Synthetic Oil Test on "TRUCKS!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
What 40% Syn Blend HDEO do you use?

Allied Oil and Supply out of Omaha, NE has it blended for them and sells it just out of their locations in the Midwest. It is their Allied SynTx SB 15w40 CJ-4. They have a wide range of oils and lubes, some of which are on Eaton and other OEM's primary recommendation list. Because of that, I looked at them and started purchasing products from them a couple of years ago. A lot of fleets in the Midwest are using their products. Greg Kennedy is their VP of lubrication and will give you all the details you want and send PDF's on the products. Their pricing on most everything is very good. They are a very customer oriented company.

Originally Posted By: jonny-b
Hi.

It is very interesting to see how well indoctrinated most Americans are, when it comes to dino vs syn.

Did you ever consider the fact that a phenomena called "sludge" is almost only present in America?

In Europe, where it is normal to use TRUE synthetic(group 4 & 5), and OCI of 10-20000 miles, sludge is almost non-excistent.

I don't rule out dino, but I just can not see the benefit of using a lower quality product(in most cases), unless you want to "use up" the engine, before your car rusts away.
That seem to be a frequently used excuse for not using synthetic oil.
Personally, I would like the engine to perform as it was new, the day I deliver it at the wrecker.
Isn't it better to drive a car that performs as intended?

Besides, an engine in good shape, consumes less gas(and diesel), than a [censored] one.
But I guess you think the gas is cheap?

Am I missing something?

they don't have "sludge" in europe??.......................hmmmmmm......would they like some??

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

...Unfortunately, the boutique synthetics have a lot of layers of marketing and overhead factored into their pricing...

Actually, this is one of their proficiencies.
Their dealers constitute a large majority of their marketing, which is in stark comparison to the commercial brands who rely on pumping a sizable portion of their funds to advertisement.

Here is a little personal experience I have gathered by testing synthetic vs conventional compressor oil. I tested Amsoil ISO 100 synthetic vs Hitachi 19219 oil which was supplied for use with the compressor. The test was done with new oil on a fairly new 2hp compressor.

I drained and filled the compressor with the new Hitachi oil and ran the compressor repeatedly 3-4 times up to 120 psi to get the compressor very hot and until the amp draw stabilized at its lowest level. On a 14.5 amp compressor I obtained a reading of 14.9 amps. I drained and repeated the experiment with the Amsoil compressor oil. When hot, I obtained a reading of 14.1 amps. (actually 14-14.1, I rounded up)

I wish I had also performed a temperature test at the same time but I didn't think of it until later after I had run the test and I didn't have any more Hitachi oil left.

I believe that the compressor oils I was using did not contain any of the typical additives found in engine oils to fight friction and may have been straight oil. Perhaps a tribologist could correct me on this, it has been a while since I did the test and contacted Amsoil to find out if there were any additives in this compressor oil.

The result was a drop from 14.9 amps to 14.1 amps. Again, I wish I had performed a temperature test on the compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back