Tesla clandestinely downgrades performance brakes, adds cover to hide it

The problem is that the fail-safe mode for those systems are conventional brakes and so their role can't be compromised despite that they are hardly ever used in normal conditions.
C12xx codes are a fact of life in older Prii and other Toyota/Ford hybrids when there’s a failure in the brake actuator and the ABS ECU shunts the system to use a direct hydraulic connection to the front wheels via the master cylinder, but you would definitely feel it. I think the Toyota hybrids will exercise the service brakes to hold a car in place, when the hybrid battery is full and in reverse.

I occasionally "give it the beans" (as one auto reviewer would say) just to feel that acceleration. And I have the base Model 3, which has plenty of "beans".

I even have to be careful when passing - I had a tendency to accelerate as I was changing lanes to pass, and a Tesla accelerates harder than you expect.
It's that lack of noise. Without an auditory response, there's one less thing to associate that sensation of speed. It's an interesting feeling which I'd probably get used to more if it was my daily. It's a more relaxing experience compared to a turbo hatch, but they're both fun for different reasons.

I've found that even among technically-aware EV owners that fact is not widely known. Due to that missing feature, one-pedal is the only practical operating mode. I believe the Mini-E is the only other BEV missing that, while even GM's EV1 had it.

The problem is that the fail-safe mode for those systems are conventional brakes and so their role can't be compromised despite that they are hardly ever used in normal conditions.
I think the reason for drums is also about disk rusting being a common problem in Germany, especially on the rear. The Ioniq 5 and EV6 have a little-known feature where foot-brake blended regen is temporarily disabled for at least 10 braking cycles when the selected regen mode is Level 0, which is essentially just coasting. It's in the owner's manual but few seem to notice it.

Heat and regen aren't a good combination, as mentioned here the regen does reduce as the battery gets hot. This is probably tech that also came from locomotives. We use what is known as the dynamic brake, which is essentially regen, but we don't recover that power to batteries. It has what is known as the dynamic braking grid, which is a giant resistor in the shape of a heatsink. It's a variable resistor controlled by a lever that allows you to set the amount of retarding force. Think of it like using the throttle to reduce the level of regenerative braking on an electric car. It's possible in extreme examples to overheat it and get reduced capacity on a locomotive and then you are forced to use air brakes to supplement.

Again, everyone wants to tie every option to the most extreme version of what you can do with a car. "Oh on the track...." Who does this? It's a Tesla. It's a fast commuter. Think of any of these faster, heavy cars. They'll smoke even the expensive brakes over time, it may take longer. Heavy and aggressive braking a difficult combination. It's not a Ferrari, it's a family sedan with a lot of go. It's more electric muscle sedan than it is German style canyon carver. I know I'd still have fun with one as my daily, but there's certain things it won't do as well weighing as much as 1K lbs more than my turbo hatch. On my way to work there's one really curvy road where I like to really toss the GTI around. Can I still do that in the Tesla? Sure, but even the RWD weighs 700 lbs more and I don't get the fun pops and bangs while doing it.

Back