Tesla 3 out-selling MB, Audi, BMW, Lexus mid size

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a point of clarification, the Model 3 deposits are refundable; I believe more than 20% have been refunded, mainly due to production delays.
People been buying Bolts like hotcakes...
I expect to see numbers grow, as factory output expands to 5,000 per week.
Additionally, home charging stations are under $500 now (plus instillation) at Costco.

I kinda like the new Nissan Leaf, which goes 180+ miles on a charge.
About $2500 down after government rebate, and $205 per month lease.
My company subsidizes the charging so our cost is 40 cents per hour.

Originally Posted By: CT8
People buy those cars to show off. Not because they are better.

Why can’t they just like the vehicle? A ton of choices out there and it is personal taste. Vehicles and women are alike In that some age well, look amazing, ride well, handle well, are sexier, fall apart with age, expensive to maintain, feel better, more reliable and more practical.

I’d be curious if Tesla who missed the real market of CUVs is doing. The luxury makers are down in sedans but have way more CUV offerings were Tesla is way behind.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
As a point of clarification, the Model 3 deposits are refundable; I believe more than 20% have been refunded, mainly due to production delays.

Really, the two can't be compared. I've driven both extensively. The Bolt, while a good car, feels and drives like the economy car it is. The Model 3 is an order of magnitude more pleasant.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Tesla only reports global, not US numbers.
The Model 3 is only sold in the US and Canada

And there have been very few to make it north yet.

True, the very first Tesla M3 delivery was just made last month (May 2018) to Canada.

Where I live, the ICEngine is going to survive for a while yet; electric vehicles have major problems dealing with our winter temperatures. Heaters eat up most of the summertime range, and they're weak heaters at that. Note that the recent Tesla Model3 cross-country range record had a requirement that the heater not be used. Pilot and passenger drove in ski suits in parts of America.

Plus there is almost no charging stations (like, two in my city, nothing on the highways in or out). Not selling well. What is selling, are commuter cars, exclusively.

And a Tesla3 is not the ideal commuter car, if only because of the cost. The only configuration you can order in Canada today carries an MSRP of $63,100, so luxury priced yet the true luxury editions are not available to buyers, the ones you would assume would be most interested in a car that has a base price that will run you over $70K on delivery with taxes but not insurance.

Those charts might be more about how sedans aren't as popular anymore. Ford is really cutting back and Mercedes has lots of options aside from the C class, there's also CLA, GLA and GLC.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: CT8
People buy those cars to show off. Not because they are better.

Are you sure they're not better than the all electric 3 series? What about the all electric C-class?

Haters gonna hate
happy2.gif

BMW uses Toyota Hybrid and electric technology and all future projects are done together.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Tesla only reports global, not US numbers.
The Model 3 is only sold in the US and Canada

And there have been very few to make it north yet.

True, the very first Tesla M3 delivery was just made last month (May 2018) to Canada.

Where I live, the ICEngine is going to survive for a while yet; electric vehicles have major problems dealing with our winter temperatures. Heaters eat up most of the summertime range, and they're weak heaters at that. Note that the recent Tesla Model3 cross-country range record had a requirement that the heater not be used. Pilot and passenger drove in ski suits in parts of America.

Plus there is almost no charging stations (like, two in my city, nothing on the highways in or out). Not selling well. What is selling, are commuter cars, exclusively.

And a Tesla3 is not the ideal commuter car, if only because of the cost. The only configuration you can order in Canada today carries an MSRP of $63,100, so luxury priced yet the true luxury editions are not available to buyers, the ones you would assume would be most interested in a car that has a base price that will run you over $70K on delivery with taxes but not insurance.

Guess we have a much higher adoption rate here, but I live in the city here in Ottawa. In my 15 minute bike commute home, I usually see at least a dozen electrics. Model S, a couple Model X, Bolts, Leafs etc etc etc. I imagine there will be a large number of M3 in my hood soon. We also have electric chargers everywhere now.

https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html

Canada counts as "overseas" in this game of 200k US tax credits. Canada has a much higher adoption rate. Another point where they play with the tax credit is the date(s) of delivery: quarterly and semiannual cut-offs - smart move in the game. All in all, electric adoption is probably a good thing, not counting environmental damage from production of batteries and vehicles. Natural gas is another great and so far untapped market.

Quote:

do you have the numbers to back up that statement? Quick google showed me May 2nd Bloomberg article which was stating exactly opposite of what you are claiming.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
One could argue that the number of Tesla deliveries in May was artificially high because of manufacturing problems that prevented these deliveries from taking place in April and earlier months.

This

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
One could argue that the number of Tesla deliveries in May was artificially high because of manufacturing problems that prevented these deliveries from taking place in April and earlier months.

This

Are you then implying that the June, July and August numbers will be on a downward trajectory?

I am thinking that Tesla 3 numbers will be climbing up month over month for quite some time until they level off.

Do you think otherwise?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am thinking that Tesla 3 numbers will be climbing up month over month for quite some time until they level off.

Probably so... unless they run into another manufacturing problem.

When I was a kid, I played with battery powered cars and couldn't wait to be old enough to drive a real gas powered car.....

But it looks like I get to finance Elon Musk's fortune whether I want to or not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...m=.4f15c9d52572

https://www.investors.com/politics/edito...subsidizing-it/

I find it frustrating that the .gov pushes for and outright subsidizes fuel efficient and even battery powered cars in the name of saving mommy earth. But now that that has happened, they either keep increasing the gas tax, or, like in WA state here, they are wanting to institute a per mile tax, at any rate they want too, at any time of the day, to make up for the revenue shortages from the decrease in the collected gas tax.

And so many people buy into the con game....

Well, this is based upon deliveries and not sales and Tesla does have a huge backlog of orders to deliver, so this chart, which obviously came from Tesla based upon the font used, may not mean all that much since the major manufacturers have no trouble producing cars, while Tesla has.
Still, this pug-faced little machine is finally being rolled out the door in decent volume.
I wonder how much money Tesla is losing on each delivery?
Inquiring shareholders want to know.

In a couple years when the base model becomes available, I'll have a serious look at it. From what Cujet and many auto journalists have said, its a handling bargain for that kind of money, right wheel drive too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back