Latest HOA story

It's a very small HOA. Expensive law suits would not be good. Insurance would cover it and then they drop you.

Many people have messed around with their swale doing yard renovation. Depending on location you may depend upon your neighbors swale flowing so your swale will flow properly.

The paved road around the HOA is 25' wide but the actual road on survey maps is 50' wide. So 12' on each side of the paved road is common property. So the swale is on common property but homeowners maintain it (cut the grass, etc.) Homeowners could request their swale be fixed and HOA pay for it as it's common property. That would be very expensive. No money for that.

Reactions: Pew
People assume because a contractor did the work it must be correct and I am wrong with my explanation.

Very frustrating.
Since events starting almost exactly three years ago I've found it true that it's easier to fool people than convince them they've been fooled. Sad but true.

So, here’s my addendum to HOA conundrums and how I admire like people like DONALD who tries to deal with them. Recently we had an amendment come to a vote. The proposal was to have new buyers contribute 6 months of the HOA fee into the general fund as opposed to the current 3 month at closing. The idea was to build up the general fund to forestall the need to raise the HOA fees to EXISTING homeowners.An approval would have NO impact on existing homeowners. Well, half the knuckleheads where I live couldn’t figure out how to navigate the “double” procedure of envelopes to disguise their identity and their ballots were invalid. The rest voted overwhelmingly against the amendment because ‘they didn’t want their HOA fees to double.’ Which is what the proposed amendment was designed to prevent. How people who can accumulate a considerable amount of wealth in their lifetimes can be so dumb boggles the mind. Good luck Donald.
That's too funny.

How was the fee communicated to the community? I normally hear to the term "One time capital contribution" used to describe it.

One thing I see for smaller HOAs is not much in the way of keeping minutes for meetings, keeping votes. If someone challenges an assessment and there are no minutes of the the meeting or record of the voting then you may be in trouble. Basically if there are no minutes then the meeting did not happen.

• Wow
Reactions: JC1
Back