Filters swapped in store!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot to post this. When I went to wally world to buy the PP 0W-20 and the Motorcraft filter. There were a bunch of opened filters- including a Fram XG, the expensive one. I looked inside and there was a FRAM extraguard in the box. I found an employee and told him and he didn't seem surprised at all. It's unbelievable.

That's a common problem unfortunately, one of the reasons the Ultras are shrink wrapped but if you broke the seal and switched probably 1 in 100 cashiers would catch it as almost all other filters just come in regular boxes.

Theft comes in all sizes. I had a buddy that worked in WW; he could tell some stories of what people did to try to take things out of there.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Theft comes in all sizes. I had a buddy that worked in WW; he could tell some stories of what people did to try to take things out of there.

Yep....retail theft is quite crazy.....

It's not uncommon to find a PC in a PS box in this neck of the woods.

I wonder why Purolator doesn't seal their PSs
21.gif

Whatever happened to security cameras? This means you can get away with anything in a Wal Mart Store? Sets a dangerous precedent. I bet Wally canned 1/2 its security staff.I remember they used to harrass a guy who would push an empty cart around for hours,thinking he was loitering (he was),but they dont pay attention to people actually "theiving" them....geez.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Forgot to post this. When I went to wally world to buy the PP 0W-20 and the Motorcraft filter. There were a bunch of opened filters- including a Fram XG, the expensive one. I looked inside and there was a FRAM extraguard in the box. I found an employee and told him and he didn't seem surprised at all. It's unbelievable.

Sorry but IME it is totally believable. My local WM is a real mess and that may be one of the reasons I will only buy sealed containers. If it's been handled excessively I pass...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Nick R

Sorry but IME it is totally believable. My local WM is a real mess and that may be one of the reasons I will only buy sealed containers. If it's been handled excessively I pass...

+1. I've not been to a wm that wasnt a mess. I totally believe it too - wm appears to draw a lower-end crowd who is likely less respectful than other stores (people of Walmart?). Sure all different folks shop everywhere, and rich people also rob Nordstrom, but it is still entirely believable.

I wonder what target's shoplifting rate/theft losses are compared to walmart.

Sealed everything seems just smart to me beyond the theft aspect, due to less contact with dirt and air.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Whatever happened to security cameras? This means you can get away with anything in a Wal Mart Store? Sets a dangerous precedent. I bet Wally canned 1/2 its security staff.I remember they used to harrass a guy who would push an empty cart around for hours,thinking he was loitering (he was),but they dont pay attention to people actually "theiving" them....geez.

You can't cover all that ground with the amount f loss prevention they give them. Most shoplifting needs to be stopped by floor associates making there presence known in there areas.
You can't harass people anymore because they got so many complaints and lawsuits you have to be 110% when doing a stop. Plus can't lose sight of the person by camera or by eye.

It's pretty sick what people do in stores. I worked for wm for 9 years from stocking shelves up to co manager of some stores. One thing I never saw was pouring expensive oil into the supertech bottles....but I bet it's been done probably via a return though

The top loss area, is, very often Cosmetics. I was surprised when I heard this. I would think it was Electronics with all the expensive stuff. Cosmetics typically come in very small containers. Easily hidden in a purse, and its gone.

Yes, people return used oil in new oil bottles. Often dont even bother to clean the spillage off the bottle other that a quick wipe down. So you can see used oil has been spilled on it leading to the obvious conclusion.
People even put orange cans in the see through Bosch containers. They know they'll get away with it, so why pay full price?

Last edited:
Walmart is a haven for that type of stuff. However they are usually at least 10% if not more, cheaper than autozone, etc, so I take the good with the bad.

I see the PH2 in the XG2 boxes all of the time. What Fram needs to do is put their filters in clear packaging like the Bosch D+, so that when you have that one orange filter amongst the sea of gold ones it's blatently obvious which one not to pick.

I spent many years in retail, it's well known despite the fact shoplifting is a huge problem, generally close to 50% of the losses typically come from employee theft.

During that stint I worked at both Walmart and Target. I saw no difference, theft was a big problem at both places. My impression was that Walmart was more vulnerable though that was many years ago.

A few years ago when my local WalMart was selling Mobil1 oil filters they were shrinked wrapped. The AAP in front of their store sold Mobil 1 oil filters in boxes that were not shrink wrapped at the same time. Sadly it tells you about some of WM's customers. I still shop oil/filters at WM but check everything I purchase to make sure it's not been switched or returned used oil. People seem to be getting worse in their brazen thefts. I work at Lowe's right across the streeet from this WM and see a lot of theft. And we're in a rural area in NW NJ.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I found this at WM recently. Used filter? Box was saturated in motor oil:

29x89ci.jpg

Yep, stumbled on that one before too. I always check filters over carefully for that reason.

Don't the people at Wamart in the return department even look at the stuff that's being returned?
crazy.gif
I mean, anyone could see that an oil soaked oil filter being returned is a scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back