Tell me your tricks and fixes for squeaky windshield wipers

Our Prius has chronically squeaking windshield wipers. I've changed the blades 3 times, cleaned with dish soap and various glass cleaners, tried Rain-X, etc. It always starts squeaking soon after anything I've tried. It seems like the smaller of the two wipers is the squeakiest.

Our Prius has chronically squeaking windshield wipers. I've changed the blades 3 times, cleaned with dish soap and various glass cleaners, tried Rain-X, etc. It always starts squeaking soon after anything I've tried. It seems like the smaller of the two wipers is the squeakiest.
Do they chatter or skip across the windshield as well? If so a guy on YouTube has a video showing how to carefully bend the wiper arm back into alignment. If not go to napa or O'Reilly's and pick up a bottle of windshield glass scrub. The one at napa is in a black bottle and the O'Reilly's one is glass scrub which is good as well. I've found that depending on the climate and build-up on the roads can cause build up on the windshield that glass cleaner won't remove.

Do they chatter or skip across the windshield as well? If so a guy on YouTube has a video showing how to carefully bend the wiper arm back into alignment. If not go to napa or O'Reilly's and pick up a bottle of windshield glass scrub. The one at napa is in a black bottle and the O'Reilly's one is glass scrub which is good as well. I've found that depending on the climate and build-up on the roads can cause build up on the windshield that glass cleaner won't remove.
My Geo Prizm actually benefited from "wiper huggies ( not diapers). I think the spring wasn't as firm as it had been causing the wiper arms to exert less pressure on the blades. I install the wiper huggies I got from Napa and they slip over the pivot and wiper arm keeping them in place.

Clean the windshield with dollar store ammonia. It smells bad and will strip off car wax so use carefully. Then wax the windshield with two coats of Nu Finish car wax, allow plenty of dry time between coats. Scotty Kilmer suggested Nu Finish after cleaning windshield with rubbing alcohol. I think ammonia cuts crud better.

a wiper blade that fits the curvature of the windshield - not all do
a clean windshield
clean wiper blades
proper wiper arm tension
washer fluid that can help remove grime and that dries streak-free

Maybe it's the Brand of wiper your using. I've had good luck cleaning the windshield and wiper then applying 303 Aerospace

Maybe it's the Brand of wiper your using. I've had good luck cleaning the windshield and wiper then applying 303 Aerospace
I've tried various wiper types. Anco, Trico, Bosch. All standard style frames and blades. I was thinking about trying the solid squeegee type ones next, though I'll give some of the ideas in the thread a try first.

I have a 2017 Tundra. I've gone thru more wiper blades with this truck in the 7years ive owned it than other other vehicle i've had.Factory ,aftermarket doesnt matter .None last on this truck for some reason

The oem blades on my 2016 Honda CR-V are by far the best that I ever had on any vehicle I've owned.
When it finally was time to replace them I used OEM Honda blade inserts. Not much difference in price when your only replacing the insert.

Also, wipe the dirt off the blades once in a while.

Armor-all makes a great glass cleaner. Not a bad idea to clean the glass inside and out with that once in a while.

Also I add a few ounces of 409 cleaner to each new gallon of washer fluid. If you shake a jug and there is no foam on the top of the fluid, then it does not have enough detergent in it. Also, it is a great grease cutter if the rare occasion of getting splashed from an oilly puddle from a vehicle going the other way ever happens.

Be sure to put several layers of cloth towels or an old coat or something down on the windshield when changing blades. If it snaps down it can easily crack the windshield.

Reactions: hrv
They said you could put turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic spray wax on everything including the windshield. So I tried it. Squeaks are gone. Just a tiny bit is enough. I also found it rain X wiper blades are the only ones I have any luck with not squeaking

I had just put on some trico something or others that clearanced out at advanced a year or so ago. They were high-er end wipers but chatter and make horrible noise. Thought I’d never remedy it (though I hadn’t tried yet) so on a recent rock auto order I added some. Some time went by and I decided to clean my windshield pretty well, apply rain x (I know many of you feel rain x is the cause of chatter, but that’s never been my experience personally) and also applied some silicone spray to a paper towel and tried to condition the blade rubber. They are not perfectly chatter-free, but the noise is gone now. I can only see them chatter, not hear the horrible noise. Still have new ones on backup because i imagine this isn’t a permanent repair.

using the correct washer additive makes a big difference on the smoothness of the wipers.
I treat the rubber blade with either reim restorer or silicon grease every 2~3 months
Bosch aero twin are worth trying if you get them where you are

Make sure the windshield is absolutely clean. That mean no rain-x or anything else. Get rid of any windshield washer fluid that includes coating ingredients. Use either 0000 steel wool or Bon-Ami to scrub the glass. Thoroughly clean the glass. I use a homemade mix of 60% water, 20% vinegar, 20% alcohol and 8 to 10 drops of Dawn ins a 2 liter bottle. Then I apply 2 thin coats of Griots Glass sealer.

When you take the wiper blades out of the package and install them, test them immediately. If they squeak and/or streak, take them back to the store immediately.

For those recommending to clean the windshield, how can the windshield be absolutely clean for more than half a second?

In my experience, the squeaking is either the blade material or poor fitment to the glass. If it’s a single blade design, try the traditional hinged design out, or vice versa.

Back