Tank Water heater in the attic.

I'm in the house 4yrs now (second owner, house is 7yrs old) and haven't done heater flush one (I know, my fault). I was calling a couple of plumbing companies and one of them told me sure, no problem - we can come out and do the flush, 225$ a piece. Second company told me that if it hasn't been serviced regularly it's better of not to touch it all. So i'm a bit confused now on what to do. It looks like average tank heater life is 10yrs so should i just get them replaced? what are yalls thoughts and experiences? What it would cost to replace them?

Tank not tankless right.
I never flushed mine in 19 years and got a new one for another house.
One was a State and the other a BW both with the anti flush features.

The State brand created tank turbulence and was self cleaning.
I wouldn't bother it.

My basement electric water heater failed last year... It was a cheapo whatever brands least expensive, 7 year expected model. That god **** heater lasted 21 years and was never flushed until i bought the house from my dad. I have hard water too, I cannot explain it.

IF there is considerable sediment in the tank , the Valve may not seal when you close it off and you'll have a small leak . It's a crap shoot . I wouldn't change them just yet .

In the attic? Never seen that one before...seems like a terrible idea if it ever leaks. I would try to flush it...not difficult and the company wanting $225 clearly is trying to take advantage.

I hope you have safety and shut off features however. That is most important.
it's a bradford white heaters, not sure if those features are present but I'd hope so. It was builder installing it.

IF there is considerable sediment in the tank , the Valve may not seal when you close it off and you'll have a small leak . It's a crap shoot . I wouldn't change them just yet .
is there a way to check the sediment build up?

Tank not tankless right.
I never flushed mine in 19 years and got a new one for another house.
One was a State and the other a BW both with the anti flush features.

The State brand created tank turbulence and was self cleaning.
I wouldn't bother it.
yes, it's a tank gas heater, bradford white as well. need to look up the model

Water Heater in the attic = not a good idea.
Depending on the house design, could it be relocated to first floor? / I assume you do not have a basement.

Where I live (North, USA), I never really see anything come out if I drain any water / County water NOT well).
So, I drain (one gallon at most) yearly to confirm the water is clear.

If I were the OP,
1) If the water tank HAS TO BE in the attic, I would have it sitting in a Drip Tray along with a Water Alarm that can be heard on the first floor.
2) Remove the factory drain and install a 3/4" ball valve / I did mine when new.

Water Heater in the attic = not a good idea.
Depending on the house design, could it be relocated to first floor? / I assume you do not have a basement.

Where I live (North, USA), I never really see anything come out if I drain any water / County water NOT well).
So, I drain (one gallon at most) yearly to confirm the water is clear.

If I were the OP,
1) If the water tank HAS TO BE in the attic, I would have it sitting in a Drip Tray along with a Water Alarm that can be heard on the first floor.
2) Remove the factory drain and install a 3/4" ball valve / I did mine when new.
No basement and that's how the majority of the houses are build here, at lease with this builder..

He's due for a new one soon, no sense it checking for sediment now. I agree on the location, ideally should be below in basement, but no basement he'd have to either put in the garage or in a closet, garage being ideal.

Attachments

• A2CCF803-3809-4237-97CA-CE1A6CF0CBCF.jpeg
    A2CCF803-3809-4237-97CA-CE1A6CF0CBCF.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 66649B59-3FFD-4D68-BBB8-FBA211D189E3.jpeg
    66649B59-3FFD-4D68-BBB8-FBA211D189E3.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 8
Back