Synthetic oil for 350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the idea of oil analysis, so go easy...
I have a 350Z with 36K miles on the clock. I've used Mobil 1 5W-30 since about 5K miles. I change it every 3K miles along with an M1-110 filter. I use OEM air filters, and change them every 15K or so (whenever they start turning dark)
I'm interested in getting as much life out of my engine as possible... absolute performance isn't my primary concern.

After reading this forum, I've been itching to try another oil to see if I can find one that's even better (for similar $$$). I haven't done any oil analysis yet, but I plan to send in a sample of the 5w-30 after my next oil change.

My question to you:
Which oil should I put in next? I'm considering GC, Mobil 1 0W-40, or Mobil 1 10w-30. Open to other suggestions as well.
I live in Southern California, so cold weather isn't an issue. The Z is my daily driver, so it sees a lot of stop and go.

What would be the next logical oil to try as I wait for my 5w-30 analysis results?
Thanks for your input!
Mika

In approximate order of viscosity at 100&#186C (212&#186F) with a $5.00 QT budget.

Mobile 1 10W-30

Castrol Syntec (German) 0W-30

Mobile 1 10W-30 + 2 QT of 15W-50

Mobile 1 0W-40

Castrol Syntec (Belgium) 5W-40

Mobile 1 Truck & SUV or Delvac 1 5W-40

Take your choice and see what your car likes.

Gene

5W-40 Delvac 1, aka M1 5W-40 Truck & SUV. Air filters filter better when they get a little dirty, so don't replace them too often.

Gene K's choices are good ones but I'd also throw Amsoil in the mix. ASL 5w-30 in the winter/10w-30 summer. I think Amsoil does well in the Nissan V6 if I remember right. I almost bought one of them. I looked at one a few months ago. Nice car. I'd also like to see how Redline does in this engine.

I think that you have been doing a great thing already, and "itching to change" when you have no motivation to find the ultimate performance (race) of your car sounds kinda weak to me. At 36K miles, I think that you will find more satisfaction in investing your time in finding the Greatest Tires in the World, instead of messing with an already fine oil strategy.

Most of the people in on this site are just catching up to your existing oil strategy, why change?

Best Wishes as you motor along!

SWS

3k with Motorcraft 5w-30 or Havoline. If you want to go 40wt in SoCal, try mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40. It is the only 15w-40 that does not bog down my engine and it's $1.75/q. Feels smooth, just like the high-end synthetics I used before. Short change intervals with cheaper oil is better than long intervals on expensive oil, imo. Cheap does not mean bad quality, just use a newer formula dino oil. One thing I guarantee is the Delvac is better than that 30wt Mobil 1, esp in your climate and car.

I think what you already using is fine. Maybe the mobil 1 10W30 would give a peace of mind in hot weather.

We need to work on getting you to extend those oil change intervals, as 3k oil changes with synthetic are way overkill. Do a UOA and you'll find that the oil is nowhere near used up at this point, and find your comfort zone. Even if you only stretch it out to 5k, at least you're getting more value for your money. It looks like you've put on a lot of miles in a short time too, so that makes it all the more reason not to change the oil so often.

Changing the oil every month or 6 weeks is too much wear and tear on the drain hole and oil filter fitting.
Use a thin synthetic or blend on a new engine and use a 5000 or 6000 mile OCI.
Joe

I agree with the others. The only thing needed here is extend the interval. You should be changing at the minimum with Mobil 1, 6 months, 6000 miles.

Oh and
welcome.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 9300Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 91400 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

See the wear numbers in the UOA section on the Auto-X 300ZX with 25 hours including lots of idle, 4 events, and 1.3% Fuel Dilution.

That was sure some impressive results from a Dino... Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40.

Gene

With 3k OCI, I'd stick with the synth but dump the high end filter. Any Wix(napa/carquest) or Purolator(proline) will do. There might also be an oversized filter option if you have the room for it.

A too frequent OCI is not too much wear for anything. But, there is no reason not to extend the OCI a little.
Frequent oil changes never killed an engine.

Torco makes a 10w40 SR1 that might be good. The 10w30 SR1 is also on the thick side.
The other Mobil1/Castrol choices are also good.

I have tried Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula for 5K miles.. didn't do UOA. But it seems to work fine. Currently running Valvoline 5W-30 Durablend that the dealer put in. Seems to thin out quite a bit. and no difference in MPG compared to 0W-40.
I'll try Mobil 1 5W-40 (Truck&SUV, or as i call it, Para-Delvac 1) at next oil change.

Patman: "We need to work on getting you to extend those oil change intervals, as 3k oil changes with synthetic are way overkill. Do a UOA and you'll find that the oil is nowhere near used up at this point, and find your comfort zone."

And Bingo was his name-o.
grin.gif

But if you insist on such short intervals, use an oil which doesn't cost so much.

I'd switch over to Schaeffer Supreme 7000 synthetic blend 10W30. This will give you one of the lowest wear rates possible with drain intervals of 4,000 or fewer miles (because of the additive package) and costs only $3 per quart.

It's not a fake blend like so many others out there. It's a real PAO blend ... about 20%.
smile.gif

I'm running this in my Sentra SpecV and will have a UOA at the beginning of next month.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back