really good brakes on Q8 etc. Then you have, well, Plaid.

So what do you think, smaller friction surfaces from Chinese suppliers yield the same results? How yes, no.
It is not just one braking result. These brakes will wear out faster and will wear out rotors faster. Among other things.
Well, one would suppose the cheaper brake components will perform poorer.
My curiosity is about the results. The numbers may be ****ing; they may not be.
By the way, I believe in quality tires when it comes to braking to make a well balanced package.

Without data, it's just opinion.

By the way, I believe in quality tires when it comes to braking to make a well balanced package.

What data do you want?
I have no doubt that this company has extensive experience in making bicycle brakes, but you cannot make apple pie out of malarky.

Oh, I forgot, the secret plan. Sorry.

What data do you want?
I have no doubt that this company has extensive experience in making bicycle brakes, but you cannot make apple pie out of malarky.

Oh, I forgot, the secret plan. Sorry.
Stopping distance comparison at various speeds and conditions.
No need to apologize. Your attitude preceeds you.

Exactly. As much as I will never pay for a performance model I would say just looking at the brake means nothing in an electric car.

What if they improve the regenerative braking by the same amount so the physical brake has to work LESS for the same performance? What if the drive train controller never let the brake work 100% of the amount of its design limit and they realized they already overbuild the brake, so they can just remove some unused safety margin anyways? Without a dyno testing between 2 Model Y side by side you can't tell.

Remember this is an electric car, with braking by wire. It is up to the computer to tell you how much braking you can do not the brake pad and rotor size. Even if you have Brembo they may limit the braking amount to 50% of the limit, and if they reduce the braking power by 10% they are still limited by the computer to the same amount of braking power.

I thought it was just speculated that they were Brembos, not that they actually were. I've never had factory Brembos where they didn't also have the Brembo logo on it, but I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on all things Tesla. I'm still a gearhead first and there's less Tesla models I would buy than wouldn't. I think that's why the brake thing doesn't both me. I just see it as a comfortable yet fast commuter. An appliance that hauls ass.
Brembo also provides calipers, rotors and pads oem for Porsche. They are built to Porsche's specifications, but the porsche logo is on the caliper.

Teslas do not have blended braking. On a track they would pretty much be 100% friction brakes with no regeneration once the temp of the battery goes up.

Last edited:
The ID3 and ID4 platform vehicles have drum brakes for a few reasons. One is less drag, the other is it only uses the friction brakes when stopping bellow about 10 mph. The exact speed can vary depending on how the brakes were applied to start with.

Due to the lack of use the steel discs on the rear would corrode even more than they already do in vehicles like the Q3.

They are simply the better option for the requirements they face. Also very low brake noise is one of the positives.

Yup, if you have a gentle driver that's almost always using the regenerative brakes you run the risk of the rotors getting "lot rot" rust even if daily driven. Would take some programming to ensure the brakes are always getting used. And a smaller brake has more of a chance of keeping itself clean.

That is an interesting thought, corrosion issues on seldom used rotors. But would drum fare that much better? they are more protected but not sealed either.

I would think some springs would fix the issue here on disc brakes. My Camry’s had them, at least up front.

Will say, am happy that the stupid drum brake does not exist on our hybrid, Toyota could not make a decent parking brake out of them. Their only saving grace was the avoidance of having to turn back in pistons, and I could count on having to replace rear calipers at brake time on my VW.

I really think the smart buy with Tesla is a base Model 3. Range is close to the same, it's lighter and the handling feels sharper and the brakes are adequate for its performance. Anything more than that weighs over 4k lbs and personally all you are doing is improving the 0-60. I do like the standard Model S for it's insanely high range number though and I struggle to see why the Plaid is needed when the standard already rips off low 3 second 0-60s.
I agree entirely. The only thing I'd add is I wish Tesla could figure out how to make the Model S at least as reliable as a Model 3. According to Consumer Reports, the Model 3 has average reliability but the Model S is one step lower. Yes, it's an earlier design but making it for longer should make for better reliability not worse. And how about having a "normal steering wheel" option for the Model S?

I agree entirely. The only thing I'd add is I wish Tesla could figure out how to make the Model S at least as reliable as a Model 3. According to Consumer Reports, the Model 3 has average reliability but the Model S is one step lower. Yes, it's an earlier design but making it for longer should make for better reliability not worse. And how about having a "normal steering wheel" option for the Model S?
The yoke is only available on the Plaid I believe. And a round steering wheel is available.

It’s too much complication because they were trying to do something special. Those dumb motorized door handles for 1. They kept the Model 3 relatively simple.

The only people I see frenzied over 0-60 Tesla numbers are youtube and magazine "reviewers". I have yet to see a Tesla driver engage in this behavior on public roads.
This matters as much as VW going with Giti tires on some cars (some Atlas and Passats). Which is to say, to the average driver it matters very little since these setups work quite well in daily and occasionally spirited drives.

Last edited:
It’s too much complication because they were trying to do something special. Those dumb motorized door handles for 1. They kept the Model 3 relatively simple.
Yeah the motorized door handles are $900 each to replace plus $200 in labor. So $1100 per door when they fail.

The only people I see frenzied over 0-60 Tesla numbers are youtube and magazine "reviewers". I have yet to see a Tesla driver engage in this behavior on public roads.
The Tesla's I know of regularly do some epic 0-60 runs... Sometimes even side by side...

I'd put it this way, those of us who enjoy a performance car, will also enjoy the Tesla's performance.

Back