Switching, Amsoil to Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I would like everyones opinion on this. I have a '02 Subaru WRX that I have been using Amsoil ATM 10w30 oil in since the 5k mark (now have 45k). Because of the price and waiting 2-3 weeks for my oil from the local dealer, I have just changed to Pennzoil 10w30. I am planning on changing this oil every 3k miles.

Was this a bad move to go from a synthetic to a crude oil?
confused.gif
Will this oil be sufficient being that this is a turbo motor. Should I go back to Amsoil.

I like Amsoil, but the cost of a oil change with Amsoil is $45 compared to $12 with Pennz. I drive 2500 per month, so I am changing oil alot.

Thank you.

don't forget that amsoil can last up to 25,000 miles w/ a filter change every 12,500 miles (w/ an amsoil filter) amsoil is a awesome oil. where are you located? i am an amsoil dealer and it only takes me 2-3 days to get oil after i order it what's your dealer's problem? you might want to look into becoming a dealer or prefered customer.

jason

Why not try Mobil 1? A full synthetic usually available at many retail locations, and doesn't involve any "club fees" or shipping costs. Wal-mart has the 5 quart jugs of M1 10W-30 for around $22 now.

I'd stay with Amsoil. I get it cheap and for Turbo's it's preferred. Oil is cheap, engines are not.
wink.gif

My orders are at the door 1 to 2 days max after I order. Can't beat that. Lancaster Pa warehouse.

[ October 11, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

As the "Western" Amsoil site sponsor for BiTOG (this site
grin.gif
) - I find it amazing that Amsoil takes that long to get to you from the Las Vegas warehouse.

Second of all your dealer seems to be charging you full retail+ .

Lastly at 2500 miles a month, you could easily go 15-20K miles on the oil, saving you some cash. That engine has good wear numbers.

I say stick with Amsoil and contact me.

The problem I have with my local dealer is that after I call him to get Oil/filter it usually takes 2-3 weeks for him to drop it off. It is a good possibility that I am paying full retail price, which sucks because I have purchases everything (air filters/oil/filter) through him.

How do I become a preferred customer? What are the benefits of this program. I think this site is awesome, and if it helps people from this site out, I will be glad to purchase my oil from you guys.

ANy help is appreciated.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
I would stick with one of the synthetics, don't use dino in your turbo motor.

Sorry, but I'm calling you out on this one...bull****.

Well, not entirely...the only dino I will run in a turbo engine is a HDEO 15w-40 (Rotella, Delo, Delvac, Long-Life)
grin.gif

...If you need some local, run over the Wal-Mart and get either Mobil1 or RotellaT-Synthetic 5w-40.

Oh, and for Pscholte...run over to AutoZone and see if you can find some German Castrol (sorry, I just have to pick on you...
cheers.gif
)

[ October 11, 2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I think that since you drive a lot in a short period of time you can just go with Mobil 1 10W-30 for 7.5-10k miles with a good oil filter. I think that mobil will do great in subaru's engine. Amsoil is a good choice, but it seems that most of the people who tried it and performed analysis on it indicate that it can't go 25k miles. I'd stick with Mobil 10W-30 - cheap, easily available, good results.

I live in LA and I can tell you Costco always has mobil 1 for $23 and change for a sixpack. Just saw 0w30w there tonight. Also you can usually get mobil 1 for close to $4 a qt at K-mart. You can easily stay w synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by OILNEWBY:

How do I become a preferred customer? What are the benefits of this program. I think this site is awesome, and if it helps people from this site out, I will be glad to purchase my oil from you guys.

ANy help is appreciated.

Thanks

Call Pablo and he will take Care of you, I'd bet that you would get your Amsoil order in 2 days max coming from LV!!

Thats the problem using local Amsoil Dealers "most are friggen idiots".

quote:

Originally posted by dipstick01:
Why doesn't Amsoil sell their products in stores? If they did, I would use there oil in everything. Ordering is a hassle.

Occasionally you do find it in stores, however retail pricing of it is through the roof, and usually a very limited selection of product. I've purchased Amsoil universal ATF at an auto parts store for $8.99 per quart! Fortunately only needed a few quarts. I've been in another store where the product was priced $9.95 a quart, whether it was gear lube, motor oil, or ATF. That's the thing, it's a fine product, but there is so much variation in price, depending on who/where you buy it from, that it's frustrating.

If you want to go dino for your WRX, I'd go with Pennzoil 15w-40 Long Life, especially since your in LA. However, if you ever head up to Lake Tahoe or something, the 15w-40 might be too thick for cold starts. Better just stick with a high quality synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Oh, and for Pscholte...run over to AutoZone and see if you can find some German Castrol (sorry, I just have to pick on you...
cheers.gif
)

Jelly,

Don't you worry, I am tough...sniff, sniff...I can...sniff...take it...sniff, sniff (sorry, must be catching a cold).
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Don't you worry, I am tough...sniff, sniff...I can...sniff...take it...sniff, sniff (sorry, must be catching a cold).
grin.gif

All in the name of fun and games.
cheers.gif

I'm just waiting for someone to give me he-double hockey sticks for my penchant towards the 5w-40/15w-40 oils.

For anyone though that has 150 quarts of one type of oil...I must
bowdown.gif

[ October 13, 2003, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
grin.gif

All in the name of fun and games.
cheers.gif

I'm just waiting for someone to give me he-double hockey sticks for my penchant towards the 5w-40/15w-40 oils.

I don't understand why anyone should feel compelled to give you a hard time for your preference. If these oils perform well for you, what would be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back