Windshield washer fluid - DYI mix?

I would not recommend the 303 windshield washer tablets. I tried them several times, and was never impressed with the results. I tried them to the instructions the first time, with only average results. So I tried using two tablets to a gallon of water. Still only average results. Then three to a gallon. No noticeable improvement. I tried adding them to the cheap windshield washer fluid, thinking they may boost the performance. No noticeable improvement. Don't waste your money. There are better options out there.

I have used Nextzett Kristallklar Premium and have been very happy with the results. It does a great job of cleaning the windshield. It does not have any anti-freeze ingredients, but they show a water/alcohol ratio for different temperatures. I would highly recommend this product.

After reading excellent reviews, I recently bought a bottle of the BMW windshield washer concentrate. I haven't tried it yet. But it has the advantage of having antifreeze additive in it, so the back label shows multiple mix ratios, depending upon the freeze point desired. If the reviews are accurate, this should be a great option for a windshield washer concentrate.

The 303 has worked for me for many years. Maybe it depends on what kind of contamination you get on the windshield. Not too many bugs here but a lot of bird droppings..

The 303 has worked for me for many years. Maybe it depends on what kind of contamination you get on the windshield. Not too many bugs here but a lot of bird droppings..
Perhaps you are right. Bugs are what is tough to clean from the windshield, and 303 totally fails at cleaning them.

Been making my own for about a year.

~50% Distilled water
~40% White Vinegar
some 90% alcohol
some Dawn dish detergent

I had used some ammonia the first few batches.

Now, I have TWO Toyota vehicles in which the washer fluid pump does not work. I guess I will leave out the dish soap. I think that is coagulating and clogging up the pump.....

Anyone else?

I think this used to be true with the brass/pot metal nozzles. Today, most all are plastic and I doubt tap water is clogging them.
Take a close look at the adustable ball nozzles that are mounted in the squirters. I've never seen anything but stainless steel nozzles.

Take a close look at the adustable ball nozzles that are mounted in the squirters. I've never seen anything but stainless steel nozzles.
I just had to replace the known clogged check valve in our LX570. I had to remove the cowl and also removed the nozzles, they were all plastic. Plastic and rubber - all components on the Lexus LX570 / Toyota Land Cruiser washer system.

If you are happy with the cheapie .99 gallon solutions then 303 works just fine at a much cheaper price and is much more convenient.

If you require a premium solution the Kristallklar is excellent, and much more convenient than the expensive premixed gallons of pristine or rain-X

The manufacturer concentrates land somewhere in the middle with BMW and Hondas being similar and pretty good.

DIY - soft water, alcohol with only a drop or two of dish soap works well for me. I like lemi shine for this.

I find that buying the stuff is so cheap it’s not worth the time to make it myself.

Also, how much wash are you guys using? I only use maybe 4-5 gallons a year. Only like 15 bucks a year.

I find that buying the stuff is so cheap it’s not worth the time to make it myself.

Also, how much wash are you guys using? I only use maybe 4-5 gallons a year. Only like 15 bucks a year.

I'll go through a gallon a week per vehicle in the spring and summer.

Making it is a pain.
Buying it in gallon jugs is a pain as is any kind of bulk liquid purchase - soda and beverage runs.

The concentrates work best for me during bug season- 303 brackets this.

One major issue is I live in an EPA-controlled county and there's 13 of these counties, so it's difficult to buy and stock washer fluid that has real ingredients in it that really help.

Making it, I can put some 90% ISO alcohol in it and whatever else I choose. I'd rather put my money into something that helps versus buying blue water for $3

I just had to replace the known clogged check valve in our LX570. I had to remove the cowl and also removed the nozzles, they were all plastic. Plastic and rubber - all components on the Lexus LX570 / Toyota Land Cruiser washer system.
These Toyota washer nozzles are stainless steel

The Mini nozzles are stainless steel

These Honda nozzles appear to be plastic. No idea if they are adjustable or how that raggedy hole can produce a precision water jet without a sharp-edged nozzle is a mystery to me.
upload photo

I just use the RainX all season stuff at Wal-Mart......good enough for me. I also don't seem to go through it very fast, as I hand wash my car weekly during the summer and as often as I can in winter.

Data sheet for home brew fluid.

B2554425-4764-4506-B248-347CE8F62743.jpg

I add just a little PS21 to my washer fluid... Really helps in cleaning the windshield vs just plain old washer fluid...

I was visiting FCP Euro, and saw Vaico washer fluid concentrate. There isn't much description on the FCP Euro website, as to the dilution ratio, and no reviews either. But I did find elsewhere that it is a 10:1 water:concentrate ratio.

I'm always looking to try different windshield washer fluids, looking for products that stand out from the rest, so i was curious what experience anyone here may have with this product.

Ok, I couldn't wait to hear if anyone else had experience with it. I just ordered a jug.

I was visiting FCP Euro, and saw Vaico washer fluid concentrate. There isn't much description on the FCP Euro website, as to the dilution ratio, and no reviews either. But I did find elsewhere that it is a 10:1 water:concentrate ratio.

I'm always looking to try different windshield washer fluids, looking for products that stand out from the rest, so i was curious what experience anyone here may have with this product.

Ok, I couldn't wait to hear if anyone else had experience with it. I just ordered a jug.

Your should ping UG_Passat and see how they liked it.

I think it should be a pretty decent product at least, in line with the P21S, 1Z, Würth, and concentrates of that nature.

Could be sourced from one of them as well. Not really familiar with Vaico/Vierol, but they seem more like a distributor than a manufacturer to me.

Back