Syntetic oil damages certain engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
well been running amsoil for almost 15k and gona go back to regular oil and change it every 3k after talking to our honda guy. as far as he said that seeing numerous J series engines needing rebuilt after ppl ran synthetic oil. this guy does a lot of work building honda J series engines so he knows what he is talking about. i trust him so im gona go back to regular oil. so gona have to find good conventional oil.

unfortunately this kinda damage to cylinder walls cant be tested in UOA.

What laboratory equipment has he used to come to this conclusion?

Bet he adds NOS stickers to the windows for an extra 100hp too!

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I wouldn't trust him.

+1

Synthetic oil is bad for engines? Why? The reason he is probably rebuilding them is that they had a major problem they were trying to "fix" by running a synthetic oil, and it just kept getting worse. Probably had nothing to do with the oil, ask the guy to explain to you why synthetic oil is bad for engines. Also, stick with Amsoil. If you HAVE to go conventional, Pennzoil YB is a good bet..

Me neither
grin2.gif

No ...seriously. I don't care that you abandon Amsoil (that's not entirely true), but this guy can't possibly have a clue of what he's talking about. He must have some misinterpretation of some cause and effect observations that he's assigned to synthetic oils.

It has as much validity as a broken clock. The reality just happens to match the indications twice a day.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Me neither
grin2.gif

No ...seriously. I don't care that you abandon Amsoil (that's not entirely true), but this guy can't possibly have a clue of what he's talking about. He must have some misinterpretation of some cause and effect observations that he's assigned to synthetic oils.

It has as much validity as a broken clock. The reality just happens to match the indications twice a day.

Or the clock that loses a second every day.... I think that one is accurate one like, every million years or something like that.

Originally Posted By: AV6NHBP6SPD
well been running amsoil for almost 15k and gona go back to regular oil and change it every 3k after talking to our honda guy. as far as he said that seeing numerous J series engines needing rebuilt after ppl ran synthetic oil. this guy does a lot of work building honda J series engines so he knows what he is talking about. i trust him so im gona go back to regular oil. so gona have to find good conventional oil.

unfortunately this kinda damage to cylinder walls cant be tested in UOA.

This is complete nonsense. Another of the hundreds of the "appeal to authority" arguments we see time and again every year. So easy to say, "X is true, and this super mech I know who does lots of work on Y told me so. . ." Oh how convenient -- he professes to know of a secret form of damage that just never happens to show up on UOA.

So, it's either "damage" that miraculously causes no metal at all to shed from the cylinder liners, or it's damage that somehow transforms the metal from the cylinder liner into some other mysterious substance that can't be detected on UOA.

Sorry, this is utter and complete nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back