Brembo Calipers

I can't find a caliper on the Brembo website for your 2011 Camry, only pads and rotors. Where are you seeing that one is available?
I'm in the middle of a project right now, but I'll check and get back to you after the weekend. My time is precious for the next 36 hours or so.

My time is precious for the next 36 hours or so.

Honestly, if your time is precious don't waste your time with this.

One important thing that no-one thinks of until the very last second is larger multi-piston calipers require more wheel clearance. Odds are high your stock wheels will not clear the wider caliper.

Valid point, but does it really make sense to discuss this seriously?

For the camry, absolutely none. You can't brake if your tires can't grab and that is a problem that should be solved first. You only move up in brake size when you consistently reach the limits of your current one.

One important thing that no-one thinks of until the very last second is larger multi-piston calipers require more wheel clearance. Odds are high your stock wheels will not clear the wider caliper.

A larger master cylinder may also be merited, if one was serious about the system performance as a whole, and not just a slap-on.

Not if the corresponding BBK is tailored to the actual car including its rear brakes
and MC. If so the total piston area (one side of each caliper) remains the same
regardless of its number of pistons.
That's the main issue with fitting Porsche Cayenne/Audi Q7, VW Touareg calipers
to a GTI, S3, R btw. - a blatant mismatch and the most obvious issue is the pedal
will therefore feel soft.
Believe me, I could write a book about it or two, but it isn't worth it in this case, just
because Shel's money is better spent on a nice dinner with his wife (or ten of them).

Brembo is a brand. Without knowing which model of caliper, how can anyone answer the question?

If I asked about getting more performance by changing to an HP computer, would you be able to answer?

They are always fixed multi piston calipers, while his original will be sliding calipers. So what he's asking is the performance differences between caliper types.

Not if the corresponding BBK is tailored to the actual car including its rear brakes
and MC. If so the total piston area (one side of each caliper) remains the same
regardless of its number of pistons.
That's the main issue with fitting Porsche Cayenne/Audi Q7, VW Touareg calipers
to a GTI, S3, R btw. - a blatant mismatch and the most obvious issue is the pedal
will therefore feel soft.
Believe me, I could write a book about it or two, but it isn't worth it in this case, just
because Shel's money is better spent on a nice dinner with his wife (or ten of them).

If the brembo brakes are a factory option and you can spec them for little outlay (as it was in my case) I'd definitely go for brembos, but you will get bigger discs and matching rear brakes with them aswell. So not a bad upgrade for 250€ when new.

But several 1000€ to fit an aftermarket kit? Well, if you need the bragging rights maybe.

I'm sure they're not needed for the Camry and the type of driving I do, so I don't need to be told that, or that I'd be wasting my money or any such thing along those lines. I'm just curious to know what benefits and advantages can be derived from using these calipers. Thanks.

Going to a multi-pistoned fixed caliper allows for an increase of piston area within a given surface area. The larger the piston area the stronger the brakes, and usually the larger a friction area.

4 is the magic number for piston calipers. Any more than that and the piston size differences get smaller and the mathematics needed to size the pistons for equal pressure gets complex (the rear-most pistons on a caliper is smaller.)

Although I would like to reiterate, you only upsize your brakes when you've consistently reached the limits of yours since the rotational and unsprung mass (and cost!) tend to increase.

Going to a multi-pistoned fixed caliper allows for an increase of piston area within a given surface area. The larger the piston area the stronger the brakes, and usually the larger a friction area.

Not sure if I understand you. To adequately match a (front) BBK to a given car
(and its MC and rear brakes) you certainly don't want any increase in piston area
as it'd hugely upset brake distribution. I hope you understand hydraulics.

If the brembo brakes are a factory option and you can spec them for little outlay (as it was in my case) I'd definitely go for brembos, but you will get bigger discs and matching rear brakes with them aswell. So not a bad upgrade for 250€ when new.

No question 250 € is a steal. Not surprising BMW charges way more than that.

On a side note, hard to stop this topic. 😇

Not sure if I understand you. To adequately match a (front) BBK to a given car
(and its MC and rear brakes) you certainly don't want any increase in piston area
as it'd hugely upset brake distribution. I hope you understand hydraulics..

I mean in piston count per caliper. The more pistons in a caliper, the harder it is to find the right sized piston area to maintain consistent pressure across the pad.

Just paint them red and put a Brembo sticker on them. It'll will automatically stop better!

Back