gas or electric water heater

15 years ago i put in a NG tankless water heater into the home i was living in. have since moved and its a rental now. in the last couple of years i have had some little issues with the tankless that i resolved my self.

i think the tankless is on its last legs and since it a rental want to convert it back to a tank just for reliability . so the house is odd in that it originally had an electric and some where along the way the previous owners converted it to NG by installing a direct vent . this is in the garage . i know this because the power box for the electric is still on the wall and hot if i flip the breaker .

so just for the sake of reliability , would you take a electric or NG water heater? i lean towards an electric because i have never had to service one , just replace them when they leak. and since its a rental the energy cost don't concern me.

which one would you choose

It's not a difficult or expensive task to replace the heating coils, and if they get crudded up badly enough, they burn out, requiring a replacement.
They are if they are full od deposits and is hard to remove...been there done that..

I like gas......You get instant heat when the burners lite....Electric is slower and the heat coils get crudded up with deposits and reduce the heating ability over time...
we have real good water . never seen a crudded up heating element in any electric i have replaced . i tend to take them out and keep them as spares . LOL

we have real good water . never seen a crudded up heating element in any electric i have replaced . i tend to take them out and keep them as spares . LOL
We dont the water is pretty hard...Your lucky..

15 years ago i put in a NG tankless water heater into the home i was living in. have since moved and its a rental now. in the last couple of years i have had some little issues with the tankless that i resolved my self.

i think the tankless is on its last legs and since it a rental want to convert it back to a tank just for reliability . so the house is odd in that it originally had an electric and some where along the way the previous owners converted it to NG by installing a direct vent . this is in the garage . i know this because the power box for the electric is still on the wall and hot if i flip the breaker .

so just for the sake of reliability , would you take a electric or NG water heater? i lean towards an electric because i have never had to service one , just replace them when they leak. and since its a rental the energy cost don't concern me.

which one would you choose
High efficiency gas as the cost difference is negligible. Or new tankless. It's not like you going to get more than 15 yrs out of a new HWH anyways.

Gas, hands down.
If you are worried about reliability you need to keep it simple. I have never had to repair any of the simple gas water heaters that I have ever owned.

Hybrid Water Heater uses a heat pump most of the time. Cuts electricity use by about 75%. No gas. USA is slowly making the moves to all electricity in the future. There were only about 200 reviews when I got mine nearly 5 years ago (now 2550+). Already paid for itself including a Federal Tax Credit which is dollar for dollar plus any local energy rebates. I originally wanted a tankless water heater.

For my home, Hybrid only. Get a 110 version to free up a 220 circuit for a electric car charger.

For rental, get something cheap and replace the anode rod with a good one right away.

Rod

I'd go gas, maybe you're lucky enough to live in an area with soft water, but hard water absolutely destroys electric units in short order.

The fix for electric units and hard water is a "low watt density" heating element. Home Depot used to sell one they called a "limelife" heating element.

Back