Team Green

No, dairy is completely dead, except for the mega dairy farms. Drive through northern Iowa, Wisconsin, and southern Minnesota and count the thousands of extinct family dairy farms. It's shocking.

The market is already reflecting this. Used machinery that doesn't have the locked computers has gone way up in value, because farmers are choosing to use the older machines over purchasing locked-in new. Many used tractors are now selling for more than they were new.
The emissions controls are a burden as well. Even the compact tractors get emission controls on them.

The market is already reflecting this. Used machinery that doesn't have the locked computers has gone way up in value, because farmers are choosing to use the older machines over purchasing locked-in new. Many used tractors are now selling for more than they were new.
And I personally support that 100%.

If I were an EE and had the requisite controls and computer/software skills I would be laser focused on all manner of work arounds for companies that are trying to lock people out of their systems.

No, dairy is completely dead, except for the mega dairy farms. Drive through northern Iowa, Wisconsin, and southern Minnesota and count the thousands of extinct family dairy farms. It's shocking.
We have family dairy [ they are big to me] still here I really enjoy the the dairies and ag. I can't imagine running one. Driving by by their equipment yard ,the value of the machinery parked in them is beyond comprehension. Last summer my neighbor wanted me to look at some hay balers ,there are half million dollar baler set ups .

The equipment is so expensive , ,,
That and methods change. We have rice, cotton, feed/fuel corn, other grains, carpet grass etc … “laser guided farming“ in the fields, auto pilot, AC & XM radio …
Oh, and the process side ? Cotton gins don’t start come out of “warm stacked mode” until modules are hitting the ground so they can ramp up for a shorter cost effective run … Similar changes in other commodities
This creates a concentration in related activities where big and expensive machines dominate …

A farmer from Saskatchewan was visiting a farmer from Texas. The farmer from Texas said “ At sunup, I can start combining on my biggest field, combine all day until sundown, and I still won’t be finished.” The farmer from Saskatchewan said “ Yep, I know what you mean...I once had a combine like that. “ :D

• Haha
Reactions: 4WD
Green is the most common in my region but there is variety in specific crops and regions. For instance New Holland and various Italian makes are common in grapes and you’ll see Kubota in some regions in vegetables. Heavy tillage and Dairy will have large JD, Case, and Challenger. Carrots seem to be exclusivly Case.

Back