Synthétic for Hybrid Engine. 0-20 or 5-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got myself a 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid. First oil change I went with Motomaster Synthetic 5w-20. Because of the constant start stop I was leaning towards a 0w-20 to insure maximum protection and flow. What do others think

Yes, you are on the right track. I would go with any of the name brand 0w20's...PP 0w20, M1 0w20, QSUD 0w20, Synpower 0w20, and IMO one of the best, TGMO 0w20.

Printed on the front of Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 bottle:

SPECIALLY FORMULATED FOR MODERN FUEL EFFICIENT VEHICLES, INCLUDING HYBRIDS*

Earlier this year, or it might have been late last year, a BITOG member who is knowledgeable in full synthetic oils, Caterham, he commented that Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W20 was developed through Exxon Mobil, especially for Toyota hybrid cars, the Prius product line.

You're not hurting your new Kia hybrid car by running Motomaster 5W20, as a matter of fact, it may be argued that it's more beneficial to use for a brand new car, oil that is chemically "dino" (minimum to no PAOs and esters), as you are doing. As long as your owner manual says it's OK, I see no problem with 5W20 at this time. The Honda 0W20 is labeled synthetic blend, for example. But yes, TGMO 0W20 is fully synthetic, and probably PP 0W20 also. They're all excellent oil products that were produced in anticipation of the coming forth of new automotive technology. Use with confidence.

I had a 2003 Civic Hybrid for seven years. At the time 0W20 was hard to find so I used 5W20. I sold the car with almost 300000 km on it. I changed the oil every 5000 km and the engine purred when I sold it and did not use a drop of oil. I used dino exclusively back then.

Originally Posted By: ht_addict
Because of the constant start stop I was leaning towards a 0w-20 to insure maximum protection and flow. What do others think

How do you figure that ?

For what it's worth I've used TGMO 0W-20 and M1 AFE 0W-20 in my Prius. I also have some 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum in my stash that I could use. I would recommend any of them for your Optima. The Prius engine seems to be pretty easy on oil (as opposed to my Honda VCM)and could go 10K before an oil change.
Not sure what the Kia recommends but just keep to the maintenance schedule and you should be fine.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Because of the constant start stop I was leaning towards a 0w-20 to insure maximum protection and flow. What do others think

How do you figure that ?

Figure what?

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
For what it's worth I've used TGMO 0W-20 and M1 AFE 0W-20 in my Prius. I also have some 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum in my stash that I could use. I would recommend any of them for your Optima. The Prius engine seems to be pretty easy on oil (as opposed to my Honda VCM)and could go 10K before an oil change.
Not sure what the Kia recommends but just keep to the maintenance schedule and you should be fine.
smile.gif

Picked up a Quaker State 0w-20 when it was on sale, so I'll give it a shot and leave the Motomaster for my GF Soul. Manual recommends 8000km between intervals

How do you figure that the 0W-20 will ensure greater flow and protection ?

Maybe a gnat's hair difference first start of the day, after that, there's nothing really in terms of flow, or protection.

Maybe a gnat's hair difference first start of the day, after that, there's nothing really in terms of flow, or protection.

A lot of us suspect the 0W is a higher quality oil because of its lower temp flow properties.

OK?

For all practical purposes, 0-20 and 5W-20 often have the same real world viscosity. In fact, there are 0W-20's that have the exact same specifications.

Still, as mentioned above, many suspect the 0w to be a higher quality oil.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

A lot of us suspect the 0W is a higher quality oil because of its lower temp flow properties.

OK?

How a BITOG "fact" is born.

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
smile.gif

Picked up a Quaker State 0w-20 when it was on sale, so I'll give it a shot and leave the Motomaster for my GF Soul. Manual recommends 8000km between intervals

That's what I'm going to put in my mom's Mercury hybrid. Of course, it was basically free with the engine warranty rebate.
laugh.gif

But I don't think it makes much difference whether you use 5W-20 or 0W-20. The manual states you can use the Ford syn blend 5W-20 for her car, but the previous owners always used synthetic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back