Extending driveway / remediation / water erosion questions

I built my 30x50 workshop last year, had planned putting in a driveway this spring. Until now there was enough organic matter/grass present that things didn't get too nasty when it rained, but now that I've been driving on it a few months, it's turning into a mud bog in wet weather. Time to get this thing done!

Photos show where the driveway needs to extend to the shop-- my idea is to put a circle driveway that connects the shop to the attached garage, so if one backs out of the shop, you don't have to do a hairpin turn in reverse to exit the driveway going forward. I was thinking of renting a medium size skid-steer, digging down the soil 3-4 inches, and laying in some large stone for a base (something larger than #57), then laying either #57 or something smaller for the top layer. Looking for recommendations on stone size / how to approach this. It sets on a reasonable incline from the main driveway to the shop, but nothing drastic.

I also have a water erosion problem, which I knew would happen, but at least it's identified the spot where I need drainage across the main driveway. I was thinking digging a trench and filling it with large >3" crushed rock, then topping it with finer stone. Or should I do something more elaborate with pipe? Hopefully the photos will give an idea of what I have in mind.

Attachments

• IMG_4720.jpg
    IMG_4720.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4721.jpg
    IMG_4721.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4722.jpg
    IMG_4722.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4723.jpg
    IMG_4723.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4724.jpg
    IMG_4724.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4725.jpg
    IMG_4725.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4726.jpg
    IMG_4726.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 27
It’s hard for me to give you much advice. I can’t see the overall lay of the land. Normally, you should have it graded so the water will shed to a lower point on the property.

If you want a nice driveway, I would use asphalt.
Plus, A good paving contractor will have the equipment to do the grading. They will usually have a staking crew come in, take some elevations, and stake for grading. Some newer grading equipment have lasers and or receivers. This gives input back to the operators and they can adjust for cut or fill.

I believe your basic plan is good. The geo fabric mentioned is also good. I think you do need to provide pipe for the cross drain.

If you want a nice driveway, I would use asphalt.
Not an option here. My house would stick out like a sore thumb in this rural area and attract attention I don't want. Long driveway, the heat off asphalt in mid summer is a no go. My kids and dogs play on it. Gravel works well here, just need to narrow down method, stone size and drainage.

It’s hard for me to give you much advice. I can’t see the overall lay of the land. Normally, you should have it graded so the water will shed to a lower point on the property.
House and shop are the high points. Unfortunately driveway runs downhill, this isn't a suburban 40 foot driveway where you can just add fill. We have Karst topography here, lowest point goes across the driveway, no way around that.

Does this help? Sort of an overview. The water drains across the driveway from the shop (shop would be left/bottom of first photo, out of view). No way to avoid this. You can't tell by the photo, but the whole front lawn, closer you get to the road is a giant sinkhole, the beauty of living in this area of KY. All the water from the house and shop drains there, and we get a nice size pond when it rains hard.

Attachments

• 20170819_164559.jpg
    20170819_164559.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 16
  • ls.jpg
    ls.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 16
I think if it was me doing this i would dig the entire thing down at least a foot to 18 inches lay drainage pipe down both sides drop pit run then top with gravel at least with this depth of gravel it will pull a lot of water down hill .

Does this help? Sort of an overview. The water drains across the driveway from the shop (shop would be left/bottom of first photo, out of view). No way to avoid this. You can't tell by the photo, but the whole front lawn, closer you get to the road is a giant sinkhole, the beauty of living in this area of KY. All the water from the house and shop drains there, and we get a nice size pond when it rains hard.

92 saturnsl2:

I don’t know the first thing about proper drainage (as evidenced by the recent monsoon here earlier this week) but after looking at the photo on the right, I would either stock it with catfish and striped bass and make it into a pay lake or I’d add some slides and paddle boats and turn it into a water park.

Either way you monetize it and it’s a win/win.

Until the next drought………..

Back