Synth advice requested for Toyota FJ Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4K mi on a new Toyota FJ Cruiser, 4WD, MT. I am looking to switch the engine Dino to Synthetic and am considering Amsoil 0W-30 SSO, 5W-30 ASL, 10W-30 ATM or Redline 5W-30. Regardless of the issue of OCI or cost, does anyone have an informed opinion/advice on these oils for this particlar engine? Truck runs primarily in So. Cal region with occasional trips to mts & desert. Thanks.

Don't need syn oil for the recommended 5,000 mile oil changes. Why pay more for the oil doesn't protect any better unless you do 10,000+ mile oil changes.

Sorry to have posted this in the wrong section. Having read lots of info on characeristics of dino & synth oils, and having listened to many opinions (biased or not) I have decided synth will take better care of my engine.

Originally Posted By: Peromyscus
Sorry to have posted this in the wrong section. Having read lots of info on characeristics of dino & synth oils, and having listened to many opinions (biased or not) I have decided synth will take better care of my engine.
How so?

There's no doubt that synthetic is a better oil, but it is unlikely that you will reap the benefits from the oil under your operating conditions.

Anyway, there's no conclusive evidence that one of your listed choices will perform better than the others in your engine.

I would expect to use extended drain intervals, longer than typically used for dino, but not as long as suggested by synth manufacturer. I am also under the impression that wear characteristics, volatility, etc are better with synth.

I would expect to use extended drain intervals, longer than typically used for dino, but not as long as suggested by synth manufacturer. I am also under the impression that wear characteristics, volatility, etc are better with synth.

Warranty issues can arise with not following the recommended service interval. It is simply easier to follow the recommended interval while the vehicle is still under warranty.

Synthetic does provide benefits while racing or in areas with very, very cold ambient temperatures. GM uses Mobil 1 in the Corvette and certain other models due to the ability to eliminate the oil cooler or because it was needed for correct VVT operation in certain engines. Drain intervals were not the reason. Drain intervals do not necessarily increase with the usage of synthetic oil due to fuel dilution, condensation, etc.

Synthetic does provide benefits while racing or in areas with very, very cold ambient temperatures. GM uses Mobil 1 in the Corvette and certain other models due to the ability to eliminate the oil cooler or because it was needed for correct VVT operation in certain engines. Drain intervals were not the reason. Drain intervals do not necessarily increase with the usage of synthetic oil due to fuel dilution, condensation, etc.

So you're saying that unless my engine is run hard enough to challenge the integrity of dino, or unless I live in cold weather areas, there is no point to running synth?

So you're saying that unless my engine is run hard enough to challenge the integrity of dino, or unless I live in cold weather areas, there is no point to running synth?

Correct.

Hang on - if you are doing 5K with dino you are pushing it. Say you go 100,000 miles+, I tell you - you will have more ring build up, more oil degradation by-products from conventional oil than from synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Hang on - if you are doing 5K with dino you are pushing it. Say you go 100,000 miles+, I tell you - you will have more ring build up, more oil degradation by-products from conventional oil than from synthetic oil.

Maybe. Even then, it's questionable as to whether the differences will be noticeable to the end user.

RTS 5W40 great oil for $16 a gallon!!! If you want a 5W30 or 10W30 Mobil-1 Non-EP in 5W30 or High Milage 10W30 and PP in 5W30 or 10W30. If you want to use Amsoil use their Series 3000 5W30 it blow's the doors of their series 2000 0W30!!! Personely I think Redline and Amsoil are way to expensive for regular oil changes especialy when you talk about a Toyota since they do great on just about any oil!

Absolutely nothing wrong with going for syn. The pure economics of the situation hav e been highlighted by some, but if the value proposition is right to you, then why not? After you get out of arranty, you really ought to stretch it out... 10k miles would likely be OK (back it up by UOA).

M1 is hard to beat with most toyota engines. IIRC, Amsoil SSO is a popular one with toyota truck engines.

JMH

Compared to the price of a full tank of fuel (for example) the cost of synthetic oil is just not that crazy anymore.

It's still another $30 that you don't have to spend. I'd rather invest it in something else.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
RTS 5W40 great oil for $16 a gallon!!! If you want a 5W30 or 10W30 Mobil-1 Non-EP in 5W30 or High Milage 10W30 and PP in 5W30 or 10W30. If you want to use Amsoil use their Series 3000 5W30 it blow's the doors of their series 2000 0W30!!! Personely I think Redline and Amsoil are way to expensive for regular oil changes especialy when you talk about a Toyota since they do great on just about any oil!

How so when Amsoil costs less than Mobil 1?

With Auto-Zone's recent sale pricing on 5 Qts. PP and a Fram TG filter for $19.99 using Synthetic Oil in my 08 Jeep was a no brainer for me. Now Pep-Boys is running the same deal with a Pure One filter for $22.95, still a pretty good deal.

Jeep is calling for 6,000 mile OCI or 6 months, so following the manf's suggested intervals shouldn't be a problem, and I am more comfortable running the PP than conventional oil. These sales made if a lot easier for me to decide.

JMO,
Frank D

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Compared to the price of a full tank of fuel (for example) the cost of synthetic oil is just not that crazy anymore.

It's still another $30 that you don't have to spend. I'd rather invest it in something else.

Makes me think of what my friend's dad said one time when I told him I only use premium gas, "That's horrible, oh man, horrible!" I think he was offended!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back