Switching from Mobil 1, what should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am switching from Mobil after 30k kms's on my Honda Accord 4cyl. I like the oil but find it makes the engione overly noisy compared to even a Dino oil like Castrol GTX. I am looking for some advice on which oil to use next? I have access to Esso XD-3 Ow30, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Red Line, GC, Quaker State and Amsoil 2000 series (all synthetics). The Red Line and Amsoil are signifigantly more expensive than the others but I am willing to use them if they are worth the extra price. What oil would you use from the above list? The oil will be run for 10k kms mostly on highway. Thx in advance for the help.

Which Mobil product are you using? Is it noisy all the time or just for a few seconds after startup? What oil filter do you use? What does your UOAs reveal?

Why do you have access to only the AMSOIL 2000 series products & not the rest?

What year Honda? How many miles on the car?

Sorry bout that, I am using Mobil 1 5w30 and have tried 10w30 as well. The car is a 99 with 130k kms on the engine. The noise is noticeable when engine is hot and idling, sounds like a ticking noise in the top end (noise isn't present with load on engine). Noise is not present with Castrol GTX but haven't tried another oil. I have access to the bottom line Amsoil as well as the 2000, unfortunately here in Newfoundland it isn't easy to find oils that aren't mass produced. Filters are generally Car Quest Blue label, noise is never heard at startup so I don't think it has anything to do with the ADV. I haven't done any UOA's since I live on an island and there is nowhere remotely close to here that performs them as far as I know.

XD-3 0W30? Thats probably the best out of the list you posted, and cheapest too
wink.gif

Mobil 1 makes my Acura and Honda Element quite noisy, especially the valve-train. Redline silences it.

Hi,

I used M-1 15W-50 extensively on my Accord V6 with great results, it would be noisier than others when started up cold but then it would go away once warmed up, M-I made my engine last over 500,000+ miles so I strongly recommend that you stick to it.

A 15w50 is out of the question for my climate unfortunately, The temp ranges here are anywhere from 30 degrees C in the summer to -30 in the winter so I think I would need to stick with a 5w30 at the heaviest.

Noisier at start up might be a good thing. You want a thin oil at start up to reduce start up wear.
wink.gif

As I said above noise is not present at startup, only when engine is hot and no load. Any other time it is dead quiet, just annoying when I'm idling in traffic or something like that to hear a tick out of the engine.

...you know what you really ought to use don't you?...perfect for Newfoundland...you might be new and might not know what I usually recommend: German Castrol 0W-30...I mean you're closer to Germany than most of us
grin.gif

Been looking at GC but the stuff available to me here is the new Gold stuff. Not sure if it's as good as the old green stuff used to be. Any insight to how the new stuff is?

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
wink.gif

Listen to this great advice!
cheers.gif

I've been wondering for a while now....Is there a product in my area that's like this xd-3 0w30? I get the impression it compares to M1, but at a better price.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
wink.gif

Listen to this great advice!
cheers.gif

If you buy a case of the XD-3 and don't like it, I may buy the rest of it from you if you live close to St. John's. I've purchased a case of XD-3 0W30, but haven't had a chance to change out either of my vehicles with it yet. I've only used it for top ups so far. I'd say that I'll probably be doing changes on both my vehicles (3.9l Dakota and 3.0l Voyager) just before the winter.

There has been pretty much nothing but praise for the XD-3, and it is relatively cheap here compared to M1 or Delvac, or even Castrol for that matter.

I've used Delvac1 5W40 and XD-3 0W40 and have had no issues with cold starting or low oil pressure at any time of the year.

quote:

Originally posted by pbudgell:
... The noise is noticeable when engine is hot and idling, sounds like a ticking noise in the top end (noise isn't present with load on engine). Noise is not present with Castrol GTX but haven't tried another oil....

Two different questions:
1) Have you done a valve lash adjustment in the last 30k miles?
2) If the noise is not there with Castrol GTX.... ummmm, isn't that a solution?
dunno.gif

I'm in the process of switching from dino to synthetic after finishing an AutoRX clean and rinse. Currently 600 miles into the clean phase.

I recently bought 12 litres of Esso XD-3 Extra, 0w30, for my 95 Maxima.

Given you can get down to -30 Celsius, the XD-3 may be an ideal oil for you to try. As John D said if you buy a case and don't like it he may buy the balance from you.

Just check with the nearest Esso bulk plant. I had to have mine brought in from Edmonton as there was none in Greater Vancouver a few weeks ago.

quote:

Originally posted by drive4show:

quote:

Originally posted by pbudgell:
... The noise is noticeable when engine is hot and idling, sounds like a ticking noise in the top end (noise isn't present with load on engine). Noise is not present with Castrol GTX but haven't tried another oil....

Two different questions:
1) Have you done a valve lash adjustment in the last 30k miles?

mm, Valve adjustment may help it. it shall be part of regular service on Honda OHC engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back