Switching Oil filters at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I've heard that the staff monitoring the cameras are not in the store but are instead at some central monitoring location. How do you get that job and how much does it pay? Maybe it's a commission pay job. LOL

Quite possible, much of that sort of thing is outsourced now. Just like the fast-food restaurants outsourcing the drive-through ordering.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I've heard that the staff monitoring the cameras are not in the store but are instead at some central monitoring location. How do you get that job and how much does it pay? Maybe it's a commission pay job. LOL

Quite possible, much of that sort of thing is outsourced now. Just like the fast-food restaurants outsourcing the drive-through ordering.

LOL that just sounds like the most deficient thug apprehension you could possibly have!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
LOL that just sounds like the most deficient thug apprehension you could possibly have!

I think this is how it works:

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I take my box cutter to Walmart. If I don't need the box cutter, that means somebody has already cut the seal and did the swap.

You are lucky you haven’t been caught. The security might think you are doing the swapping.

There is no such thing as a "store detective". There is such a thing called Asset Protection. No, its not outsourced they have a room in the back of the walmart where they can see all the cameras. Sometimes they walk around in plain civilian clothing. If they catch you they will call the cops and give footage to the police. Also switching boxes is stealing its called "theft by deception".
Also no walmart has a "no camera policy", if he told me this I would have told him to shove it. Then talked to his manager about his behavior.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You are lucky you haven’t been caught. The security might think you are doing the swapping.

They can think what they want but I always inspect the filter for manufacturing defects before buying it.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
There is no such thing as a "store detective". There is such a thing called Asset Protection. No, its not outsourced they have a room in the back of the walmart where they can see all the cameras. Sometimes they walk around in plain civilian clothing. If they catch you they will call the cops and give footage to the police. Also switching boxes is stealing its called "theft by deception".
Also no walmart has a "no camera policy", if he told me this I would have told him to shove it. Then talked to his manager about his behavior.

It may be a store by store policy. The WalMart I go to often which just happens to be close to A poster here whose initials are JJ is always paging for maintenance to go to the women’s restroom at the front of the store. That happens to be their code message. They don’t chase anyone but they can get license plate numbers and descriptions. They have a no physical contact policy.

I inspect everything I buy when I am there but if the box or package is sealed properly then I should have no worries. If anything is off I just return it but I haven’t had that issue yet.

Btw, I purchase oil at WM but get my filters from the dealer.

I seen an old use fram oil filter in a new box back in 03 . Since then I always inspect make sure it’s right part number and it’s not been use .

This is an ongoing problem in Walmart and other retail stores with people switching out low cost products for premium products, Happens to FRAM, Bosch, K+N quite a bit. We are working on solutions to the problem but as I have pointed out to my handlers, many buyers want to remove the filter from the box to make sure it is the correct filter and be sure it is perfect. You wouldn't buy alot of items if you couldn't inspect it first. Open to suggestions here on how to make the box tamper proof and still be able to inspect the filter. And don't go down that "Bosch Distance" road. That clear plastic box cost 1.25$ and we know bitoger's will not pay an extra dollar for a box that is going in the trash.

Metal, How can that be if you "don't allow any Orange cans of delight anywhere near your engines" Really? Every time I come on this forum I really enjoy the serious and humorously misguided.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
This is an ongoing problem in Walmart and other retail stores with people switching out low cost products for premium products, Happens to FRAM, Bosch, K+N quite a bit. We are working on solutions to the problem but as I have pointed out to my handlers, many buyers want to remove the filter from the box to make sure it is the correct filter and be sure it is perfect. You wouldn't buy alot of items if you couldn't inspect it first. Open to suggestions here on how to make the box tamper proof and still be able to inspect the filter. And don't go down that "Bosch Distance" road. That clear plastic box cost 1.25$ and we know bitoger's will not pay an extra dollar for a box that is going in the trash.

Good to hear from you Motorking. With your statement in mind perhaps the solution is a double check by the consumer or at the register if the customer doesn’t use self check. Smart consumers will check the contents if the package is open.

I regularly check packaging when buying. If the package or box is damaged or obviously resealed with tape I choose another one. Having sealed boxes that are opened by consumers to check the product just leaves product on shelves that buyers like myself won’t touch. Maybe a tough clear shrink wrap around the filter like Denso does would be an option.

I though about this thread today.

Went to walmart pick up some oil for my dad Ford F150. Skip the oil filter since I still have bunch of those Bosh distant plus clearance at walmart. Pass by oil filter section, see anything caught my eyes, there an Fram TG box with " word NEW... " on the box, I figure what new, open it up and guess what I saw ? a white super tech oil filter. Who the heck would do something like this ? karma karma . I quick snap a picture, I leave the box open, so incase next person quick grap without realize what inside.

t4z48y.png

I can make joke about this, like that thief make wrong choice choosing fram, but this is just sad, who would do this for just few chump change , sad

Last edited:
Motorking and others
I like to see what I’m buying before I get it. The filter should be easy to inspect. There is nothing worse than having drained the oil and pulled the old filter and find the new filter is defective. Tell me it doesn’t happen. I’ve seen quite a few defective filters of all brands make it through quality control.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Thanks for the post. I guess we all know what’s going on. Two recent observations: Like Patman mentioned, the Fram Ultras have box seals to make it more of an effort to get the box open and I noticed a Canadian Tire store put the oil filters behind the parts counter so you have to ask the parts guy for a filter. Always seems to get worse.

SF

I buy my Fram Ultras from Amazon. The top of the box has a tamper evident seal. The bottom of the box does not. SMH.

Research shows thieves tend to have lower IQ’s.
Yes they do. At our Walmart 2 people (man and woman) stole a drone. Brought it back so someone could show them how to work it. They were promptly arrest.

This was my 1st time to go with my dad to Walmart and look at oil filters like he did. He was showing me how to look for changed oil filters in the fram ultra box and was looking at the m1 filters. He set it up on the disabled cart steering wheel and was going to take a picture but it kept sliding down. Out of somewhere a "FLATFOOT, MALL COP, FLUNKY SECURITY GAURD" what ever you want to call him told my dad he cant take pictures of store merchandise. My dad kind of argued with him but he just took the oil filters and went into the auto section back of the store. He had on jeans and a tshirt with a id card hanging from his neck. I dont really care if yall don't believe me. I am saying what I saw. My dad told him and told me he took pictures before with out being hassled.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat

This was my 1st time to go with my dad to Walmart and look at oil filters like he did. He was showing me how to look for changed oil filters in the fram ultra box and was looking at the m1 filters. He set it up on the disabled cart steering wheel and was going to take a picture but it kept sliding down. Out of somewhere a "FLATFOOT, MALL COP, FLUNKY SECURITY GAURD" what ever you want to call him told my dad he cant take pictures of store merchandise. My dad kind of argued with him but he just took the oil filters and went into the auto section back of the store. He had on jeans and a tshirt with a id card hanging from his neck. I dont really care if yall don't believe me. I am saying what I saw. My dad told him and told me he took pictures before with out being hassled.

Robert, don't worry about what they think. Just let it go. You and I know what happened. If they don't believe you, just let it go. It's not worth a "VACATION."
We will go to Alexandria WM and look through those filters. It's a bigger WM than my WM and I'm sure there are no "SUPPOSED STORE COPS" there.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Motorking

Thank you for chiming in
thumbsup2.gif

Wow that's crazy the clear plastic box is $1.25
crazy2.gif
I like those Gatorade cans the Fram X2 came in
happy2.gif

Couldn't you do a regular cardboard box with a clear cellophane window? Or even a small open window, like Purolator did on the old PureOne gold/yellow boxes (so you could feel the textured grip they came with at the time)

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Not until fram put metal end cap in their regular OCOD, I will never use it.

Fram, during the Frampion period, did put metal end caps on a filter with the basic orange can media rated for 5K miles and 94% efficiency @ 20 microns when Frampion manufactured Carquest brand filters for about a year and a half, between the period of Wix mfd CQ oil filters and current Purolator mfd CQ oil filters.

Have you tried one of those?

LINK 1

Even better are the Frampion CQ Blue oil filters, essentially a TG with metal end caps rated for 10K miles with 99% efficiency @ 20 microns.

LINK 2

Fram has proven they can manufacture quality oil filters with metal end caps without wire backed media for customers.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I would use fram air filter without second though, but for their oil filter, its just %^&%^&#*@^#^#*#(*#^#%^*@(!^%^#% # they pull out the sky, for marketing.

Any car guys know better not to use fram.

So you're claiming their performace claims are false?

Anyone with some basic engineering background can see it doesn't take metal end caps to make a filter element work correctly. There are many filters on the market without metal end caps, or any end caps at all.

You worry about how something looks vs how it performs ... any "real car guy" wouldn't do that.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back