Deere's remote shutdown capability finally comes in handy

Apparently Russian forces raided a Deere farm equipment dealership in Ukraine and tried to bring it to Chechnya. Only when it finally got there all the systems were remotely disabled. They also contained GPS (I've actually met a Deere engineer who worked in Southern California working on their GPS systems) where they were able to figure out where the stolen equipment was.

Over the past few weeks there's been a growing number of reports of Russian troops stealing farm equipment, grain and even building materials - beyond widespread looting of residences. But the removal of valuable agricultural equipment from a John Deere dealership in Melitopol speaks to an increasingly organized operation, one that even uses Russian military transport as part of the heist.​
CNN has learned that the equipment was removed from an Agrotek dealership in Melitopol, which has been occupied by Russian forces since early March. Altogether it's valued at nearly $5 million. The combine harvesters alone are worth $300,000 each.​
CNN is not naming a contact in Melitopol familiar with the details of the case for their own safety.​
The contact said the process began with the seizure of two combine harvesters, a tractor and a seeder. Over the next few weeks, everything else was removed: in all 27 pieces of farm machinery. One of the flat-bed trucks used, and caught on camera, had a white "Z" painted on it and appeared to be a military truck.​
The contact said there were rival groups of Russian troops: some would come in the morning and some in the evening.​
Some of the machinery was taken to a nearby village, but some of it embarked on a long overland journey to Chechnya more than 700 miles away. The sophistication of the machinery, which are equipped with GPS, meant that its travel could be tracked. It was last tracked to the village of Zakhan Yurt in Chechnya.​
The equipment ferried to Chechnya, which included combine harvesters -- can also be controlled remotely. "When the invaders drove the stolen harvesters to Chechnya, they realized that they could not even turn them on, because the harvesters were locked remotely," the contact said.​

How the hell did they get the fuel for that long journey? They on average hold 300 of fuel, and use 15 gallons per mile. That means 20 miles on one tank of fuel. That means 20 refills to go 700 miles. I'm gonna call the distance traveled as BS. They probably are running low on fuel themselves..

How the hell did they get the fuel for that long journey? They on average hold 300 of fuel, and use 15 gallons per mile. That means 20 miles on one tank of fuel. That means 20 refills to go 700 miles. I'm gonna call the distance traveled as BS. They probably are running low on fuel themselves..
They put them on trailers to move them. They didn't drive combines 700 miles on roads.

too bad they couldn't be rigged to EXPLODE remotely!
My money says they've went "boom" by now, that is, unless they figure out how to override then disable the remote capabilities. Otherwise, they're just spare parts vehicles or land anchors.

I'm pretty sure they were loaded onto other vehicles to be transported. The quote I gave included that they were loaded on flatbeds.

Looks like the max distance the newest tank haulers can go is 500 miles on a full tank of fuel.

Do we think the Russians involved were ordered to get them there as gifts for Chechnya, storage for use in Russia, or a personal gain by a higher up command?

Looks like the max distance the newest tank haulers can go is 500 miles on a full tank of fuel.

Do we think the Russians involved were ordered to get them there as gifts for Chechnya, storage for use in Russia, or a personal gain by a higher up command?

Well - you don't suppose they have supply lines established in order to refuel vehicles? I'm not thinking too much of them, but at this point I'm pretty sure they've had enough time to at least move trucks a few hundred miles.

Yeah, it's only in the movies do you have a self destruct button. Who wants to buy a combine or other equipment with a self destruct button?

There's been some rumors that the United States might have some sort of kill switch in F-35s. Not necessarily that they would be shut down on command, but that they need active, friendly contact with US communications or else they are disabled after a period of time.

I'm sure they can find a way to rework them with their own circuits and controls. Also 5M is "not a lot of money" in equipment in the middle of war. I'm sure Russian has enough engineers that can rig something together to use them if they want, or their goal is just to make sure Ukraine cannot use them / US companies loses them.

There's been some rumors that the United States might have some sort of kill switch in F-35s. Not necessarily that they would be shut down on command, but that they need active, friendly contact with US communications or else they are disabled after a period of time.
I'm sure in 2022 every single fighter jet in every nation's airforce has a hidden kill switch somewhere already.

I'm sure they can find a way to rework them with their own circuits and controls. Also 5M is "not a lot of money" in equipment in the middle of war. I'm sure Russian has enough engineers that can rig something together to use them if they want, or their goal is just to make sure Ukraine cannot use them / US companies loses them.
I recall there was a documentary on farmers right to repair equipment in the US like 5 years ago, and Deere wouldn't provide access to the on board diagnostics, so they ended up getting diagnostic software from a guy in Ukraine or Russia who had hacked it.
I could be wrong, but I always get the feeling that its easier to be hacker there, especially if they are just ripping off western companies, no authority is going to bother them, except for maybe a percentage of the profits...

I'm sure in 2022 every single fighter jet in every nation's airforce has a hidden kill switch somewhere already.

There are 50 year old fighters still in use. I'm not sure that older fighters have been modified that way either. Some countries are still flying F-5s and MiG-21s.

There are 50 year old fighters still in use. I'm not sure that older fighters have been modified that way either. Some countries are still flying F-5s and MiG-21s.
I'm absolutely sure it is cheaper to upgrade them with advanced electronics than to forge / stamp / manual operate the old fashion way. Just one defect of a rogue pilot would be enough of a security concern they would rather just lock down a jet mid air.

I recall there was a documentary on farmers right to repair equipment in the US like 5 years ago, and Deere wouldn't provide access to the on board diagnostics, so they ended up getting diagnostic software from a guy in Ukraine or Russia who had hacked it.
I could be wrong, but I always get the feeling that its easier to be hacker there, especially if they are just ripping off western companies, no authority is going to bother them, except for maybe a percentage of the profits...
Yes, they have some of the best hackers in the world for sure, but their fundamental engineering are strong. Many of the valley's top engineers in the 90s were former military engineers who immigrated to the US (I've worked with at least 3 and all 3 of them have done military R&D in the past). The bigger problem for them is whether it is worth doing just one off work for $5M worth of equipment, but if they have some existing solutions then it is probably just a matter of installing soft mod. The only reason it wasn't so rampant in the west is lawsuits, but if they are stolen anyways I don't think they would care.

They are not going to get replacement parts and diagnostics if they malfunction, that's for sure.

Yes, they have some of the best hackers in the world for sure, but their fundamental engineering are strong. Many of the valley's top engineers in the 90s were former military engineers who immigrated to the US (I've worked with at least 3 and all 3 of them have done military R&D in the past).

Agreed, we use Starwind that's based out of Ukraine (well, actually based out of Massachusetts but the majority of their things were in Kyiv) and they've been some of the best tech support I've used. Very strong problem solving and interconnected skills between VMWare and Starwind.

There are 50 year old fighters still in use. I'm not sure that older fighters have been modified that way either. Some countries are still flying F-5s.

Disagree as that is wasteful and combines help against starving of people who just happen to live somewhere and have no say or power to change what their leaders do.

Explode and injure the occupant is one thing, but perhaps something that explodes and damages the equipment to the point where it's useless might be another. However, that sort of thing usually would have regulatory issues. I for one would hope that cars don't have kill switches like that which will cause small detonations.

Back