Landscaping Question

So I have this very ugly section of dirt in my backyard I have been looking at for 6 years now and I am sick of it.
There is a pathway that had rocks the leads from a brick patio to my driveway that extends to the back of the property to a detached garage. I plan to pave that walkway with concrete. Next to that pathway is a square patch of dirt that once had a tree that I cut down and my air conditioner as well as a small elevated rock platform where the water heater closet is. I plan to put grass there. Where I run into an issue is the yard slopes down toward my driveway as my house is on a hill. Previous owner surrounded that square dirt patch with landscape timbers that are rotting away and are ugly. the soil is built up in there and elevated above the driveway concrete. I am not sure if that was necessary or just a decision they made. I am trying to figure out if I can just remove those and bring the dirt level back down to the driveway concrete or if I need to replace the landscape timbers with fresh ones or make a curb out of concrete when they do the walkway. I am not sure if drainage would be an issue. I would plant the grass to be level or close to level to the concrete. Hopefully these pictures can give an accurate picture of what I am trying to convey.

Attachments

• 20230910_104417.jpg
    20230910_104417.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230910_104436.jpg
    20230910_104436.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230910_105606.jpg
    20230910_105606.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 48
So I have this very ugly section of dirt in my backyard I have been looking at for 6 years now and I am sick of it.
There is a pathway that had rocks the leads from a brick patio to my driveway that extends to the back of the property to a detached garage. I plan to pave that walkway with concrete. Next to that pathway is a square patch of dirt that once had a tree that I cut down and my air conditioner as well as a small elevated rock platform where the water heater closet is. I plan to put grass there. Where I run into an issue is the yard slopes down toward my driveway as my house is on a hill. Previous owner surrounded that square dirt patch with landscape timbers that are rotting away and are ugly. the soil is built up in there and elevated above the driveway concrete. I am not sure if that was necessary or just a decision they made. I am trying to figure out if I can just remove those and bring the dirt level back down to the driveway concrete or if I need to replace the landscape timbers with fresh ones or make a curb out of concrete when they do the walkway. I am not sure if drainage would be an issue. I would plant the grass to be level or close to level to the concrete. Hopefully these pictures can give an accurate picture of what I am trying to convey.
Rock and cactus …

It's always a good idea to have the ground higher up near the house so the water drains away . Yeah I'd get rid of those landscape timbers . Some more panaramic views would help would help

Some more pics. I just need to know if I need the soil built up or if I need to get rid of some of at least slope it to the rest of the yard and have it flush with the driveway.

Attachments

• 20230912_184916.jpg
    20230912_184916.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230912_184916.jpg
    20230912_184916.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230912_184839.jpg
    20230912_184839.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 19
Do you get Heavy Rains where the yard floods and water gets in the basement or crawlspace ? If you do get Heavy Rains then you may want to wait for them and go out when it's pouring .......... with your rubber boots and rain jacket and look around to see what the rain water is doing ........ that will give you an idea what you need to do .

Buy an inexpensive string line level to determine your grade. You want water to flow away from the house. While recommendations vary, on hard surfaces (driveway) you want a minimum of 1% drop and on lawns/soft surfaces you want a minimum of 2%. Lots of video instructions available and hopefully you paid attention to math classes in high school.

Do you get Heavy Rains where the yard floods and water gets in the basement or crawlspace ? If you do get Heavy Rains then you may want to wait for them and go out when it's pouring .......... with your rubber boots and rain jacket and look around to see what the rain water is doing ........ that will give you an idea what you need to do
No basement or crawlspace.ive never had any water sitting issues on the lawn. Water does collect on the driveway but it eventually absorbs into the grass next to the driveway or evaporates.

As small as that area is, could you use an astro-turf artificial product to cover it. As long as it can drain.
A restaurant near me has done that in small areas in between concrete sections. It looks good and no maintenance.

Some more pics. I just need to know if I need the soil built up or if I need to get rid of some of at least slope it to the rest of the yard and have it flush with the driveway.

My WAG is that the timer pieces are there to keep the soil from washing out every time it rains. The ground looks like it has a slight depression in the area between the gate and the plant in the blue planter.

Perhaps replace the timber with stone and filter fabric?
Grade everything, pull out the grass and install pavers?
Grade everything, pull out the grass, add edging along the driveway and pour pea gravel?

Back