Team Green

wwillson

Staff member
I snapped this picture about 6:00AM one morning this fall while pulling out of the driveway of the farm I grew up on. Harvest had just finished, but nothing was put away yet.

20201024_122633768_iOS.jpg

Back many many many years ago when I was farming with 2 cylinder Johny poppers I was a big JD fan. After the multi cylinder. tractors came out, not as much. Also quit farming and became a mechanic, (auto) so don't know much about the new stuff.

How do people around there feel about JD locking down their equipment and trying to make everything dealer repair only?
I feel like Louis Rossmann says it far better than I ever could. He’s got multiple videos on the subject.

The farmers don’t want to meddle with the code, they just want it to work and to be able to fix it without a dealer having to come out. They claim safety and blah blah blah but to require a proprietary piece of software to clear codes and get it up and running again is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Our little town sells JD, Case, CAT, Kubota, and Mahindra …
Adjacent counties are doing more contract harvesting where farmers own less kit …

How do people around there feel about JD locking down their equipment and trying to make everything dealer repair only?
I personally think its an excellent reason to switch and for the free market to come up with after market controls where you can rip all that out and replace with a basic system.

They are all "nice" but computer control is not an absolute requirement.

I personally think its an excellent reason to switch and for the free market to come up with after market controls where you can rip all that out and replace with a basic system.

The market is already reflecting this. Used machinery that doesn't have the locked computers has gone way up in value, because farmers are choosing to use the older machines over purchasing locked-in new. Many non-locked used tractors are now selling for more than they were new.

Our little town sells JD, Case, CAT, Kubota, and Mahindra …
Adjacent counties are doing more contract harvesting where farmers own less kit …
The equipment is so expensive , ,,

Reactions: 4WD
Back