Tell me if I'm getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons to go for a 0/5 W20 over a 5/10 W30 is for the oil to pump more quickly around the engine at non operating temps.

Using synpower as an example, at 40c the cST for 5w20 is 48 vs at 100c being 8.65. For 5w30 it is 59 and 10.5 respectively.

At lower temps the cST increases exponentially. I found a graphing program that said at 0c 5w20 would be about 400 cST and 5w30 would be 475cST

So my questions are this;

1) Clearly the cST's are huge at non operating temperatures compared to at operating temperatures. This means oil will not flow as quickly by a huge order of magnitude at non operating temperatures. In that respect, discussions about 5w20 vs 5w30 vs 15w50 seem irrelevant as far as the second number is concerned. Why do I say this? Well a lot of the concerns I have read seems to be that thicker oil won't flow around the engine freely enough, that gaps are smaller and the oil might not get everywhere.

Well if the cST for 5w20 is in the hundreds when cold and that is tolerable for the warranty period let alone hundreds of thousands of miles, why would single digit cST differences between 5w20 and 5w30 at operating temperatures make any difference? In the case of a cold start at 0c, a cST of 400 is still deemed to protect the engine, so why would going from 8.65 to 10.5 at 100c cause any issues whatsoever?

2) If a 0c 5w20 Cst is 400 and a 0c 5w30 Cst is 475, is the 5w20 that much better than the 5w30? The reason I ask is as follows. They are both labelled as 5w so presumably when the temperature gets lower, the 5w30 closes the gap a little. Also, as the temperature drops, the cST's go up even more. So the oils, rated for temperatures below 0c, will flow even more slowly below 0c then at 0c. Such cST's for the 5w20 will be deemed acceptable, thus cST's for the 5w30 at temperatures ever so slightly higher than the 5w20 will also be acceptable. Ie if the 5w20 was ok flowing that slow, then the 5w30 would be also.

So really my conclusions are as follows - which I would love to have corrected(!)

1) That unless you are reaching the lower ranges of allowable temperatures for your 5w20/30, there is no real cold start benefit from using 5w20 vs 5w30. The flow rate at 0c is relatively unimpeded compared to lower than 0c.
2) That the engine is not impacted by a 30, 40 or even 50 weight oil compared to a 20 weight oil at operating temperature because at non operating temps these same oils flow at rates many orders of magnitude slower and are deemed to protect.
3) That the really important judgement that needs to be made is whether the 20 weight oil is too thin to prevent metal to metal wear. Clearly as you approach zero cST, the difference between 10 and 8 is quite big.

Thoughts & Criticisms?

Last edited:
) That the really important judgement that needs to be made is whether the 20 weight oil is too thin to prevent metal to metal wear. Clearly as you approach zero cST, the difference between 10 and 8 is quite big.

I realise I am only commenting on a small part of your in-depth post, however from all I have read, in a not too-long of a time, most 5w30 oils sheer down to nigh a 20w on the top end as it is. From what I have read here, the modern 5w20 weights are very sheer-stable in comparison to the 5w30. I am also "old-enough" school that I had to re-learn, that thicker oil isnt necessairly "better" nor does it provide more protection in an engine specked for lighter weight oils. I run PYB 5w20 in my '08 Merc GMQ with confidence. No "need" I feel to go with a 5w or 10w 30
55.gif

Last edited:
I agree, and would add to have a look at the specs on Castrol Edge 0W20, which gives even a better margin while cold than just about any oil I've seen. Honda and Toyota 0W20 oils look very good too.

Nice write up!

Yes I read similar stuff on 5w30 shearing.

I was also wanting to get feedback on whether others felt there were definite (not extreme) everyday cold start benefits from 5w20.

The way I looked at the numbers suggested that those benefits might be overstated.

Last edited:
I think from what I have gleaned on my short time here, (and my personal leanings) that as well as most major-brand oils are constructed and formulated, one's personal psychological outlook plays a great part in our choices. Not saying that is a "bad-thing" in any way, its great fun to delve into all the nuances of lubrication I think :)

Doing a quick read, I think you are pretty much spot-on. A few comments:

-I dont have much faith in a plotting program extrapolating some viscosity. The only way to know for certain is to run a test. PDSs do show cranking viscosities at the right temperature for the 'w' rating. That does shed some insight.

-As a whole, any 5w-xx vs any other 5w-xx should have similar starting and flow properties... But here is the other part of it, at some arbitrary starting temperature, a 10w-xx oil may be slightly thinner! As a whole, 5w-xx is going to flow better at startup than 10w-xx and than 15w-xx, but there may be points where this is not the case, especially if one oil is syn and the other is conventional. The driver to 5w-xx oils from 10w-xx oils was a very slight reduction in viscous drag at startup, helping fuel economy to bump up a tad.

-Given that the fuel economy battery of tests use a good deal of warmed up time for testing, recognize that 20 vs 30 vs 40 to some extent are approaches to effect fuel economy. If going from a 30wt to a 20wt nets 0.4-0.6MPG, it will be lost in the noise as far as your tankfulls go, but in the big scheme of things, millions of people running thousands of gallons of fuel in their cars, it starts to add up. And, since the difference in oil can fairly well show that the car will still last to 100-150k regardless, most typical drivers have nothing to loose.

-I dont think that we have any indication that 20wt is too thin to prevent metal to metal wear. Perhaps under some severe loading or extreme temperatures, the wear rates can go up, but a modern formulated motor oil should protect between the oil film and the additives which protect the surfaces.

My 2c.

Good thinking! It's the operating conditions that should dictate viscosity, which is less and less relevant as the years go by with new oils being as good as they are.

rjacket -They are ALL operating temperatures. There is no non operating temperature.

But generally, your deductions are correct.
A 5-20 is thinner at very cold , mid , and hot temps than a 10-30.
The first # is 0 deg F thickness, and the second is 212 deg F.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
rjacket -They are ALL operating temperatures. There is no non operating temperature.

But generally, your deductions are correct.
A 5-20 is thinner at very cold , mid , and hot temps than a 10-30.
The first # is 0 deg F thickness, and the second is 212 deg F.

Yes I know. My point was that those who say 5w20 is better than 5w30 for starting at any temperature seem to be ignoring the fact that the cST for 5w20 (as with 5w30) at extremely cold temps is in the thousands whereas the cST of 5w30 at reasonably cold starting temperatures is in the hundreds.

My other point was that how could people go around saying that a 50 weight oil would not flow through an engine quickly enough when the cST for a 50 weight at normal operating temperature is many orders of magnitude lower than the cST of a 5w20 when an engine is started up, even at 0c? If the 5w20 is flowing quickly enough for the engine manufacturer at start up, why wouldn't the 15w50 flow quickly enough at normal operating temperature when it's cST and therefore thickness is lower than the 5w20's?

Last edited:
All viscs appear the same at different time/temps. They're just out of phase with each other and terminate at different visc at the same temp.

Let's take a typical 5w-20 vs. a 15w-50 M1 (since it's just about the only 15w-50 out there - or at least the most popular).

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 15W-50
SAE Grade 15W-50
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 131.2
cSt @ 100º C 18.1
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 154
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.21
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 4.50
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -39
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 235
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.87

At 100C it's at 18.1 cSt

Now let's see what Superflo's got to offer

SAE Grade 5W-20
API Service Classification SM
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C 47.0
cSt at 100°C 8.3
CCS, cP 5180@ -30 °C
Viscosity Index 153
Flash Point, °C (°F), ASTM D 92 200 (392)
Pour Point, °C (°F ) -39(-38)
Gravity, API 33.6

At 67C/153F the 5w-20 has the same visc as the 15w-50 does @ 100C/212F.

So your premise is correct. If an engine (some restrictions and conditions can surely apply = aka exceptions) is perfectly protected and functional through EVERY cold start event with 5w-20 ..there should be no destructive aspect to the 15w-50 since both all viscs (indexed for relative conditions) are experienced by the engine as it transitions through the warm up state.

That is, if you're "hurting" your engine at operating temp with a 15w-50, you're also hurting it EVERY TIME to varying degrees throughout every driving event with EVERY fluid due to even the lightest oil being too thick.

No cold property aspects are involved here.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
My other point was that how could people go around saying that a 50 weight oil would not flow through an engine quickly enough when the cST for a 50 weight at normal operating temperature is many orders of magnitude lower than the cST of a 5w20 when an engine is started up, even at 0c? If the 5w20 is flowing quickly enough for the engine manufacturer at start up, why wouldn't the 15w50 flow quickly enough at normal operating temperature when it's cST and therefore thickness is lower than the 5w20's?

In some engines the oil pump goes into bypass at higher rpm.
The thinner the oil the longer it takes (= higher rpm) for the bypass to open the more oil flows through the engine.
All at operating temp I mean.
Below operating temp one should not rev any engine anyway.
19.gif

Yeah, there will always be exceptions, but the focus here is on getting rational views on viscosity where a given cSt is a given cSt at different times/temps.

Essentially: If you're so afraid of a 50 weight at 70F in your alleged 5w-20 spec'd engine, then some poor soul in Canada must be shaking in his boots at the shear terror at each and every starting event beyond where the cold flow properties are booted out of the equation and he's truly flowing cold glue 20 weight oil.

rjacket - If an engine was always running and hot, we could get away with straight weight and heavier oils.
But even though a 50 hot may be thinner than a 5-20 when cold, we have to consider that the needs are different at different temperatures. Engines and their internals expand when hot. Computer controls are different for warm up - things like variable cam timing, and others.
And the goal is always THINNER at start up - manufacturers recognize this. 5 and 0 [first numbers] were unheard of years ago. Now we are able to make them, and it is a benefit.
We are fighting to get cold oil thinner, in other words.

Yes I understand. Look I guess my question is this. What are the wear levels in real life at different viscosities due to ambient temperature differences?

As you can see, I live in CA, not Canada. My car is garaged so usually started at temps no lower than 40f in winter and right now it's probably 70f in the garage. On the odd occassion I might have gone somewhere cold and it then sits out overnight in the cold. Maybe it went below freezing overnight and the car was outside. But this is rare.

So what is the magntitude of engine wear when the ambient temperature is -20c vs 10c. What benefit does a 0w provide vs a 5w when it is -20c compared to when it is 10c.

Yes it's better, but should I go out of my way to get 0w oils in California? Should I pass up the chance to get a stash of Synpower 5w30 at $1 qt and instead buy 0w30 at the regular price of $5 qt?

Quote:
What benefit does a 0w provide vs a 5w when it is -20c compared to when it is 10c.

I say none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back