Tactile feel—does it matter to you?

Hondas have been pretty good in my experience. I love the way their manual transmissions feel, and the buttons are always pretty good. On the newer cars they are going back to buttons and knobs for a lot of the infotainment over touch screens. If I had to buy a new car tomorrow, I'd probably get an Accord or new Civic Si or Type R.
Yes, I would say that our '07 Honda has good switchgear, no looseness or play. Even after 17 years, nothing has broke and all the switches work properly.

I really like all aspects of my 2007 E92, switches and levers, really. I love how the turn signals and wiper controls, and cruise for that matter, have no detents.

Now that I've gotten through the Toyota master power window switch job, here are some insights. The Toyota simply doesn't feel like the BMW, but I still want it to work as designed. As I go around the 18.5 yo car, many of the switches don't work well anymore (mirror controls, pass power door lock, etc.)

I had more than one aftermarket part, none worked. I thought I was done ($626? Amayama here I come?).

Then I got a bright idea. I absolutely need my original circuit board, but, what if I were to separate the buttons from the circuit board? Use new buttons from the aftermarket, on the old rest of the switch housing containing the circuit board, which plugs into the car?

It worked. So I'm out $24, which is just fine. AND, now I can see, the OE Toyota is "NOT" the same as the aftermarket. It does seem to be a little better, but not $600+ better. And the main goal was to have auto up, up, auto down, down, all working for the front passenger side, as that window is in fact used a lot from the driver seat. At the end of the day, the Toyota feel just isn't like the BMW feel on these switches. It's not just the windows but virtually all.....and this is a flagship car, yet it has the same switch setup as a Corolla. I do understand many don't care, and some do. I do....

Here is the broken piece--the button rotates on it, one on each side--consistent with what broke on the BMW as well (guess it's time/plastic aging)

IMG_2906.jpeg

Toyota original has 4 gold contacts, unlike the aftermarket, so I reused it

IMG_2754.jpeg

Aftermarket buttons used, not the silicone insert which a ma thingy

IMG_2905.jpeg

The original Toyota circuit board, not exactly the same as aftermarket but similar

IMG_2904.jpeg

checking functionality without trim

IMG_2878.jpeg

end product working. Worth $24 to get the pass side working as it should again (all auto, all manual--tendency for one or other when worn). If you notice, the color is black, not gray, I'm good with it.

IMG_2793.jpeg

I don't like the bmw turn stalks because they return to center when you're blinking to one side. I'm used to feeling which direction I'm blinking based on the position of the stalk which doesn't work with BMW
They do have excellent feel. I hate mushy buttons/dials

I don't like the bmw turn stalks because they return to center when you're blinking to one side. I'm used to feeling which direction I'm blinking based on the position of the stalk which doesn't work with BMW
They do have excellent feel. I hate mushy buttons/dials
Exactly what I like, no detent.

To be fair, it’s totally possible to not know what speed/mode the wipers are in, but I still like it.

With turn signals, there are less possibilities than with the wipers.

Cruise control that is always on: PRICELESS.

And different than my Maxima—when clutch depressed, cruise temporarily off, then resumes when clutch released. With the maxima, cruise disengaged when clutch depressed.

My new window switches on the Toyota, feel way better than before. Not quite the same as the BMW. I have to say the GM is a tad better than Toyota, for windows and locks.

Exactly what I like, no detent.

To be fair, it’s totally possible to not know what speed/mode the wipers are in, but I still like it.

With turn signals, there are less possibilities than with the wipers.

Cruise control that is always on: PRICELESS.

And different than my Maxima—when clutch depressed, cruise temporarily off, then resumes when clutch released. With the maxima, cruise disengaged when clutch depressed.

My new window switches on the Toyota, feel way better than before. Not quite the same as the BMW. I have to say the GM is a tad better than Toyota, for windows and locks.
Had to say that's an awesome fix you did on the toyota window switches! Just swapped over the aftermarket plastic switch actuators (since the silicone is what makes contact/switch with the circuit board) and boom! done.. sounds like after 18+ years the plastic just gave up. Anyway had to send you congrats on an awesome and cheap fix! If that ever happens with my Scion I'll definitely get an aftermarket switch and re-use the Toyota board!

I did look up what those window switches are priced at after your post.. dannnggg!! you're not kidding, ridiculous for a switch!

Had to say that's an awesome fix you did on the toyota window switches! Just swapped over the aftermarket plastic switch actuators (since the silicone is what makes contact/switch with the circuit board) and boom! done.. sounds like after 18+ years the plastic just gave up. Anyway had to send you congrats on an awesome and cheap fix! If that ever happens with my Scion I'll definitely get an aftermarket switch and re-use the Toyota board!

I did look up what those window switches are priced at after your post.. dannnggg!! you're not kidding, ridiculous for a switch!
Thanks, yeah now I realize ok maybe $23 isn’t same as OE….so I’m glad I didn’t throw away the BMW switch even though aftermarket feels really nice. The breaking of both cars and similarly where the switch rocks and attaches (2006 and 2007) now tells me there’s something to plastic “expiring.”

Back