Tacoma V-6 Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2004 Tacoma 4x4 with the 3.4 engine. In the past I've used conventional: Kendall, Shell, Havoline, Pennzoil, Chevron, Mobil, Castrol, Citgo and Quaker State (whatever I could find on sale). For the last 30,000+ miles it has been 5w-30 Mobil 1 or 5w-30 QSUD. The truck gets slightly better gas mileage with the synthetic oil during the winter months and turns over easier (it has been hovering from 3 degrees up to 30 degrees here for several weeks). During the summer, it gets the same gas mileage no matter what oil I've used. The Quaker State Synthetic does quiet down the engine versus Mobil-1. Engine does not burn oil and I go with 4,000-5,000 mile oil changes. I would say go with any of the Synthetic's you noted. These Toyota engines seem to hold up pretty well when properly maintained and not beat on.

M1 AFE 0w-30 has exceptional cold temp performance and performs incredibly well. That would be my go-to for this app.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 AFE 0w-30 has exceptional cold temp performance and performs incredibly well. That would be my go-to for this app.

Define "incredibly well". Actually, any 0w-30 or 5w-30 name-brand synthetic would be about equal here. I've never seen any evidence otherwise, UOAs (or VOAs), or any other type. .... You must have some evidence, or some way to support your statement. Do you?

Like what GinaFishbeck, our Pennz rep has said, "no other leading motor oil provides better wear protection from friction than the Pennzoil Ultra product (based on Sequence IVA wear testing)" which is an exact statement free of any marketing trickery. Right......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails

Define "incredibly well". Actually, any 0w-30 or 5w-30 name-brand synthetic would be about equal here.

In my particular situation, 'performs incredibly well" means that its cold temp performance is noticeable up here in the GWN, but on top of that, it has the lowest consumption of any oil I've run in the Expedition. Zero observable usage for me on a typical OCI, which is 10-14,000Km. This compares to PU 5w-30, which is around 1L/10,000Km, and AMSOIL AZO 0w-30, which is 3-4L over the same OCI.

Quote:
I've never seen any evidence otherwise, UOAs (or VOAs), or any other type. .... You must have some evidence, or some way to support your statement. Do you?

Like what GinaFishbeck, our Pennz rep has said, "no other leading motor oil provides better wear protection from friction than the Pennzoil Ultra product (based on Sequence IVA wear testing)" which is an exact statement free of any marketing trickery. Right......

Without a tear-down I have no way to quality wear performance. I probably should have been more clear. It has the best cold temp performance of the bunch and in my experience, extremely low consumption. For me, that is the type of performance I am looking for
wink.gif

M1 AFE 0w-30 does have the distinction of being one of the very few 0w-30's out there. Of course, German Castrol 0w-30 is for Euro cars mostly, although one could use that anywhere I think, but digressing. M1 0w-30 is rare. If the cold cranking performance is better than all the known name-brand 5w-30's out there, then I'd say its an advantage.

In my particular situation, 'performs incredibly well" means that its cold temp performance is noticeable up here in the GWN, but on top of that, it has the lowest consumption of any oil I've run in the Expedition. Zero observable usage for me on a typical OCI, which is 10-14,000Km. This compares to PU 5w-30, which is around 1L/10,000Km, and AMSOIL AZO 0w-30, which is 3-4L over the same OCI.

Thats an amazing diff in oil consumption, zero with M1 and 3L with Amsoil, which is supposed to be their best all PAO oil. Surprising. I'm confused.

M1 AFE 0w-30 does have the distinction of being one of the very few 0w-30's out there. Of course, German Castrol 0w-30 is for Euro cars mostly, although one could use that anywhere I think, but digressing. M1 0w-30 is rare. If the cold cranking performance is better than all the known name-brand 5w-30's out there, then I'd say its an advantage.

Yeah, and GC is much heavier at operating temperatures with its HTHS of >=3.5cP. It is also a good cold temp performer though.

Without a tear-down I have no way to quality wear performance. I probably should have been more clear. It has the best cold temp performance of the bunch and in my experience, extremely low consumption. For me, that is the type of performance I am looking for
wink.gif

I was being sarcastic with the GinaFishbeck qoute, BTW. Ad qoutes like hers actually make me shake and growl like Sideshow Bob.

Thats an amazing diff in oil consumption, zero with M1 and 3L with Amsoil, which is supposed to be their best all PAO oil. Surprising. I'm confused.

Tell me about it! And of course in typical BITOG fashion I gave it a few OCI's to settle down before I condemned it for consumption. It never changed. First time I checked it and it was down 2L I almost threw-up. Wife had been driving it and I hadn't checked it in a month. That was a mistake. I stayed on top of it after that and switched back to AFE afterwards and immediately the consumption just "stopped". After that, went to PU 5w-30 and it wasn't bad, 1L in 10,000Km. It'll be back on the AFE 0w-30 as soon as the PU is used up though. Can't argue with the results.

wink.gif

I was being sarcastic with the GinaFishbeck qoute, BTW. Ad qoutes like hers actually make me shake and growl like Sideshow Bob.

Yeah, I caught that, LOL
wink.gif

It'll be back on the AFE 0w-30 as soon as the PU is used up though. Can't argue with the results.

I may have to reconsider M1 0w-30. I'm currently using Castrol Edge Extended Perf 5w-30 because titanium seemed cool, and its a "15,000 mile" oil, and they use moly, boron as well, and I 'boost' it with a half-dose of Hyperlube polymer ester because Molakule made some positive comments about polymer esters.
On M1's side, they use Infineum trinuclear moly, a better moly in smaller amounts, and your oil consumption story says they must be using low-burnoff chemistry for the piston rings, presumably where oil consumption occurs.

I'd go with Quaker State synthetic, it's $21 for a five quart jug at Walmart. Everything I've read says it's a solid oil with a high emphasis on protection. I'd chose that if I was going to be running five thousand mile change intervals...why waste money on someone more expensive? Quaker State will handle it easily at 5,000.

M1 0w-30 is rare. If the cold cranking performance is better than all the known name-brand 5w-30's out there, then I'd say its an advantage.

It had better have superior cold cranking performance than all 5w-30s, or someone is pulling labeling shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back