Synthetic oil, good or bad?

Hey guys,

Came across this video of a mechanic and engine builder going through a Coyote engine and they talk about sludging and issues with synthetic oils. I've seen this sort of discussion before in other videos, which is why I'm not keen on going over 5k on an OCI. I've indexed the video to where they start talking about the sludging, but it comes up a few times a bit later as well. Watch 60 seconds or the whole thing, give me your thoughts on synthetic sludging, brand switching, brand compatibility, etc.

FWIW, this is a channel I watch regularly for the entertainment value, if I/we can learn something along the way, all the better, right? :LOL:

Many, perhaps most, mechanics know absolutely nothing, or very close to it, about oil.

I'm not watching the video; I refuse to engage in the process of flagrantly monetizing misinformation for personal gain, but if he's blaming sludging on synthetic oil, he has no idea what he's talking about.

If there are specific claims made in the video, feel free to post them here to be addressed.

I could only stand to watch a few seconds. The '05 Stang was just picked up with a non-running swapped in Coyote. No history at all. He said he worked on a couple before and sludge buildup is typical and he sees it from synthetic. :rolleyes:

I could only stand to watch a few seconds. The '05 Stang was just picked up with a non-running swapped in Coyote. No history at all. He said he worked on a couple before and sludge buildup is typical and he sees it from synthetic. :rolleyes:

Yep- all this dude cares about is getting attention. Comments for the video are pretty funny though......

Many, perhaps most, mechanics know absolutely nothing, or very close to it, about oil.

Exactly right. The same applies to most engine builders.

People will dismiss ASTM testing and real world results, but believe some random village idiot on Youtube. I'm not adding to his view toll.

I'm not watching the video; I refuse to engage in the process of flagrantly monetizing misinformation for personal gain, but if he's blaming sludging on synthetic oil, he has no idea what he's talking about.

If there are specific claims made in the video, feel free to post them here to be addressed.
Worst video I never watched.

Pretty dissappointed in DEBOSS for posting that video. Figured Rich new more about oil than what that guy was talking about.

I stopped watching his video. Horrible. Some engine builder who doesnt even know how to set up the timing chains...

Thats an old sludged up engine. Nothing to do with synthetic oil. I had to replace the left valve cover on my 2002 4.6 and it was clean. Its only had synthetic oil.

Hey guys,

Came across this video of a mechanic and engine builder going through a Coyote engine and they talk about sludging and issues with synthetic oils. I've seen this sort of discussion before in other videos, which is why I'm not keen on going over 5k on an OCI. I've indexed the video to where they start talking about the sludging, but it comes up a few times a bit later as well. Watch 60 seconds or the whole thing, give me your thoughts on synthetic sludging, brand switching, brand compatibility, etc.

FWIW, this is a channel I watch regularly for the entertainment value, if I/we can learn something along the way, all the better, right? :LOL:

Yes! it's the DeBoss video.

Hey guys,

thank you!

A mix of useful information combined with frontier gibberish.

UD

This is as good as somebody on a Jeep forum saying Pennzoil causes sludge and then showing an old tired abused 4.0 with the valve cover off for proof.

Back