Tacoma V-6 Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what would be a good oil for my 2015 Tacoma, which specs 5W-30 and 5k OCI's. Driving is mixed. Some very long transcontinental trips possible.

I am considering the following:

Mobil-1 5W-30
Mobil-1 0W-30 AFE
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30
PYB 5W30.

PYB seems reasonable given the short OCIs, but I worry about cold weather start-ups.

I am more concerned about wear than I am about mileage. PUP is available in my area.

As I get out of the warranty period, I'll probably do longer OCIs. Toyota seems to go back and forth between 5k and 10k OCIs on Tacomas. I tend to stick with one oil, so I want to pick one early on.

I have an '05 Tacoma, 4.0 V6. I used 5W/30 Mobil 1 vanilla for the first 50k or so. I have been using 0W/30 AFE for the last 50k miles. A little over 100k, on 5k oil changes, more because it tows almost all the time, not because Toyota said so. It has never used any measurable amount of oil between changes. And starts down to -20F have been uneventful. So, those 2 work very well in this motor.

Since you like to stay with 1 brand/type and like to extend OCI to longer than 5K after warranty, with those 4 choices I would stick with M1 AFE 0W30. They are available at Walmart in 5-qt jug for $26.xx everyday.

It will be tough to beat Mobil 1 EP or Pennzoil's Ultra Platinum in 5W-30. Do 5K intervals with short trips / mixed driving and extend the OCI for prolonged driving across the country.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Wondering what would be a good oil for my 2015 Tacoma, which specs 5W-30 and 5k OCI's. Driving is mixed. Some very long transcontinental trips possible.

I am considering the following:

Mobil-1 5W-30
Mobil-1 0W-30 AFE
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30
PYB 5W30.

PYB seems reasonable given the short OCIs, but I worry about cold weather start-ups.

I am more concerned about wear than I am about mileage. PUP is available in my area.

As I get out of the warranty period, I'll probably do longer OCIs. Toyota seems to go back and forth between 5k and 10k OCIs on Tacomas. I tend to stick with one oil, so I want to pick one early on.

Why don't you just use PYB until your warranty runs out and then switch to PUP for the extended OCI. I would def. take advantage of PUP since you are fortunate to have it near you!

Run some Trop Artic 5w-30 from Sam's Club @ $26 for a case of 12 bottles. Baldwin or Fleetguard filters should do you nicely.

slomo

Hello JerryBob, our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology would be the best product for your 2015 Toyota Tacoma. Specifically, the Ultra Platinum product has been shown to keep pistons up to 65% cleaner than required by the toughest industry standards (based on Sequence IIIG test results and GF-5 specifications). In addition, no other leading motor oil provides better wear protection from friction than the Pennzoil Ultra product (based on Sequence IVA wear testing). And finally - as previously mentioned - it is formulated to exceed the engine protection required by ILSAC GF-5, and is specially formulated to provide extra protection against the harmful effects of stop-and-go driving and high and low-temperature engine operation. - The Pennzoil Team

Don't listen to Gena...Use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10W-30
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Throt
Super Tech & Fram TG until warranty up.

Followed by PUP & Fram TG until death.

Done.

Exactly what I did with the same engine in my 2006 Toyota 4Runner and ran fantastic until I sold it at 200,000 miles. And that included towing my 5,000lb camper in the summer going up many hills wide open for extended time. Never a motor related issue my oil changes ranged from 5,000 miles to 9,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Toyota seems to go back and forth between 5k and 10k OCIs on Tacomas.

That puzzles me- I have a 2011 FJ Cruiser with the same V6 and they call for 10K oil changes with synthetic, but now I see newer Toyotas calling for 5k whether synthetic or conventional is used.
Puzzling.

I do 5k anyway- with one exception when we were on a 10k mile road trip.

If you want to go synthetic, why not use something cheaper since you want to stick to 5K OCIs? I just picked up Quaker State Ultimate Durability at Walmart for under $22 a 5qt jug. That's a good deal cheaper than M1. I have a 2002 Tacoma with about 180K miles on it. I've gone between M1 and PU/PP. I think I'm going to use QSUD for a while since it is cheaper. I always do 7500K OCIs.

If you are worried about cold weather start, use Pennzoil Gold 10w30 which is a syn blend with great CCS and MRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back