Switch to 10w40 in higher temps?

There are 10w40 synthetic options. By the time I need 10W cold start performance, I'm 2 weeks away from needing 5W and a month away from needing 0W.
Quite the motorcycle enthusiasts that actually require 10Wxx.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by userfriendly
There are 10w40 synthetic options. By the time I need 10W cold start performance, I'm 2 weeks away from needing 5W and a month away from needing 0W.
Quite the motorcycle enthusiasts that actually require 10Wxx.

No five quart 10w40 synthetic oil jug specials for them-there motorcycles?

I haven't bought a quart bottle for any passenger vehicle in at least two decades. My Colorado needs six quarts. So I bought two five quart jugs.

Originally Posted by BBQSMOKE
My 2006 Toyota Sequoia will turn 250,000 miles in the next few weeks. I always run 10w30. We are going to take it on a long road trip this summer in hot weather. Any advantage to going with 10w40 or 20w50 for just this trip. The SUV has no problems currently.

If that's the 4.7L you can consider it broken in with another 50,000 mi. Most people I know with those engines run Mobil 1 AP (The standard stuff) 5W-30 for 10,000 mi and they never ever die.

In a moderate climate 10W-30 conventional every 6,000 mi will likely work just as well.

Good time to scoop up 10W40 on Clearance !!

Autozone getting rid of Dino Castrol GTX white bottle 10W40 for $10 a 5qt jug

Advance Auto has some also Carquest HM full Syn and Pennzoil YB 10W40
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Sorry, to clarify I meant Mobil 1 "Advanced" earlier.
I always used "AP" for Advanced Protection and keep forgetting Annual Protection exist now.

Last edited:
Back