Synthetic ATF, Redline, AMSoil, or M1 - 98 volvo s70t5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well the manual states that the volvo s70t5 requires mercon III, and i believe all of the following fluids are acceptable:

m1 synthetic ATF
AMSoil universal synthetic ATF
Redline synthetic ATF

Car has 67k miles and original fluid. I plan on flushing old fluid out, tranny cooler line, and using some regular dino oil for a couple hundred miles, then flushing with a synthetic, one of the ones listed above.

Is this a good procedure, there is no tranny filter??

Does it really matter what brand I use??? Synthetics are superior either way, and I knwo these companies are all reputable, any advantages disadvantages??

Thanks again,
Smith

Next time I would not wait 67k miles, especially if you are correct that your vehicle has no transmission filter.

I would use the Mobil-1 ATF as it is readily available and reasonably priced.

John

Alright thanks for the suggestion, and yes I see it a lot of places.

Yeah I wished I hadn't waited for so long, but maintaining 4 cars, one that doesn't run, one that is being restored, doesn't leave a lot of time for other stuff such as this.
dunno.gif
pat.gif

Thanks,
Smith
gr_stretch.gif

I have an 1999 S70 T5 and exchanged the fluid the way you plan to. This method is fine. Right now I'm running Chevron Dex III with Lubegard. I couldn't be happier. This AW tranny is not hard on oil (the P&P switch is a different story). Volvo says their fill is a lifetime fill. I figure if I flush it every 30-30 K miles I'll be just fine. At 30K miles, my fluid still looks new.

hey HEV,

you flushed the fluid out using the cooler line like i plan to, or you are switching over to synthetic like i plan to??? i figure just the flushing process since you're using chevron dexron III. I'm a noob, whats lubegard?? or is it part of the chevvron stuff??

why did you go to synthetic??

smith

I drain and refill the transmission sump, about 3 quarts, then flush the remaining 9 quarts through the upper cooler line. It is smart to install a Magnefine or SPX Filtran in-line filter in that line after you're done.

I also prefer a synthetic ATF. There is no need to use the Lubegard ATF supplement.

Ken

I flushed my 97 960 a few months back and glad I did. I bought the car with 66K on it and the owner followed the book thinking the Auto tranny had a life time fill. Well what came out 67K miles was not nice looking. The dealer did the flush using a BG flushing machine. The system uses the transmissions own pump to exchange the fluid. The so called machine is basically a reservoir for the new and used fluid. I filled the transmission with Redline D4ATF as well as dropped and cleaned the pan and changed out the filter. Since doing it I plan on doing just a pan drop and filter change at 30K. At 60K I'm going to do the pan, filter, and a flush at 60K from now on.
Volvo's all benefit from the use of synthetic ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back