Switching Oil filters at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
...a security guard was watching us on the camera and told him he can't do that.

Glad to see he’s enforcing the no-camera policy instead of the less important no stealing policy. Gotta go for those big fish...the ones with the proof of a theft. Way to go Mal-Wart.

The jugs of oil I've purchased in the last 12 months at least, all had tamper evident seals.

I examine seals and I examine the filter inside if there is no seal. On too many occasions, I've been in a situation where I'm buying the last one ( filter or oil ) on the shelf. In my experience, it's been somewhere approaching 50% that there's an issue there...either broken seal, swapped filter, or small dent or rash on the filter body, etc. Six months ago, I bought the last Fram Ultra on the shelf in my size at a Pep Boys...naturally it had a broken seal. I remember examining it and wondering what was wrong with it but all was good.

Recently happened to me. Standing in line to buy a fram ultra for my 2.5l Altima and opened the box and it was a super-tech. They ran back and got me s new unopened box. They said it happens all.the time.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: chainblu
I don't think there's any policy about taking pictures at Walmart. I think the guy was just embarrassed that someone got away with it on his watch.

Correct

I have taken tons of pictures of oil and filters with prices at walmart an posted them here.

I have done it on several occasions and they haven't cuffed me yet Dano!
Remember this is a thug store they'd nearly need to cuff everyone!

Fishing again?

Its Walmart man what do you expect? Don't get me wrong there are some good deals to be found there but the place (depending on its location) seems to attract some pretty shady folks.
Pay attention that's all, check the boxes and caps for content and missing stuff etc.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Last year I bought some Castrol Edge EP 10w30 that was marked down to $7. Previously marked down from $28, then $21, etc. There were several jugs when it was being marked down. Then when it went to $7 and about 5 jugs remaining. Returned the next day to buy but only one jug left. Turns out there was used oil in there it seemed like. So I contacted Castrol about it who was very interested in what I reported.

They sent me vouchers/coupons for 5 free individual qts of oil. Then sent me a kit to send them a sample of what was in the jug. They analyzed it and it was in fact used. They couldn't get a viscosity reading on it because of all the water in it. I didn't want to go to the store manager about it but go to the manufacturer about the issue instead.

They wanted to know all the details, date purchased, store location, phone number for store(Walmart) etc...

Why would Castrol care if the jug was tampered with by someone and returned to Walmart? That would be a Walmart problem.

Or are you saying the jug was 100% sealed before you opened it and it seemed to have used oil in it?

You better watch them fly. It was the store detective or whatever they call them. He was wearing regular clothes but had a ID badge thing around his neck. My dad was actualy going to buy a MOBIL1 filter but was mad at what happened. He has taken pictures before in there and nothing was said. There are huge signs in the oil section now that say no returns on oil. Those were never there before.

"Store Detective", thanks for the laugh.

I read about a guy,many years ago,went too his local walmart,midwest.he noticed,the seals were open.someone,had put,their used oil in the bottles!was like 5 quarts.all 5 quarts,nasty black used oil. One time,at my local walmart,last year,october,I looked at auto section. Found a fra M tough guard filter,with,a supertec in it!

Last edited:
Studies show that more oil filters are swapped at Walmart than all other stores combines !!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: chainblu
I don't think there's any policy about taking pictures at Walmart. I think the guy was just embarrassed that someone got away with it on his watch.

He must have better things to do than run around taking pictures of an oil filter in the wrong box at a Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Thanks for the post. I guess we all know what’s going on. Two recent observations: Like Patman mentioned, the Fram Ultras have box seals to make it more of an effort to get the box open and I noticed a Canadian Tire store put the oil filters behind the parts counter so you have to ask the parts guy for a filter. Always seems to get worse.

SF

I buy my Fram Ultras from Amazon. The top of the box has a tamper evident seal. The bottom of the box does not. SMH.

The Ultra box that I have here at home has a bottom that cannot be opened without destroying the box, it's not just a flip open bottom like they have on the top of the boxes, it's actually glued shut so if you open it then it would be obvious because you couldn't close it after.

Me and my dad went to Walmart last night. My dad was looking at MOBIL1 oil filters in the size for his truck. He opened a box and there was a fram ph3600 in there with a receipt. He opened another one and there was a Proselect in there. He was going to take pictures but a security guard was watching us on the camera and told him he can't do that. He took the oil filters and went back into the back of the store. He ended up buying a Wix xp from ROCKAUTO for $3.14.

At our Wal-Mart, they just rearranged the car section and now, the oil filters/oil are in line with the automotive counter. They even removed some other items near the counter to give them direct line-of-sight to the aisle.

Originally Posted By: johnD2
I saw a guy on youtube , bragging about how he switched boxes with a Fram orange can to a K&N in walmart.
Last few K&N oil filters I've seen, between made in Mexico, S. Korea, or China, and rusting by the removal nut, I'm not sure that an Extra Guard wouldn't be an upgrade! Most common one I saw was the EG in the clear Bosch Distance Plus box-those were always good for a laugh.

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
Me and my dad went to Walmart last night. My dad was looking at MOBIL1 oil filters in the size for his truck. He opened a box and there was a fram ph3600 in there with a receipt. He opened another one and there was a Proselect in there. He was going to take pictures but a security guard was watching us on the camera and told him he can't do that. He took the oil filters and went back into the back of the store. He ended up buying a Wix xp from ROCKAUTO for $3.14.

At our Wal-Mart, they just rearranged the car section and now, the oil filters/oil are in line with the automotive counter. They even removed some other items near the counter to give them direct line-of-sight to the aisle.

They need to put a very obvious unreachable camera in the section and post a few signs near the filters. "Smile you're on camera"!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: johnD2
I saw a guy on youtube , bragging about how he switched boxes with a Fram orange can to a K&N in walmart.
Last few K&N oil filters I've seen, between made in Mexico, S. Korea, or China, and rusting by the removal nut, I'm not sure that an Extra Guard wouldn't be an upgrade! Most common one I saw was the EG in the clear Bosch Distance Plus box-those were always good for a laugh.

Obviously this guy wasn't the sharpest tool in the tool room.

I've heard that the staff monitoring the cameras are not in the store but are instead at some central monitoring location. How do you get that job and how much does it pay? Maybe it's a commission pay job. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back