Thoughts on tankless water heaters

I just bought a suburban 60k btu propane RV tankless & it has brass water tubes/stainless burner but it says to use vinegar.
I’m waiting for any sign that it needs it the gallons per minute as of 30 minutes ago when the screams reminding me I temporarily turned it to 140 was 4.4 with an inlet temp of 48. And turned down to 130 is 5.3 g/m 199k btu I do know about scale with a electric humidifier 15a 220v
IMG_2173.jpeg
IMG_2172.jpeg

Then how is one to "flush it out" with out a pump?
Cold into the hot outlet and out the cold inlet.With pex valves it’s super easy and cheap. There is two drains for condensation so it’s messy but zero problems from 2017
IMG_2170.jpeg
IMG_2171.jpeg

IFlushing a tankless water heater backwards with cold water does absolutely nothing. This isn’t a heater core.

The calcium scale buildup needs an acidic agent to be dissolved, like a vinegar solution or a specific cleaning product.y
You’re right. With the anti scale filters what I worry about is what gets past the filters and builds up.Honestly i have always used a descaling system,but after 7 yrs I might run a solution through it.

You’re right. With the anti scale filters what I worry about is what gets past the filters and builds up.Honestly i have always used a descaling system,but after 7 yrs I might run a solution through it.
You should. The every year cleaning schedule assumes no water treatment, filters and hard water. If you installed a filter or a water softener then the cleaning schedule can be extended, but it still needs to be cleaner periodically.

The danger of vinegar (acetic acid) is it will leach lead. No brass for plumbing use in the US has any lead anymore, unless in California. ;)

Soft water is the answer to keeping water heaters clean and long lived. My well water is around 440 ppm from the limestone it passes though below me. pH is around 7.4 so slightly alkaline. With a good dose of iron from a local meteorite though.

Water heater tank never has any sediment when I drain a bit. No anode rod used. Last about 20-25 years. I go though more water softeners than water heaters.

3rd world countries have been using tankless water heaters for well over 5 decades now. In the USA with our larger homes and more luxury living we had and can afford heaters with tanks, mostly maintenance free, thoughtless, easy hot water.
Then came the green energy agenda ... (no politics)

3rd world countries have been using tankless water heaters for well over 5 decades now. In the USA with our larger homes and more luxury living we had and can afford heaters with tanks, mostly maintenance free, thoughtless, easy hot water.
Then came the green energy agenda ... (no politics)

There is quite a bit of a difference though. Most other countries use small “point of use” electric on demand heaters that are installed at a particular faucet. It’s not just third world countries. They are used in Europe and Asia.
The main reason is old housing with antiquated water heating systems that cannot be easily and inexpensively be retrofitted. So these small on demand water heaters make sense.

Those are quite different than the big, whole house units that are being discussed here and they have not been used for five decades.

There is quite a bit of a difference though. Most other countries use small “point of use” electric on demand heaters that are installed at a particular faucet. It’s not just third world countries. They are used in Europe and Asia.
The main reason is old housing with antiquated water heating systems that cannot be easily and inexpensively be retrofitted. So these small on demand water heaters make sense.

Those are quite different than the big, whole house units that are being discussed here and they have not been used for five decades.
Not so sure how much of this is accurate, safe to say that Europe started to recognize these in the 1950s and not because of antiquated water systems and they certainly what not all "point of sevice heaters"
Also even in this article of the claim that tankless is more efficient is not 100% true. It's so close depending on application that even the US Dept of Energy is not claiming in all cases they are more efficient.
FYI I have nothing against them, heck my new home has one but I would be more than glad to have a tank again. It's kind of funny but here in the coastal Carolina's there is a HUGE more upscale community being built and using gas tank water heaters. It's almost a luxury item now, instead of a hot water tankless box bolted to the sides of the homes in so many new communities..

Last edited:
Not so sure how much of this is accurate, safe to say that Europe started to recognize these in the 1950s and not because of antiquated water systems and they certainly what not all "point of sevice heaters"
Also even in this article of the claim that tankless is more efficient is not 100% true. It's so close depending on application that even the US Dept of Energy is not claiming in all cases they are more efficient.
FYI I have nothing against them, heck my new home has one but I would be more than glad to have a tank again. It's kind of funny but here in the coastal Carolina's there is a HUGE more upscale community being built and using gas tank water heaters. It's almost a luxury item now, instead of a hot water tankless box bolted to the sides of the homes in so many new communities..

I lived in Europe for almost 20 years and still go there to visit on regular basis. I don’t need an article to tell me what my eyes can see.

Do you know how most of the houses and apartments are heated in Europe? It is water radiators that hang below the windows. That water is heated by a furnace, it used to be coal fired, but now it’s propane or natural gas.
That water is also used for showers, hand washing, dishes etc.
During winter hot water is simply a byproduct of heating your house.
The problem is that during summer, you don’t want to run the furnace just to get hot water. That’s where the small, point of use heaters come in.

In US, homes use forced air to heat and cool, that’s why we need separate water heaters.
A lot of new homes being built in Europe also implement forced air, so naturally they also need a separate hot water source.

But there is still a lot of old buildings and houses that use radiators.

i was told back when Lake Michigan water was the norm I was told dirt and deposits were the number one cause of malfunctioning heaters.But after 7 yrs of brown horrible water I acknowledge the need to descale units,after clearing the solution and process with the makes tech dept. He’s right it’s not a heater core,there’s flow switches and sensors to be aware of. This is why scale seems like a secondary problem.
IMG_0984.jpeg
63579860924__A27E5A2E-72F9-404D-860F-EDFDCFE227E6.jpeg
IMG_0976.jpeg

Last edited:
Back