Switch to High Mileage or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck is a 2010 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. Little over 90,000 miles on it. Zero leaks or any oil consumption issues, and the dipstick always shows in the safe level at every oil change. Only issue this truck has is a slight lifter tick. Since the truck qualifies to be called high mileage, should I consider going to a high mileage FS or stick with a regular FS? The reason being is I will need to do an OC in the next 7-10 days and I recently discovered the two Wal-Mart's close to me have dropped PUP from their shelves. The options I have there are now PP High Mileage and PP and I thought before I ordered 4qts of PUP, so I can finish off what I have left, I'd ask if it would be recommended to switch.

Thanks in advance for any help! You all rock!

Right on. Thank you!

Would there be any problems mixing 3qts I have left of the PUP with 4qts of PP? Really don't want to leave 3qts of good oil sitting around if I don't have to, lol.

Thanks, again. Out of curiosity, where at is SoIL are you from? I live just across the Mississippi in the Cape Girardeau area.

Originally Posted By: Blake1107
Thanks, again. Out of curiosity, where at is SoIL are you from? I live just across the Mississippi in the Cape Girardeau area.

Seems to getting more of us from this general area.

I don't know about declaring a mileage threshold. My V8 4Runner does not burn oil between oil changes at 155K miles. I don't consider this high mileage. I consider it now broken-in and ready to go to work.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Only if necessary. It swells rubber seals so there is no going back.

Interesting. I've gone back and forth a number of times without any issues whatsoever (I'll use a high mileage oil if it's on sale when I make my purchase). I have yet to have any issues going back to regular conventional oil for the next oil change.

I agree Oneyejack. My car just passed 135k mile mark and I'm thinking it's just getting rolling
smile.gif

My truck has over 185K miles. I don't use HM oil and it runs normal, no leaks, no consumption. Right now it has penz 10w30 truck SUV syn blend in it that I found on clearance at oreillys.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Interesting. I've gone back and forth a number of times without any issues whatsoever (I'll use a high mileage oil if it's on sale when I make my purchase). I have yet to have any issues going back to regular conventional oil for the next oil change.

I've gone back and forth lots and lots of times in my old Sienna, no leaks to speak of yet (except the valve cover gaskets which always seep a little).

The silly stuff people imagine believe about oils is always surprising.

I ran HM for about 20k in an 03 Corolla that had no leaks, no consumption issues. Went with it because of high miles. I couldn't find the HM brand one oil change so I stopped. Used a regular oil. Towards the end of the oil change I started burning oil. Trying to figure out what was going on I noticed a blue smoke at startup. Tried a diff HM oil and the consumption slowly went down and the blue smoke slowly went away. The Corolla eventually needed a head gasket and it was then that I noticed the valve seals are worn out at the valve shaft. leaking oil. It never leaked going back and forth. But it did swell the valve seals making them overly tight, hastening them wearing out.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I've gone back and forth lots and lots of times in my old Sienna, no leaks to speak of yet (except the valve cover gaskets which always seep a little).

The silly stuff people imagine believe about oils is always surprising.

See my comment above I tore engine down to look. but I know from your comment that's not going to matter to you your mind's already made up on the subject

My mind is not made up but here's why it's bogus. Let's say the engine when manufactured had "normal" sized seals. And let's say that you run an oil without any seal sweller in it (is there such a thing?) and the seals stay "normal". Then one day you use HM oil and the seals swell. All is still good, right? No leaks.

Then one day you stop using HM oil and the seals un-swell. At this point they go back to "normal", right? Unless you are going to claim that they shrink to "below normal" because you stopped using HM oil. If a "normal" seal wasn't leaking before then why would it now? Unless of course there was wear somewhere, and at that point the HM oil is going to be beneficial not harmful. If you have wear to the point that a "normal" seal won't seal, then it's going to leak whether or not you ever used HM oil.

And are there any oils that don't have seal swellers in them?

Originally Posted By: Blake1107
My truck is a 2010 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. Little over 90,000 miles on it. Zero leaks or any oil consumption issues, and the dipstick always shows in the safe level at every oil change.....

Agree that your truck's not ready for HM. No leaks or consumption indicate "normal" oil is doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back