Switching Oil filters at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
Out of somewhere a "FLATFOOT, MALL COP, FLUNKY SECURITY GAURD" what ever you want to call him told my dad he cant take pictures of store merchandise. My dad kind of argued with him but he just took the oil filters and went into the auto section back of the store. He had on jeans and a tshirt with a id card hanging from his neck.

Lots of stores have that policy, but it's getting rather antiquated. With the ubiquity of cell phones with cameras these days, enforcement is a nightmare. Years ago, stores didn't want the competition coming and taking snapshots of shelves to get all the pricing information. Now, with store websites and everyone carrying a camera, the reason and the practicality of such policies have diminished.

It's unfortunate that people would bother switching a filter. I realize people can be cheap and it's natural to want to pay as little as possible for as much as possible, but I question the mindset of being so brand loyal as to steal the filter (or steal a discount at least) but not brand loyal enough to ensure that the retailer gets what he's asking.

I'm the first to complain about high Canadian filter prices. However, if I don't like the price, I'll go elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I would use fram air filter without second though, but for their oil filter, its just %^&%^&#*@^#^#*#(*#^#%^*@(!^%^#% # they pull out the sky, for marketing.

Any car guys know better not to use fram.

So you're claiming their performace claims are false?

Anyone with some basic engineering background can see it doesn't take metal end caps to make a filter element work correctly. There are many filters on the market without metal end caps, or any end caps at all.

You worry about how something looks vs how it performs ... any "real car guy" wouldn't do that.
wink.gif

You need get out BITOG forum more . Go other forum and telling those guys that fram is better , they will look at you crazy . Try ls1tech lol ,

I would use fram air filter without second though, but for their oil filter, its just %^&%^&#*@^#^#*#(*#^#%^*@(!^%^#% # they pull out the sky, for marketing.

Anyone with some basic engineering background can see it doesn't take metal end caps to make a filter element work correctly. There are many filters on the market without metal end caps, or any end caps at all.

You worry about how something looks vs how it performs ... any "real car guy" wouldn't do that.
wink.gif

You need get out BITOG forum more . Go other forum and telling those guys that fram is better , they will look at you crazy . Try ls1tech lol ,

I've been a member on LS1 for many years. Lots of guys there don't know much about what they talk about.

Lots of people don't understand oil filters very well, except that some "look better" than others. Same with air filters, as you should know by now if you were up on stuff that K&N air filters totally suck at filtering dirt.

wink.gif

I've been a member on LS1 for many years. Lots of guys there don't know much about what they talk about.

Lots of people don't understand oil filters very well, except that some "look better" than others. Same with air filters, as you should know by now if you were up on stuff that K&N air filters totally suck at filtering dirt.

That what I mean . the thing you say that you can get away here . But not fly though with other forum . Also you wrong about how those guy pick their filter . Not because of the look . Because it’s been proven and using by many engine builder . By many racer . By many owning high performing car . Wix ( Napa gold ) Mobil 1 . K&N . Now is amsoil oil filter .

Also you wrong about how those guy pick their filter . Not because of the look . Because it’s been proven and using by many engine builder . By many racer . By many owning high performing car . Wix ( Napa gold ) Mobil 1 . K&N . Now is amsoil oil filter .

Proven how, because their engine didn't "blow-up"?

Did they perform flow tests or get PSID vs flow data at a specific oil viscosity? How do they know their high volume oil pumps aren't putting those filters into bypass, especially at the drag strip when banging gears down the 1/4 mile with cold oil.

Did those guys study data about oil cleanliness and the effect on engine wear?

Lots more going on with oil filters than just how they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back