Tank Water heater in the attic.

The supply ducts are located below the floor and above the ceiling in my new house (all the registers are in the floor). And the return duct is in a chase from the top floor to the bottom floor.

It requires a little more skill to design and install this than it does to throw some flex duct up in an attic....
Below the floor is not an option on a house built on a slab . Most here are . I guess that would take a lot of skill ...

Below the floor is not an option on a house built on a slab . Most here are . I guess that would take a lot of skill ...

If it's a 2-story on a slab, then you can run them between the floors. I lived in a house like that.

None of the houses around here I've seen with HVAC equipment or ducts (in the attic) actually needed to have them there except that it made the install easier and cheaper.

And I know that in some places they do in fact put the ductwork in the slab, though I'm not sure that's any better than putting it in the attic.

So, I would be scared chitless applying that much torque to it. I've had some really important bolts shear off before that caused me hours of grief. I too have some decent tools and my 1/2 impact has a 650 ft/lb rating... But yours sounds like a monster!
I have many water heaters and each time they fail, they cost me anywhere from $600-$1000 to replace, basically the cost of the water heater, labor and parts. I figured if it blew up, I'd be replacing it anyway but so far none of them have blown up yet. I usually give them a blast of Kroil first. I would normally only get 6-10 years out of water heater so get 20 years on one saves you the cost of one water heater which more than covers the cost of the 2767 and I've used it on 10+ water heaters.

Last edited:
I'm in the house 4yrs now (second owner, house is 7yrs old) and haven't done heater flush one (I know, my fault). I was calling a couple of plumbing companies and one of them told me sure, no problem - we can come out and do the flush, 225$ a piece. Second company told me that if it hasn't been serviced regularly it's better of not to touch it all. So i'm a bit confused now on what to do. It looks like average tank heater life is 10yrs so should i just get them replaced? what are yalls thoughts and experiences? What it would cost to replace them?
Why would you replace them?
They are only 7 years old.
They could last anywhere from 4 to 12 more years. I would almost bet that they will last you eight more years.
If it made you feel better and you want to do something then sure get them flushed.

Why would you replace them?
They are only 7 years old.
They could last anywhere from 4 to 12 more years.
I'm trying to figure whether having someone to come out for 500$ to do the "Flush" is even worth it. Not that I want/need to replace the heaters right now, but if I was to replace them within a couple of years would it makes sense to pay that much money for someone to come drain it. Plus the confusion I've gotten on "don't touch the thing" if it hasn't been serviced regularly.

So where are the ducts ?
I'm sure they're in the attic. Most of the houses here in FL are built that way too, even if the water heater/AC unit is in the garage. Most, if not all are built on slab and the ductwork is in the attic.

One thing I did NOT expect is for that water heater to be gas fired. If I lived in Texas, and my water heater was in the attic, it would be an electric HEAT PUMP heater! The heat is free, so most units use about $192 a YEAR in electricity costs. That is completely off the low end of the scale on the Energy Star Guide.
Only thing you need to watch is that they are typically a little taller for their capacity, might not fit in an attic installation.

I'm trying to figure whether having someone to come out for 500$ to do the "Flush" is even worth it. Not that I want/need to replace the heaters right now, but if I was to replace them within a couple of years would it makes sense to pay that much money for someone to come drain it. Plus the confusion I've gotten on "don't touch the thing" if it hasn't been serviced regularly.
Yes I certainly understand because I am a bit of a maintenance freak and if there’s one thing that gets ignored it’s the water heater.
The quality of your heater looks better than the one that my builder supplied and mine lasted a solid 12 years with no maintenance.
Personally based on the marketing about sediment reduction that is stuck on your water heaters with the photos you supplied I think at this point I would probably just leave it alone. It’s really a personal decision.

Like I told you, change the anode rod. Call a few plumbers and ask them. Get the anode rod I mentioned earlier, the ones they bring may be thinner or shorter or segmented and not last as long. All they have to do is disconnect the hot and cold, drain some of the hot water and tip the tank over to put in the new anode rod if there's not enough ceiling height.

I'm in the house 4yrs now (second owner, house is 7yrs old) and haven't done heater flush one (I know, my fault). I was calling a couple of plumbing companies and one of them told me sure, no problem - we can come out and do the flush, 225$ a piece. Second company told me that if it hasn't been serviced regularly it's better of not to touch it all. So i'm a bit confused now on what to do. It looks like average tank heater life is 10yrs so should i just get them replaced? what are yalls thoughts and experiences? What it would cost to replace them?
Why no do it yourself? It's really easy but takes time. It probably won't be too bad.

Last edited:
Not really. Putting any HVAC equipment or ducts in the attic is an energy waste. It probably shortens the lifespan of the equipment, too.
Texas soils are generally not conducive to basements so everything is on a slab. With slab-on-grade construction mechanicals typically go in the attic. Water heaters it just depends.

Builders have gotten better over the last decade or so which means the attic is just as likely to have a radiant barrier to help reduce the amount of heat during the summer.

Back