Techron Concentrate Plus vs Redline S1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I can buy either of these, what would you buy and why. How would you use it first time then ongoing. Is the maint dose of Redline really the way to go?

Techron concentrate or plus has a long history of excellence on this and other NGs. I have used it for ~ 20 years. I use it as recommended on the Techron container about once every 6,000 miles or just before an oil change. I don't believe in low level maintenance dosing.

I know PEA has been removed from the MSDS (for which product) but this info still says that PEA is present.

Chevron Techron

I don't much care either way. Gumout Regane with PEA is $4.94 at WalMart and treats the same number of gallons so is a better buy all the way round.

Chevrons Techron is my choice. I have seen no data that even suggests that other system cleaners are better. The MSDS, while interesting, does not quantify the effectness of a system cleaner. JM observations. Ed

I keep track of cleaners' performance in my car by comparing the trip computer mileage to the actual mileage. When the injectors are clean they match very closely. Techron in my case did little or nothing. Regane was very effective. YMMV of course....

I've used techron alot and recently started using redline. With the techron I never noticed anything, but with the SI-1 I noticed the car was running better and smooter. I can get it locally down the street, so I'll keep using it.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Techron no long has PEA so I'd go with the Redline.

Quote:
"The current state-of-the-art treatment is an additive called polyether amine (PEA). Developed by Chevron... it carries the company's trade name TECHRON."
–Motor Trend Magazine

Quote:
Polybutene Amine (PBA) and Polyether Amine (PEA) are two chemical technologies originally developed and patented by Chevron to help clean harmful deposits from carburetors, injectors, valves, and ports. Although commonly found in most consumer fuel system treatments, PBA still leaves behind combustion chamber deposits, preventing an engine from being restored to its original performance.

Not only does Techron Concentrate Plus have enough PEA to help remove deposits from your fuel system in one tankful, but it also can clean and protect your fuel system sensors from sulfuric buildup – the root cause of many faulty fuel gauge readings.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/additives/tcp.aspx

img_chev_car_bottom_right.png

Last edited:
I almost bought a bottle of Techron at Walmart tonight. I`m always skeptical though of any additives,in any shape or form that go in oil or gasoline. Can Techron cause any harm whatsoever to fuel injectors? The bottle says it treats 15 gallons. My car has a 20 gallon tank,so I`m considering waiting till I`m on half a tank,adding it,and then filling up the gas tank.

Techron does not do any harm to fuel system including fuel injectors. Techron is in every grade of gas sold at Chevron gas stations, and it is more concentrated in the premium gas. Chevron gas is my favorite gas, I would but it even if it is few cents more than others around.

I've used Techron, Regane, Amsoil PI, and Red Line. IMO the RL is the best of the bunch. Amazon had some nice deals on it a while back so I loaded up. IIRC RL can be used in low dose maint doses once everything is cleaned up and contains a UCL which the other don't. Opinions vary, I use RL now.

Reason I`m considering it,I get a slight engine "ping/chirp" when the engine`s good and hot,under hard acceleration between shifts.

I use it in my mid-90s car from time to time. I don't notice a huge difference, but I also tend to use good gasoline (Chevron or Shell).

I will say after beginning to use it 2x a year in this old car, I have NOT had a fuel injector go out. In the previous 10 years or so, I had to replace fuel injectors 2-3x times, I should have just tried some Techron.

I used it in 08 Mercedes for the first time today. Due to construction, I can't get to Chevron gas station very often for the next year, so I have to use Shell. Therefore, I went ahead and used some Techron concentrate today. I hope it will be ok, should be.

This is the *ONLY* additive of any kind that is actually approved by the strict Mercedes & BMW.

It won't affect a UOA will it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back